ADVERTISEMENT

Albany(9-3,7-1)

Albany is pretty well beaten-up. Their main RB is a frosh. He had a great game against Idaho, but he was visibly a mess towards the end of the game. The same is the case with their star WR Bevins, who had 231 receiving yards. Albany rarely subs its front 7, so they will also be in rough shape. Layer in the long travel on a short week, I would say Albany may lose this game.

It's incredible how far behind the elite FCS teams we are. SDSU is as solid as most non power 4 FBS teams.

Reactions: urfan1
35-0 at the half. Lots of stuff, including a very good opponent, working against Albany. Last touchdown catch was defended by Aamir Hall, former UR d-back.

I would love to see a switch to neutral sites for the semifinals. CAA (and other East Coast teams) are definitely are at a disadvantage when traveling west. Not just time zone differences, but also altitude and especially December weather. It's a different kind of cold that you can't become acclimated to in a few days, so don't give me this "they all have to play in the same weather". Plus, with the top two teams having home field advantage this really stacks the deck every year. When is the last time that NDSU lost at home against a non-league opponent?? While I agree that CAA programs are far behind but at least they can level the playing field some. Maybe if the CAA didn't have to play in the likes of Montana, eastern Washington, and Dakotas every year, we might have a fighting chance.

But that will never happen ($$$)

I would love to see a switch to neutral sites for the semifinals. CAA (and other East Coast teams) are definitely are at a disadvantage when traveling west. Not just time zone differences, but also altitude and especially December weather. It's a different kind of cold that you can't become acclimated to in a few days, so don't give me this "they all have to play in the same weather". Plus, with the top two teams having home field advantage this really stacks the deck every year. When is the last time that NDSU lost at home against a non-league opponent?? While I agree that CAA programs are far behind but at least they can level the playing field some. Maybe if the CAA didn't have to play in the likes of Montana, eastern Washington, and Dakotas every year, we might have a fighting chance.

But that will never happen ($$$)
Rick - the East Coast teams need USMC cold weather training!

Reactions: gcarter52
Seeds and home games are big advantages in playoffs. Travel, home field advantage and preparation time are huge. I agree with Rick regarding neutral field for semifinals. Don’t forget both seeded CAA teams advanced to final 8 and one to final four. We are fine in this conference at this point.

Reactions: gcarter52
SDSU looked quicker and faster in all aspects of the game. Nova game was totally different
and SDSU based on Nova looked beatable. Night and day from one week to the next.

SDSU is a really good team. They wouldn't have won 59-0 in Albany, but they would have won by plenty there.

Reactions: urfan1
SDSU is a really good team. They wouldn't have won 59-0 in Albany, but they would have won by plenty there.
Others mentioned the quick turnaround as a factor and while I agree SDSU was going to win the game. I think Albany getting the Friday night game was not the luckiest think that could have happened, as I believe they did not get home until late Sunday from the week before. Seems NDSU and Montana would have been a better choice for that time slot and give Albany another day of prep, but ESPN probably set the times and $$$$ were the reason, if I had to guess.

I cannot remember if the Spider 38-0 drubbing at the hands of Eastern Washington occurred on a Friday night years ago, but I know they had to travel back-to-back weekends out west just like Albany did.

Furman did not need to lose to Wofford or whoever it was the last game of the regular season this year, or an eastern team would have had a high seed and maybe the question gets answered a little.

CAA teams that make playoffs in future will need to have no slip-ups in conference play with the conference play so unbalanced. One misstep and it is on the road time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT