Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Standings 10/28

Delaware 4-0 6-1
Richmond 5-1 6-3
Villanova 4-1 6-2
UAlbany 4-1 6-3
Elon 4-1 4-4

Albany will have played 12 regular season games in 2023 including 2 FBS (Marshall and Hawaii)

Last edited:
12 games didn't think that was allowed, how did that happen?

11/4:
———

Nova @ UNH

WM @ Albany

Elon @UDel

11/11:
———

Towson @ Nova

UDel @ Campbell

Albany @ SBU

Elon @UR

11/18:
———

Monmouth @Albany

Nova @UDel

UR @WM

Hampton @Elon
Thanks

Good to see in one spot, no one has a shoe in. Just need to handle business on Spider end.

Any Given Saturday crowd giving Spiders a little love now after the slow start.
The AFCA poll I wonder about when they do not have Albany ranked.

Rank​
Team:​
Total Points​
First Place Votes​
1​
South Dakota State Jackrabbits
1225​
49​
2​
Furman Paladins
1142​
3​
Idaho Vandals
1085​
4​
Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
1055​
5​
Montana State Bobcats
1013​
6​
Montana Grizzlies
987​
7​
Sac State Hornets
952​
8​
South Dakota Coyotes
820​
9​
Southern Illinois Salukis
760​
10​
Incarnate Word Cardinals
754​
11​
North Dakota State Bison
694​
12​
Chattanooga Mocs
585​
13​
North Carolina Central Eagles
581​
14​
Villanova Wildcats
480​
15T​
North Dakota Fighting Hawks
451​
15T​
Western Carolina Catamounts
451​
17​
Youngstown State Penguins
432​
18​
Albany Great Danes
381​
19​
Northern Iowa Panthers
352​
20​
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
345​
21​
Lafayette Leopards
342​
22​
Austin Peay Governors
304​
23​
Mercer Bears
248​
24​
Florida A&M Rattlers
215​
25​
Harvard Crimson
75​
ORV:
26​
Holy Cross Crusaders
63​
27​
Central Arkansas Bears
38​
28​
Richmond Spiders
37​
29​
William & Mary Tribe
25​
30​
Tarleton Texans
11​
31​
Eastern Illinois Panthers
8​
32​
Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
6​
33​
Elon Phoenix
3​
34​
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
2​
35​
Tennessee State Tigers
2​
36​
Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
1​

Any Given Saturday crowd giving Spiders a little love now after the slow start.
The AFCA poll I wonder about when they do not have Albany ranked.

Rank​
Team:​
Total Points​
First Place Votes​
1​
South Dakota State Jackrabbits
1225​
49​
2​
Furman Paladins
1142​
3​
Idaho Vandals
1085​
4​
Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
1055​
5​
Montana State Bobcats
1013​
6​
Montana Grizzlies
987​
7​
Sac State Hornets
952​
8​
South Dakota Coyotes
820​
9​
Southern Illinois Salukis
760​
10​
Incarnate Word Cardinals
754​
11​
North Dakota State Bison
694​
12​
Chattanooga Mocs
585​
13​
North Carolina Central Eagles
581​
14​
Villanova Wildcats
480​
15T​
North Dakota Fighting Hawks
451​
15T​
Western Carolina Catamounts
451​
17​
Youngstown State Penguins
432​
18​
Albany Great Danes
381​
19​
Northern Iowa Panthers
352​
20​
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
345​
21​
Lafayette Leopards
342​
22​
Austin Peay Governors
304​
23​
Mercer Bears
248​
24​
Florida A&M Rattlers
215​
25​
Harvard Crimson
75​
ORV:
26​
Holy Cross Crusaders
63​
27​
Central Arkansas Bears
38​
28​
Richmond Spiders
37​
29​
William & Mary Tribe
25​
30​
Tarleton Texans
11​
31​
Eastern Illinois Panthers
8​
32​
Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
6​
33​
Elon Phoenix
3​
34​
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
2​
35​
Tennessee State Tigers
2​
36​
Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
1​

Paward is our AGS insider

Says we have no ranked wins, wasn't URI ranked when we beat them?

All projections at this point. Love the statement in that article that Spiders with another loss at WM may get left out at 7-4. Probability of getting in at 8-3 must be improving! Still believing that if we win the next two we are in playoffs.
I believe you are right about 8-3 getting in, due to winning six in a row and 7 of last 8. The committee sometimes takes injuries into account and the Hampton loss may get considered.

The three games to watch this weekend IMO are.

Villanova at New Hampshire. Spiders need to be huge New Hampshire fans Saturday. A Nova loss gives them two losses and they finish the season at Delaware. Delaware has not fared well vs Villanova lately, even in Villanova down years. Nova beating Delaware and Spiders winning out make Spiders co-champions and they are in, regardless of what else happens, but Nova winning this weekend and beating Delaware, would result in tri-champions possibly and Spiders have the worse losses in that scenario.

W&M vs Albany. Albany is in at 8-4 and their last two games on paper are Albany wins, but with a loss to W&M gives them two losses in conference and Spiders winning out would finish ahead.
I just do not know if W&M can handle them, but the W&M QB has begun to show a little life throwing the ball and running it is a given for them most games.

Elon at Delaware. Spiders need both to lose, but Delaware the most just to give them a loss, but an Elon loss ends their playoff chances, and I would rather Spiders not be in a playoff game for both teams on Nov 11th. Problem with this game is Delaware is really good this year and I do not think Elon can handle them; I hope I am wrong.

The biggest problem with 7-4 finish is the fact that Missouri Valley conference and the Big Sky have 4 or 5 really good teams each that will likely get the nod if they finish 7-4 before CAA teams from a watered-down conference with the same record. I hope I am wrong about this also.

No. 24 William & Mary at No. 23 UAlbany

RELATED: What’s At Stake For UAlbany vs. William & Mary?

Get the ice baths ready. This one will be a 60-minute fight in the trenches.

UAlbany is No. 4 in rushing yards allowed per game (86.2) and is the No. 5 overall graded defense on PFF, led by some dudes up front like Anton Juncaj and AJ Simon, who have a combined 28.5 tackles for loss. They help keep Dylan Kelly clean, who already has 108 total tackles. W&M wants to run the ball behind a big o-line, ranking No. 10 in the FCS with 225.6 rushing yards per game.

UAlbany will be fixing to stop the run and make Darius Wilson beat them with his arm. He had one of his better passing days last week, but W&M is not as comfortable if the ground game can’t get going. On the flipside, UAlbany offers a more explosive attack with QB Reese Poffenbarger (2,161 yards, 22 TDs, 6 INT). W&M has a ferocious d-line led by Nate Lynn and John Pius, who have a combined 15.5 sacks.

The offensive lines will be key here. For W&M, it’ll be to establish the run. For UAlbany, it’ll be to keep Poffenbarger clean. At home and with a more explosive offense, I’ll lean toward UAlbany.

Prediction: UAlbany 28-21

——————————

Elon at No. 5 Delaware

Delaware looks to keep its unbeaten FCS record intact this week.

Standing in its way is a 4-4 Elon team that isn’t out of the playoff hunt just yet. The Phoenix already knocked off a No. 5 team earlier this year, beating William & Mary 14-6 in late September. Can they do it again? Probably not. Delaware is just rolling right now despite injuries to its QB room. Standout starter Ryan O’Connor has missed the last couple of games. Zach Marker stepped in just fine, but he also got dinged up last week.

Whoever starts this week, whether it’s another new starter or O’Connor or Marker returning, he has a number of impressive playmakers to work with. Marcus Yarns has been a great complement to the passing game, rushing for 700 yards and 13 scores. Elon has yet to score over 30 points in a game this year, and that’s not a great spot to be trying to keep up with the high-powered Delaware offense.

Prediction: Delaware 31-21

From HeroSports

Last edited:
Tribe in trouble, down 17–0 with the third winding down. Just had 1st and Goal at the 6 and couldn’t get it in in four tries.

Still lots of time left, but Elon is up two TDs on the Chickens.

UNH up three on ‘Nova, but the Cats are driving and plenty of time left.

W&M is toast, lost 24-8, nova over UNH by 12 final

Last edited:
Great if Elon holds on. Definitely will take either Villinova or Delaware out of picture when they play each other if we win out

UD fumbles on Elon 14 lets Elon run out clock final Elon 33-27

Wow, UD driving for the game-winning TD and fumbles at the Elon 12. Game over.

On the face of it, I don't love the 5-way tie given our bad losses, but we're gonna have to win out for any shot, so that would take care of Elon. And UD and Nova will have to battle it out. I'm not sure a UD loss in that one knocks them out, but their schedule is awfully soft. Albany is in good shape.

On the face of it, I don't love the 5-way tie given our bad losses, but we're gonna have to win out for any shot, so that would take care of Elon. And UD and Nova will have to battle it out. I'm not sure a UD loss in that one knocks them out, but their schedule is awfully soft. Albany is in good shape.
Agree. At this point all we can do is win out and keep our fingers crossed. The Morgan State and Hampton losses count as 4 losses.

Agree. At this point all we can do is win out and keep our fingers crossed. The Morgan State and Hampton losses count as 4 losses.
Amazingly after those loses we still have a huge game against Elon next Sat. All we can do is win out like you said…tough games but winnable. Much more fun than we all expected back in September. Hope some folks show up. I’ll be there.

Disagree.Right now UD in,Nova in,Albany in.Hopefully, Elon will be ranked on Monday.
Largely agree, but with the "right now" qualifier. Albany should win out so a shoo in. Good team. Deserve it.

Spiders take out a ranked Elon, the more convincing the better, take care of the Tribe, they are seriously in the discussion.

CAA unlikely to get 4 in, so someone is going to be the odd man out.

Just win baby! All we can do and leave the rest to the football gods. Go Spiders!

If Spiders win out we will most likely be tied with two other squads for the Championship at 7-1. Probably UAlbany and Nova/DE winner.

In the case of a three way tie at the top, what is the CAA’s tiebreaker for the auto-bid?

Go Spiders!

It can't be more than a three way tie for first if we win out. If we beat Elon then they have 2 losses. UD and Villanova play 11/18 and someone leaves that one with a loss unless they tie. That would leave three teams with 1 loss and you got to believe those three get in and the 2 loss team could stay home or all 4 go to playoffs. Regardless its clear our probability of getting in playoffs via at-large is far from zero as some have said. Lets pull together and support this team and get two more wins and hope the committee recognizes our more recent accomplishments than our early season failures. Tie-breakers will come into play for auto and committee will have a lot to decide on selection Sunday regarding at-large bids. Should be a great game Saturday and as fans we need to get out and support this team and hope they take care of business and get a win that hopefully will move us back in Top 25 and move us up in power rankings.

I believe first tiebreaker is head-to-head, but UR, Albany, and UD/'Nova would not have all played each other.

Then I believe it goes to highest common opponent. UR/Albany/Delaware do not have a single opponent in common. UR/Albany/'Nova have both URI and Stony Brook in common, and URI would be the highest one, but all three of us beat them. Same with Stony Brook (Albany hasn't played them yet, but would obviously have to beat them to get to the 7–1 tie).

So...I'm not exactly sure what happens then. I believe Sagarin Ratings come into play at some point, and we're currently well behind the other three in that and I'm not sure we can realistically catch up.

• Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT