ADVERTISEMENT

UMass leaving A10

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Going to the MAC in all sports, evidently, per Nicole Auerbach. Interesting. They've been core A10 members forever.

• Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
whoa. feels like Temple situation where they are totally irrelevant for the sake of football. They weren't really relevant in A10 much anymore, but still had a tiny bit of name cache when listing the conference's schools, because unlike some other league members, they've actually had hoops success. They also gave URI some company in the region. I don't like it.

apparently they don't sponsor men's lax

Pretty sure urfan1 was referring to the MAC. So that's true, UMass can just stay in the A-10 for lax as an affiliate member. Unless they decide to affiliate somewhere else now that the broader A-10 relationship will be severed. Have to assume we'd want them to stay, as opposed to kicking them out of spite. Easiest path to retaining the auto.

Reactions: urfan1
Another basketball school sacrificing everything to support one of the worst football programs in D-1. Make it stop.

And the MAC is pretty blah in football anyway too.

They haven't added much to A10 men's hoops in a while but I'm still sorry to see go. UMass was a big state school and I think that created some stability among the other big schools in A10. 1 more gone.

Reactions: urfan1
MAC basketball is atrocious................makes the A-10 look like world beaters

They've had some solid teams over the years. We had the home-and-home series with Toledo. Kent State has been good fairly often. Akron and Ohio have had flashes.

But they're awful this year...24th rated conference by KenPom after being 19th and 20th the past two seasons. They used to be pretty consistently in the 12–13 range and were even as high as 9th in 2018–19, two spots ahead of the A-10.

Kick LaSalle and Fordham out to get down to 12, then add Charleston or Belmont to get to 13 and everyone can play 6 teams once and 6 others twice and we're all set.
No conference will kick a member out. Unless 12 members of the league want to form a new conference they’re in the conference, and that’s fine. La Salle was in the Sweet 16 after us, anyway.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I don't mind having some perennial "less-thans." In the bad years it gives me comfort to know there are a few games we can most likely win.

They've had some solid teams over the years. We had the home-and-home series with Toledo. Kent State has been good fairly often. Akron and Ohio have had flashes.

But they're awful this year...24th rated conference by KenPom after being 19th and 20th the past two seasons. They used to be pretty consistently in the 12–13 range and were even as high as 9th in 2018–19, two spots ahead of the A-10.
The decline at Buffalo has really hurt the MAC. UB really had it going with Oats, now after two coaching changes they are really struggling.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Feels like Buffalo was a flash in the pan, striking gold with Bobby Hurley and Oats but unable to hang onto either one and just running out of hiring luck.

Feels like Buffalo was a flash in the pan, striking gold with Bobby Hurley and Oats but unable to hang onto either one and just running out of hiring luck.
UB was at least competitive under Reggie Witherspoon. Now they are awful, and Reggie took Canisius to the dumper. Should be his last year there.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Coachella misses winning layup with 5 seconds left, I think UMass will hold on…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT