ADVERTISEMENT

Status of UR's Coach

unabomber7 u must be right richres is Tracy Woodson. And his 1 post on Woodson on a rarely read board must have gotten him the interview and an apparent finalist. sorry I engaged you it felt like an accusation you'd see back when free yahoo, hotmail & aol accounts were the rage. Clearly you're the one with the real agenda b/c I cant imagine you're a Spider in any real way - alum, student, friend, follower etc. - if you cant figure out GKiller. Let me guess you think I'm posing as some gangster with thousand dollar bills, huh....G? Come on Ted Kaczynski I know you're crazy but I thought at least smart. Too bad webpinner gave it away or you would still be trying to split that atom.

the finalists all look to have some merit, personally I favor Ikenberry that's just me.

I have nothing to add about the coaching search, but I will add that I find this thread highly entertaining.

I understand we had four candidates on campus last week, I guess we know who they were.

I disagree. There is a TON of talent in Virginia. I would prefer Woodson or Ikenberry both of whom have local ties and know local coaches. Baseball recruiting is different because you rely on a lot of "scouts." You have to know the right people to turn you on to the right kids and then a school like UR has to hit on a pretty high percentage. Look at what Adkins did - lots of local kids. We need to focus on Virginia and fill the roster out with others as opposed to the other way around. Like I said before, lots and lots of good baseball around here. We need to use that to our advantage and hire a coach who is already connected.

Based on his bio, Boretti is an outstanding fit for UR baseball. Hope we can get him!

Pike, I totally agree. If we do not get a good group of players from VA., we will not win. Columbia coach looks like a great fit but the local ties of the other two make me feel a lot more comfortable about recruiting. High school baseball in Va. is played on a very high level and we need to be in that mix of players.

I know nothing about Woodson as a guy or a coach, but of course remember him from his playing days. If he's a decent coach and good guy, I would have to think that having played in the majors gives him some sort of leg up for some potential recruits. He's earned some cache there and can use it to attract players, or so I would hope. If you have a chance to play for a guy who's been to the top of a mountain or someone who hasn't, assuming all else is relatively equal, I think you're going with the mountain climber.

The article does not say that. It has more info and those two because of their local ties, the other two are lesser known to the RTD. Good to know that a decision is FINALLY going to be made soon. Took longer to elect a president.

I hope, whoever is chosen, that he gets the tools necessary to compete NATIONALLY. My thoughts are known on improvements, this is the perfect chance for UR to step up. I guess it was basketball's turn for improvements this year.

32, the national scope of Boretti's recruits is amazing. He looks like the guy UR needs in its efforts to be a national liberals arts school.

I think the roster is national due to Columbia, not Columbia baseball. I also think you will find a much wider geographic representation on baseball rosters the farther north you head due to the sports strength in warmer weather states. This guy may be a perfect fit and a terrific coach, but I'm not sure hiring a coach with non-scholarship Ivy League experience is the message some of us are looking for.

Pike, you may have a point. When we hired Chris Mooney was either Princeton or Air Force offering athletic scholarships? I think both schools fall into the same category as Columbia.

This post was edited on 7/16 2:45 PM by Ulla1

that is a good point Ulla, but I think a service academy is a little different. Plus, our commitment to men's basketball has never been questioned. Several of the posters on this topic have questioned UR's commitment to baseball, the facilities, etc and I would imagine a coach with his background is not what they are looking for. Again, I don't know him and may be way off base here.

I know many on here questioned Gill and whether he would make a good first hire as AD. I am encouraged by these candidates. All head coaches with terrific resumes. Personally think Woodson or Ikenberry would be the best fits but the other guys are impressive too. Like what I see and think our baseball future will be just fine.

I found out tonight one of the reasons that this hiring has taken so long. The director of admissions and Ayers chief of staff were in the group who interviewed the applicants. This is a very bad sign for the future. These two ladies would not know a college coach if one jumped up and bit them. I am very concerned that staff outside of the RC are in this process. I totally understand that Ayers has the final ok but Gill doesnt need these people in the mix. This is a first! We can only pray that Rocco and Mooney dont leave. I would not want these people picking our new football or basketball coach. Neither of these two guys would be here if they had been interviewed in this manner. They need to let Gill do the job that he was hired to do.

well maybe Chis and Danny get to interview the next admissions head and the newest english dept prof?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT