ADVERTISEMENT

Smithen and Diekvoss transferring

URI would be my main concern. Same conference, but I think Hurley is a much better recruiter than anyone on our staff and not to mention - URI had a lot of good young players this past season, so even if he had to sit out a year - they would still have a very good team in 2 years. For us - the future is not so certain. If he could play right away - we are the best fit. But if he has to sit a year - I would give the edge to URI.

Originally posted by SpiderTrap:
URI would be my main concern. Same conference, but I think Hurley is a much better recruiter than anyone on our staff and not to mention - URI had a lot of good young players this past season, so even if he had to sit out a year - they would still have a very good team in 2 years. For us - the future is not so certain. If he could play right away - we are the best fit. But if he has to sit a year - I would give the edge to URI.
In two years, he would be playing with two seniors who are three year starters in SDJ and TJCline. There will certainly be some other talent around those guys, so I don't think that would be a compelling factor to not select UR.

Trap - how can you say Hurley is a better recruiter? Have you ever been recruited by Mooney or Hurley? Have you ever met either of them? The coaches on our staff are very easy to talk to, very approachable and likable. I'm not sure how that translates on the recruiting trail but I would think very favorably. Given what I know about both schools I would think Richmond is a much easier sell that URI - better location, better campus, better school, and a better basketball program for a longer period of time.

ok, I'll bite......who has he brought in? What has he won? I'll admit they look pretty good, but I just love the blanket statements made on here. No facts, no basis in reality, but written with such conviction!

Originally posted by URPike:
Given what I know about both schools I would think Richmond is a much easier sell that URI - better location, better campus, better school, and a better basketball program for a longer period of time.
You seem to have helped Trap is his assessment. Yes I know stars (facts) shouldn't matter much but it's all the we have and went to VC and saw RI at 3.03 and UR at 2.24 for averages. CM as you stated has an advantage too which I agree with. Only conclusion for me would be to say DH >>> CM.

re: You seem to have helped Trap is his assessment. Yes I know stars (facts) shouldn't matter much but it's all the we have and went to VC and saw RI at 3.03 and UR at 2.24 for averages. CM as you stated has an advantage too which I agree with. Only conclusion for me would be to say DH >>> CM.

if that is what YOU want to go on, so be it, but he must be a lousy coach, because he's taken his "superior talent" to exactly 0 NCAA tournaments.

Originally posted by LongTimeLurkerFirstTimePoster:
re: You seem to have helped Trap is his assessment. Yes I know stars (facts) shouldn't matter much but it's all the we have and went to VC and saw RI at 3.03 and UR at 2.24 for averages. CM as you stated has an advantage too which I agree with. Only conclusion for me would be to say DH >>> CM.

if that is what YOU want to go on, so be it, but he must be a lousy coach, because he's taken his "superior talent" to exactly 0 NCAA tournaments.
Didn't know we were discussing that but good point and glad you stop lurking.

Hurley coached 2 years at Wagner. 13-17, then 25-5.
his three years at URI have gone 8-21, 14-18, now 23-10.
I'd say he's doing great.

Originally posted by spiderman:
Hurley coached 2 years at Wagner. 13-17, then 25-5.
his three years at URI have gone 8-21, 14-18, now 23-10.
I'd say he's doing great.
Hurley inherited a train wreck at URI and I think his record over those 3 years speaks for itself. The caliber of recruit he has been able to bring in during a rebuilding process has also been impressive. Is he better than CM? Tough to compare a guy 3 years in to a guy who has been at a program for 10 years. Has he outrecruited CM over the past 3 years, to me the answer that question is yes.

same old excuse, but very different recruit profile at URI. you can cast a much wider net. that said, Hurley's done very well. if he dances next year, I could see him getting offers he can't refuse.

I assume you guys referring to when Graham and/or Weber were going to get drafted were saying third round or after tongue in cheek? I'm sure you guys were aware that the NBA stops after 2 rounds?

Hurley was also a hell of a recruiter when he was coaching high school in Jersey, too.

But given the list of transfers out in the past 2 years -- Butler, Hare, Minnis, Reischel, Powell, Holtan, Aaman -- I'm thinking there's something to the "raving lunatic" comment, or at least some smoke in that direction. Anyone who acts like he does on the sideline is definitely closer to the Mike Rice end of the spectrum, which usually ends badly.

Kneepad, Dan Hurley definitely has anger issues. I saw plenty of it right in front of me.

Never been recruited by Hurley - but I think the general consensus is that he is a recruiter, so that is why I give him the nod over Mooney in terms of recruiting. I also have never been recruited by Calipari, but I think safe to assume - he is a better recrruiter than Mooney and Hurley.

Mooney is probably a better coach or game manager in terms of X's and O's and strategy.

But that is the battle in college hoops - you have some coaches, who I think Mooney falls under - who try to find guys who fit their system or strategy. Many times - this might mean taking under the radar guys or guys who don't have top 100 recruit status or 3 stars, etc..but the coach feels like they are the piece that fits in their style of play and they can develop.

Then you have guys who simply say - lets get the best players and let them play. I think Hurley fits into that category. I believe he has already gotten at least 1 top recruit at URI, which is saying something considering how bad they had been recently.

And yes - URI probably has lower standards that allow them to recruit more players - but again, that is a self inflicted restriction the University of Richmond places upon itself, so I don't like holding it against other programs just because they choose to allow lower standards. We could allow lower standards too - its not the NCAA or A10 holding us back, it is simply our own decision. And I don't totally disagree with it - but if that is your decision, deal with it - and don't use it as an excuse as to why we can't get some players. Find the players we can get and make it work.

Originally posted by kneepadmckinney:

Hurley was also a hell of a recruiter when he was coaching high school in Jersey, too.

But given the list of transfers out in the past 2 years -- Butler, Hare, Minnis, Reischel, Powell, Holtan, Aaman -- I'm thinking there's something to the "raving lunatic" comment, or at least some smoke in that direction. Anyone who acts like he does on the sideline is definitely closer to the Mike Rice end of the spectrum, which usually ends badly.

Hurley acts like a unhinged a** during the game, someone who has very little control over there anger. He definitely has the look of a "raving lunatic" at times. You have to imagine that he just does not turn that persona on for game situations. As great of a recruiter, as he seems to be, I would not in anyway want him coaching here. And I am usually all about the bottom line in terms of winning and losing, but could see this ending badly.

Originally posted by SpiderHoops32:
Smithen to Siena. Wish him the best of luck.

Smithen to Siena
Siena has been a good program in the past, but they haven't been good since Fran McCaffery left for Iowa in 2010. Hopefully they can get back on track with Smithen there. I hope he has a great career.

Wish nothing but the very best for Kadeem. He was one of the most enthusiastic Spiders and a very good player. Siena is fortunate to get him.

We try to keep a low profile regarding players who transfer to D-2 schools. It would upset the worldview of the rose colored glasses crowd.

Impressive that track legend Jesse Owens took a break from being dead to tweet congratulations to Chandler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT