ADVERTISEMENT

Smithen and Diekvoss transferring

I sort of like this because it opens us up to bring in two guys who are either transfers themselves or someone else who can help us immediately next year.

Thanks to Kadeem and Chandler for being part of the program, and best of luck elsewhere!

Well, i guess i was wrong that nobody was transferring. Interesting.

Good luck to Chandler and Kadeem.

I think they both realized there wasn't going to be a lot of PT for them in the next few years. I think Smithen could be a good player, but I'm not sure how he would fit into our system. Let's hope we find two shooters to replace them.

I'm sure it was tough for Kadeem to not see much time even though we had a short bench. we add a lot of players next season, so it wasn't likely to get better.
Chandler surprises me more. he'll have to sit out another year. that's a long time between games. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do.
I always think 13 active players is too much. 11 works.

Would be interested to know if this was entirely the players' doing or if the coaching staff told them in no uncertain terms, Hey, you may want to start looking elsewhere.

If the latter, I think it indicates an increased sense of urgency to win now and make the NCAAs next year. Which should be the case. I would expect one of the two spots to be filled by a grad transfer in that case for sure.

Doesn't surprise me too much. Kind of a bummer though as thought Diekvoss was gonna be a three point threat for us. May be a reason he was only getting D2 offers at the time. Smithen seemed to show a lot of energy on the bench and was always smiling. Liked his personality but he was probably looking at Fore ahead of him and maybe Julius as well. Who knows if it was coaches or players or both sitting down together to discuss at end of season. Good luck to those guys.

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Would be interested to know if this was entirely the players' doing or if the coaching staff told them in no uncertain terms, Hey, you may want to start looking elsewhere.

If the latter, I think it indicates an increased sense of urgency to win now and make the NCAAs next year. Which should be the case. I would expect one of the two spots to be filled by a grad transfer in that case for sure.
You mean like this?

CAA leading scorer

Ha, yes. Lee would be perfect for us in many ways. We need a scoring 3. He's from Baltimore. Get it done, Jamal!

I can understand the Smithen situation, with Fore assumed to be healthy and Julius Johnson coming in next year, minutes at the 2 spot are going to be tough to get. Plus you have the late-season emergence of Josh Jones, and there is a real log jam in the guard rotation. Basically two spots with 6 guys to fill them including KS.

The Diekvoss situation is harder to fathom. He will have to sit another year, which could really hurt his development and his confidence. I have to think that the coaching staff must have gotten involved in this decision based on where he was in his development at the end of the season. If he was a decent player, I could see him working into the rotation at the 3 spot especially if he is as good a shooter as has been reported.

More significantly, I see this development as another indictment of our recruiting. Two guys who came into the program, and couldn't make a significant impact in their first year. I hope we can find some high level talent to fill their slots.

In either event, sad to see these young men go, and wish them the best of luck.

Given our systems, I have a hard time sewing us taking a player only available for one year. I hope one of these slots is filled with a big that had to sit next eeason.

It's a shame that schools now "over recruit" and run these kids off early.....happens everywhere though.

Horrible news regarding Smithen. But he probably needs to be in a system where the coach can give him the ball and just tell him to run the show. Lot's of potential there - would like to follow him on the Internet.

Originally posted by MrVCU::
It's a shame that schools now "over recruit" and run these kids off early.....happens everywhere though.
may never know, but so far these are just standard transfers, not recruiting over. that's when you've got #14 line-up up, and someone has to go.
kids leave more than ever now. I wouldn't want to waste my 4 years on a bench either, but sometimes you have to fight and earn playing time. other times, it's not a fit or you see the writing on the wall and you need to move on.

interesting tweet from smithen a week ago. mnaybe CM did say something, who knows. Maybe its a testament to our recruiting, these guys know they are good and won't get PT, so don't want to sit for 4 years

This post was edited on 3/30 5:44 PM by spiders13

This post was edited on 3/30 5:45 PM by spiders13

smithen tweet

Go after a grad transfer.

Wish we saw more of Smithen this year, he'll be good wherever he goes.
This post was edited on 3/30 5:47 PM by SpiderHoops32

CAvuM3nUYAAWCwa.jpg:large

I really liked Smithen. Sorry to see him leave. Diekvoss reminded me of the type that Wisconsin recruits.

MrVCU trolling as usual.

Sad to see this did not work at for these two. Seemed like Diekvoss could eventually develop into that shooter from the wing position we had been lacking, but I could see where maybe Marshall Wood's presence made him question PT in the near future.

Smithen I feel like has some really nice potential. I was secretly hoping he would be a big contributor in the back court next year - just liked the look of his game and his attitude.

I wish these two the best of luck in the future.

Will be interesting to see if we look at a transfer, and if so a grad transfer as mentioned. While I do think taking on grad transfers on a regular basis is not a good policy for team chemistry, maybe we do look for a proven back court mate for ShawnDre for a year?

If we don't go the transfer route do we look at the available 2015 guys? Big news. Kind of exciting to see who we bring in, but sad to see it did not work out for these two guys.

Damion Lee leaving Drexal. Can play immediately. 6'6 guard that lead team in scoring last year.

Hate to see them go too. I do think that if they couldn't beat out DT and TD for those spots then that tells us a lot. Both looked like happy young men with good attitudes. Good luck to both of them.

Not trolling, just find it funny that there's a different "spin" when you have kids leave. I get it though.......

Could this be a result of CM's blind allegiance to players regardless of performance. If you don't feel you're going to get a fair shot at playing time why would you stay?

I guess time will tell if this was good or bad.
My own observation is that Smithen had some skill and a great attitude.
CD seemed to be a good teammate with lots of good videos on the jumbo tons. Plus, I know it's just warm ups, but he has a great stroke from 3 point land and we often remarked how many in a row he made.
Good luck to both guys!

Once upon a time, UR generally honored 4 year scholarships, even though all NCAA scholarships are just for 1 year. In recent years, we seem more players transferring out, and I suspect with coaches' encouragement. Same this time, I expect to see 2 more players signing up shortly, just as we say Marshall Wood recruited shortly after Sparrow's transfer.

If so, what does it say about Friendshuh? Does he have more upside than many here, seem to have thought?

If I can chime in here........;)

I think it might make sense for VCU to add a one year player next year (a big). Partly because we have so many young players in the rotation already.

I like Lee's game and think he could steal minutes from Davis and that might not be a bad thing.

That would mean though that unless Fore or Johnson crack the rotation you'll be playing all juniors and seniors.

Good for next couple years, bad for long term. That being said, they will both probably get significant minutes in Anthony's absence.

Sad to hear this for both. Think that they each figured out and/or were told that they were not going to play.

Interesting that several seemingly knowledgeable posters who saw Diekvoss in practice this year were impressed with his play.

Lee will probably end up at a big-time BCS school that regularly dances. He probably wants to experience that
"BCS" look and feel after the Drexel "High School Gym" experience. Like Luke Hancock jumping to Louisville.

UR's the revolving door these days...........Diekvoss, Smithen, Luke P, TJ Cline, Marshall Wood, Wayne Sparrow, Singleton, etc. Failed attempt at JJ Avila.

Transfers, redshirts, departures..................can't keep track of all the comings and goings in Spider-land.

Desperation on Three Chopt.

Yeah, I envy programs like VCU where no one ever transfers out and everyone plays all the minutes they want to.

Oh, wait.

Not surprised by Smithen, I mean how many guards does one team need? If not this year probably either him or Fore would be leaving next year. I was seeing SDJ gets 30 minutes at PG with 10 for either Smithen/Fore next year along with JJ 20 and hopefully JJ2 20 at SG. I know I left TD out of the mix. So now I guess we know who the backup PG will be. Don't see this being a big loss.

Diekvoss somewhat surprised but looking at the roster, he probably wasn't going to see the court next season unless a blowout. I mean you have ANO, TA, TJ, MW, DT, and I guess TD being the small forward. If UR goes big initial 5 hopefully take up most of the 120 minutes and TD gets some. His absence might hurt only if CD became that SF sharp shooter off the bench for instant offense which they could have used this year and now won't possess next yearl. Only time will tell how good he becomes and if CM miscalculated by not having him available this year.

Lewis, Williams, Tillman, Gilmore, Alie-Cox, Burgess, Graham, Weber, Larrier, Johnson, Brooks, Guest.

All four-year guys. Same as Brandenberg, Reddic, Theus, Daniels, Rozzell, Rodriguez, Nixon, B. Burgess, etc.

Three newbies.......all HS frosh. Mack, Murph, Williams. The beat goes on.

Continuity. Next man up.

Transfers out..........Simmons, Lyles, Okereafor, Tuoyo, McCarter, Houston, etc. To be expected -- it's called playing time. Hard for young guys to get minutes on a perennial NCAA squad.

I suggest that Mooney be banned from recruiting any more international players. Or at least from Canada and Australia. Martel was hot and cold, Smithen is gone, Duinker never developed. Let's cut down on the recruiting travel budget and maybe spend it elsewhere for a couple years.

re: Could this be a result of CM's blind allegiance to players regardless of performance.

How about the result that the kids realized that maybe they just weren't good enough, and decided to find a place to play.

Time will tell where they end up. The best to both of them. Anyway you measure it they both were also many miles from home. Maybe they want to be closer?

only the players and coaches know why these guys are leaving, but it's just another couple of disappointing recruiting misses...I think we've had three, or four, out of the last couple of classes...

recruiting is the most important thing a coach and his staff do...I think it's the part of our program that needs the most improvement...

there may be more, but I can think of only two recruits since the 2011 year that were able to come in and make a significant contribution as a true freshman...our program and supporting university, league, facilities etc. should be able to do better...

recruiting misses, and the need to redshirt so often, shorten the rotation putting us at some disadvantage versus deeper programs...particularly when injuries occur...

I hope we can do better...

Go Spiders!

The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page

Another reason we need a new assistant coach. Someone not from the program or the Mooney tree, who has some experience and who can recruit. Please.

Nice to see our friends from Broad Street after such a long absence. I would have thought they would be trolling on UT Austin boards tonight on #shakawatch.

It will be interesting to see where these guys wind up to see if they were a10 level players or not,

They seeme like good kids, I wish them luck, Smithen's enthusiasm on the bench will be missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT