ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining relevant CAA Games for UR

If Delaware loses to Villanova Saturday and we beat W&M, their schedule and quality wins are not that different from ours , especially with us beating Elon? Agree or different opinions

I am concerned that outside of the low chance of getting the auto, there's a high likelihood that we'd have to be a fourth bid out of the CAA.

UD and 'Nova are in solid shape and playing each other isn't likely to hurt the loser much. UD probably doesn't drop below #15 or 'Nova below #20 with a loss. I know we'll be a game ahead of the loser in the standings, but I feel like they may both be ahead of us no matter what.

Albany is absolutely in if they win, and could also still be ahead of us in the pecking order even if they lose, given only one other FCS loss.

I'd like to think they wouldn't take TWO teams that finish behind us in the CAA, but it definitely concerns me.

Anyway, gonna root hard for UD, Monmouth, and of course UR this weekend so we don't have to worry about at-large.

Bottom line is that we have two losses that are probably worse than anything the other bubble teams have. Finishing ahead of one or two of them in league play probably isn't enough to swing things in our favor, especially considering we didn't have to play any of them in the regular season either. We need Albany to lose and Delaware to win, that's basically our path.

Bottom line is that we have two losses that are probably worse than anything the other bubble teams have. Finishing ahead of one or two of them in league play probably isn't enough to swing things in our favor, especially considering we didn't have to play any of them in the regular season either. We need Albany to lose and Delaware to win, that's basically our path.
I sure hope I'm wrong, but I tend to agree. That said, we are a much different team now than at the beginning of the season. If we beat WM, it will be interesting to see how much weight the committe puts on our winning streak. The other reason to be hopeful is that we will be ahead of either UD/Nova with a win and be tied for the CAA championship. I think that matters. On the flip side, the Morgan State loss is so bad I'm not sure we can overcome it.

Morgan State at 3-1 is tied for first place in the MEAC with NC Central (top 10 ranked team) and Howard. Morgan State lost to NC Central 16-10. They loss to Albany 23-17 in overtime.

Not saying they are a powerhouse. We never should have lost to them, but believe they are a far better squad than many of our fans give them credit for and that loss does not eliminate our chances for a bid.

Last edited:
Hey, I did the math correctly!

They could explicitly say in some of these scenarios that we can't make up the point differential. So like a Richmond/Villanova tie, Villanova already has it locked up.

seems the best for us would be UR & UD win and Albany lose. Is that right?

We absolutely have to win and win fairly comfortably on Saturday. Know there is a lot to still shake out but I do think style points matter at this stage.

And then our admin needs to be out there pushing big home game package. Put the money out there. This is the NCAA - they listen to money above all else and we surely should have the resources to win a tiebreaker scenario.

Most scenarios I have seen are all assuming WM beats us leaving us out at 7-4. The ones I have seen say we are in if we win. Delaware needs to win to claim a seed and that has to make our win against ELON stand for something. Can’t see a co-champion of CAA at 8-3 on a six game winning streak being left out. If so, we should move football to Southern Conference and say bye to CAA.

Crowded CAA Title Race Reflecting Across Stats Perform FCS Top 25 Poll

Most scenarios I have seen are all assuming WM beats us leaving us out at 7-4. The ones I have seen say we are in if we win. Delaware needs to win to claim a seed and that has to make our win against ELON stand for something. Can’t see a co-champion of CAA at 8-3 on a six game winning streak being left out. If so, we should move football to Southern Conference and say bye to CAA.
Tell WM and Elon to come with us and that would be one hell of a conference.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Hey, I did the math correctly!

They could explicitly say in some of these scenarios that we can't make up the point differential. So like a Richmond/Villanova tie, Villanova already has it locked up.
Well, in theory we could make up the point differential against two teams but obviously not against all of them, because someone is going to win the UD-Nova game, and that team's differential will increase. But if the others lose by 21+ and we win by that margin, we'd pass them, right? But it wouldn't matter because the winner of that game would still be ahead of us.

We absolutely have to win and win fairly comfortably on Saturday. Know there is a lot to still shake out but I do think style points matter at this stage.

And then our admin needs to be out there pushing big home game package. Put the money out there. This is the NCAA - they listen to money above all else and we surely should have the resources to win a tiebreaker scenario.
Saturday spoke to a member AD staff, said bids had been placed, ours was an "attractive" bid.

Well, in theory we could make up the point differential against two teams but obviously not against all of them, because someone is going to win the UD-Nova game, and that team's differential will increase. But if the others lose by 21+ and we win by that margin, we'd pass them, right? But it wouldn't matter because the winner of that game would still be ahead of us.
Anyone who loses will be behind in the standings and no tiebreaker is needed involving them. At least one team (UD or 'Nova) will finish at 7–1, so that's the mark you have to meet if you want to be involved in the tiebreaker. (Sharknado scenarios excepted.)

The most we can make up in differential is 20, if we win by 21+ and whoever else is involved wins by only 1.

Last edited:
Ala Chris Mooney, early season REALLY BAD loses costs us ay chance of an at large bid. It's a shame that coaches cannot get the teams properly prepared for the first games on the schedule. Just beat the Tribe and I guess many of you will be happy....

Reactions: wr70beh
Millions of FCS fans would be happy if their team went 8-3. Beat the Tribe and we will be there. If it happens, I won't complain about this team or this season. Left for dead by all the pundits in late September. Did not quit. Did not waver. Got better each week.

If we don't make the playoffs at 8-3 on a 6 game win streak, it will be fodder for bitching on the board for years to come. I will join in. Believe we have one of the best 24 FCS teams in the country.

Lets focus on beating the Tribe, that is about all we can control.

Go Spiders

agree. Just need to win. NCAA will have a hard time keeping us out if we roll the tribe. They may but we can’t control that now. We have been playing good football lately.

Got my tickets today, hope we'll have a huge loud turnout to help our guys. Easy process, go to UR web site to schedule, at W&M game click on tickets, choose seats, $20 each most will be in section 117, will send electronic tickets to your Apple pay or Google wallet on your phone.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Got my tickets today, hope we'll have a huge loud turnout to help our guys. Easy process, go to UR web site to schedule, at W&M game click on tickets, choose seats, $20 each most will be in section 117, will send electronic tickets to your Apple pay or Google wallet on your phone.
Got seven tickets today...can't wait to get back on the Reservation and see if we can finish the job...Spiders have done some great things at Cary Field since 2008...5-2 with several of the wins clinching Championships or FCS At-Large bids...we have good mojo there!

looking forward to a great day

Go Spiders!

Morgan State at 3-1 is tied for first place in the MEAC with NC Central (top 10 ranked team) and Howard. Morgan State lost to NC Central 16-10. They loss to Albany 23-17 in overtime.

Not saying they are a powerhouse. We never should have lost to them, but believe they are a far better squad than many of our fans give them credit for and that loss does not eliminate our chances for a bid.
I do not know the tie breaker for MEAC Celebration Bowl representative but would figure it is head-to-head. NC Central beat Morgan State and is 3-1, Howard beat NC Central and is 3-1 and Morgan State is 3-1 due to the loss to NC Central. I would think we need Morgan State to beat Howard due to the head-to-head, then N C Central who is 8-2 overall to win and go to the Celebration Bowl.

I fear N C Central not in the Celebration Bowl could well be a bid stealer.

Delaware has now lost to 5-5 Elon. they seem to be poll darlings since a loss for them Sat. really does not make their schedule look much different than Spiders if both are 8-3 except a loss makes them 1-2 during the last three weeks with both losses at home.
Albany has lost to 5-5 New Hampshire also taken to double OT vs Morgan State.
Spiders have lost to 5-5 Hampton and Morgan State.
Villanova has not had and cannot get a bad loss. Albany away and if lose on Sat. Delaware away, plus FBS, they are likely in regardless.

is Haley on the Selection Committee? Know he’s been a big supporter of FCS football for years

he’s never been very keen on the Spiders..,glad to see we’re in his bracket…he could be an “influencer”

We just have to win Saturday!

Go Spiders!

Haley and Herder have a ton of sway on all matters pertaining to FCS .His template is a very nice surprise assuming we take care of biz in BillysBurg.

Last edited:
What's the power ranking by league this year? If we're in the top 2 or 3, taking four makes sense. If not, it's a tougher sell. I have no doubt we could or would beat most of the teams that will play on that first weekend, so I hope we get the chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT