ADVERTISEMENT

Robbie Avila - 2022 Offer/Visit

they're all different, and I think all very good. my amateur analysis:

Avila seems like the craftiest, and he's an absolute knock down shooter. seems the least athletic of the bunch but it doesn't hurt him, at least not offensively. Larry Bird-lite.

Buchanan is a specimen. 6'7" 228. the elevation on some of his dunks is insane. he's tough, strong, and has put up some monster rebounding games. great motor. likely the strongest defender of the group.

Hunger shot 42% from 3 last year. he's got a set shot 3, but that works at his size. biggest of the 3. I think he's a positional overlap with Walz, but they could play together. love his interviews.

Agreed they're all different. The main reason I have Avila over Buchanan is positional need. Even with Walz, we could use another big even if Grace and Sal come back for another year.

Buchanan brings a lot and would love to have him, but I don't think a wing is a huge need in this class...Burton and Crabtree (plus Nick) are around for the short-term, and we've got Dji, Randolph, and maybe Dread coming up behind them, though those guys are on the shorter side.

to me Buchanan would be the Cayo replacement at what I call the 4. put him next to Burton and we have a sick pair of strong athletic forwards who rebound like crazy. we dont have that guy on the roster.

I'm 99% sure Grace comes back and 90% sure Sal comes back. I don't want to rank these guys. I'll be really happy with any of them. they all fit, just differently. whoever wants it first gets it.

to me Buchanan would be the Cayo replacement at what I call the 4. put him next to Burton and we have a sick pair of strong athletic forwards who rebound like crazy. we dont have that guy on the roster.

I'm 99% sure Grace comes back and 90% sure Sal comes back. I don't want to rank these guys. I'll be really happy with any of them. they all fit, just differently. whoever wants it first gets it.
Thanks for summarizing the view on each. Very interesting perspective.

Reactions: spiderman
Avila's apparent (lack of) athleticism does concern me, if I'm being honest. But--he's getting offers out the wazoo, so it's clearly not as much an issue to people who know better than me. I'd just prefer Hunger and Buchanan to him.

he's super skilled though. he'll never be a track star but a college level strength and conditioning program will help a lot.

Don't know anything first hand about these guys and definitely know enough to not look at highlight clips to judge. But my "Spidey sense" is we may be selling Avila a little short on the athleticism. I think his "look" may lead us to perhaps lower our expectations - - - but coaches know how to look past that and at potential and as noted above, the offers surely seem to indicate others aren't so worried? As I am all about the upside, I think he has the most so he'd be my choice.

One thing that is super important to understand (and we can't with what we get here) is what is the athleticism of the people he is playing against in games or film etc. That more than anything will color ones view without realizing it.

Reactions: gcarter52
Avila looks like he has a great feel for the game. Like athleticism, that can't really be taught either IMO. I'm hoping he is not worried about Walz taking his potential spot, I think Avila can play either front court spot. Hopefully we can pry him away from the mid west schools.

We are out of the running for Robbie...down to three MVC schools and App State, committing on Saturday. Kinda surprised Loyola isn't in the mix...great program and they seem to need some bigs with Krutwig gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman
Now I’m just waiting for, “Have you heard the word?”

from the same recruiting cycle:

Luke Hunger - 1.3 ppg at NW (only played in 3/5 games so far, barely played last year.)
Darren Buchanan - started at VT, transferred to GW. 10.5 ppg/4.8 rpg.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
from the same recruiting cycle:

Luke Hunger - 1.3 ppg at NW (only played in 3/5 games so far, barely played last year.)
Darren Buchanan - started at VT, transferred to GW. 10.5 ppg/4.8 rpg.
Read that wrong. Thought you said he was a starter as a freshman at VT, not that it was his first school.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
"PASpider, please report to the head coach's office. Bring your ID badge, name tag, playbook, university credit card and keys to the facility...."

• Haha
Reactions: PASpider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT