ADVERTISEMENT

Robbie Avila - 2022 Offer/Visit

Bradley draws decently well, but the arena is definitely larger than they need on a regular basis. It's a public arena, not a private on-campus one.

Breakdown of his EYBL squad...everything I see and read about him makes it look like he's a perfect fit for us.

ROBBIE AVILA​

Big

6-9 and 220 pounds

Robbie Avila is a modernized, polished big man with an advanced understanding of the game and how to pick his spots. Avila is a high level processor and decision maker as a short roll weapon with touch at all three levels. With a palpable feel for the game, Avila allows Meanstreets to throw out a 5 out set or can play alongside in Jalen Washington in a big lineup. Avila is never sped up and has the ability to create his own shot in the low post or with a hand in his face on the perimeter. A Jokic-esque step back perimeter shot along with natural passing instincts make Avila a unique weapon for a high powered group. Avila enhances the skillset of the players around him by routinely making long leak out passes and setting up transition opportunities. A prominent rebounder who uses his lower body strength and instincts to routinely out-position bigger, longer defenders.

Recruitment Status: Loyola-Chicago, Richmond, Southern Illinois, Toledo, Appalachian State and Wyoming

Agree. Appears to have the skill set to shine as a Spider...plus it would be poetic justice to land an Avila. Hopefully, Admissions would not blow it again.
Hopefully they only blow it on players with initials. AD, JJ…

Robbie’s team will be playing in the Peach Jam semis tonight at 7 ET on ESPNU.

Reactions: plydogg
I did not and haven’t spotted a box score. His team lost by a few and I didn’t see him mentioned as a top stat guy.

I think Hunger can play big forward, so yes he'd be an amazing add. but I do think he's the longer shot now. he seems more like our prototypical 5 than a forward. Avila on the other hand I think projects at the big forward spot as well as playing some 5 when needed.

I agree from the highlights Hunger gets the edge but I'd be very happy with Avila too.

btw I know it's stupid to compare any big 6'8" white kid to Larry Bird, but there's something familiar about his form when he fakes a 3 and dribbles into another. very smooth. kid is highly skilled. a great passer and a "lights out" shooter. athleticism doesn't jump off the charts, but that looks improvable in a college program.

That would be foolish. You can never have too many big men.
Agree, and my guess is we are still 100% after him, but he could be backing off us some because of the Walz commitment. That happens a lot in recruiting. And, other teams could be using the "why go there, they just got Walz" stuff.

Agree, and my guess is we are still 100% after him, but he could be backing off us some because of the Walz commitment. That happens a lot in recruiting. And, other teams could be using the "why go there, they just got Walz" stuff.
I guess that is why Akeem and Ralph became the twin towers!! We should sell this concept with Avila. Go for itSpiders!!

Reactions: urfan1
yeah, you'd have to sell Avila that the plan is to play them together. Walz is a 5. I think Avila can play the 4 or the 5. we probably recruited him as a Grant in our offense as he's a the guy we'd run the offense through. but we could still do that with him and Walz together. Walz might be better as a Cayo offensively anyway.

Reactions: gcarter52
yeah, you'd have to sell Avila that the plan is to play them together. Walz is a 5. I think Avila can play the 4 or the 5. we probably recruited him as a Grant in our offense as he's a the guy we'd run the offense through. but we could still do that with him and Walz together. Walz might be better as a Cayo offensively anyway.
Let’s get them both, they compliment each other well!!

The story my brain has concocted here is that Mooney saw Robbie didn't list us as being among the hardest going after him, so Mooney hopped on a plane to pay him a visit.

Bursting my own bubble here...we just started a dead period, so no in-person recruiting of any kind is allowed. In fact, all of August is either dead or quiet, so no traveling to see recruits until after Labor Day.

Mooney's probably just visiting Steve Thomas.

Bursting my own bubble here...we just started a dead period, so no in-person recruiting of any kind is allowed. In fact, all of August is either dead or quiet, so no traveling to see recruits until after Labor Day.

Mooney's probably just visiting Steve Thomas.
How do they define in person? if you zoom from 10 feet away does that count? ;)

Hmmm...a recruiting contact is defined as face-to-face saying anything more than hello. So Zooming while within physical sight of each other, probably not okay. Sitting around a corner from each other? Maybe you could get away with that, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Looks like Robbie will taking a visit to UNI the first weekend in October with a 2023 teammate from his EYBL squad.

Avila taking an official visit to Indiana State this weekend, and then the UNI visit we already knew about.

Avila interest seems to be almost exclusively Midwest schools. He is from IL after all. We look like an outlier. Now sometimes that can be a real advantage. I don't know why but I get feeling that isn't the case for us here.

Reactions: spiderman
Avila interest seems to be almost exclusively Midwest schools. He is from IL after all. We look like an outlier. Now sometimes that can be a real advantage. I don't know why but I get feeling that isn't the case for us here.
Agreed. This could be a case that he is looking for a school closer to home, if so, there is not too much we can do about that.

Agree with this assessment. He seems destined for the midwest/MVC to me.

I find it very interesting that we haven't made other offers for this last spot. It seems we're set on waiting on Avila, Hunger and Buchanan. I have to think we believe we have a good shot to get one.

if we start making new offers, then we'll know where we think we stand with this group.

I find it very interesting that we haven't made other offers for this last spot. It seems we're set on waiting on Avila, Hunger and Buchanan. I have to think we believe we have a good shot to get one.

if we start making new offers, then we'll know where we think we stand with this group.
Interesting observation, thanks. Who are we hoping for? Hunger?

My order of preference is Hunger, Avila, Buchanan, but I think any of them would be solid additions.

My order of preference is Hunger, Avila, Buchanan, but I think any of them would be solid additions.
Interesting. I would reverse Buchanan and Avila on my list, but that’s based on watching 1 highlight reel for each and comparing the offers from other schools as my research.

Hunger looks like a beast!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT