ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Tracker

Despite our past records, I never figured out why we weren’t.
Despite everyone’s negative comments, I think our new A.D. may be stronger than we have been
giving him credit for.
what does our AD have to do with who we've made offers to?

Also, a strong A.D. can make recruiting a priority for and by the coaches.
A couple of points here:
1) I don't want a coach at UR, a top D1 basketball school, that needs to have recruiting prioritized. No way.
2) To support your point, it may very well be that Mooney had lost some motivation due to the constraints placed on him, and the efforts he and staff put into recruits, only to have them stopped by admissions. That is human nature. So yes, I think you could have a situation in which Hardt came in and said we are going to give you all the tools you need. We are going to build a nice practice facility. We are going to trust you - if you think a guy is a good fit and is a hundred points off on SAT, we will get him in. BUT, you need to go and get the recruits.

Seriously? A strong A.D. has a lot of power with the school’s administration. Also, a strong A.D. can make recruiting a priority for and by the coaches. I think that’s pretty evident.
if you're saying Mooney was laying on a lounge chair sipping pina coladas and cashing paychecks until Hardt suddenly made recruiting "a priority", then I don't agree.

if you're saying Hardt has made it possible to offer a kid because we can get him in now and we couldn't before, then I don't know if that's accurate and I don't know if that applies to this kid's academic record.

if you're saying Mooney was laying on a lounge chair sipping pina coladas and cashing paychecks until Hardt suddenly made recruiting "a priority", then I don't agree.

if you're saying Hardt has made it possible to offer a kid because we can get him in now and we couldn't before, then I don't know if that's accurate and I don't know if that applies to this kid's academic record.
It’s all speculation but I think Spider23 spells it out pretty well.

Anyone have a preference between the two we mentioned? Looks like on paper either one would be a solid addition if we can get them.

Which two? Dji seems to be the only 2020 frosh we're known to be involved with now, although we're in the mix for Pridgen and Betrand on the transfer market.

The other recently mentioned guy, Taylor, is a 2021.

That would be a nice get for sure. What is App State doing in there? They going to outbid the G-League maybe?
Also, maybe someone showed him our #14 ranking in Goodman's poll. Someone point out that Georgetown sucks. That will be a tough one to beat out I'm sure with the family connections, but has Ewing proven anything as a coach yet??

Rivals tends to focus and write on the bigger programs and Mutombo may have just been answering questions he was given. The tweet came from someone who writes on Spiders for A10, figure it came directly from Mutombo via twitter dm or something like that. Gtown and GA tech look like the frontrunners but maybe we're in the mix.

We definitely are involved and landing some really nice recruits at the moment. Need to ride the momentum and keep adding to this '21 class.

There’s a lot of good talent that comes out of Richmond. When they see us having success and winning they no doubt will want to come here. But for a kid right now who is a sophomore or junior in highschool...the last time he saw us in the tournament was when he was in 2nd/3rd grade...

Justin Mutts is available again. we lost out to High Point (!) on him in 2017. one year there, then transferred to Delaware. sat one, then averaged 12 & 8 last season. graduated in 3 years, so he's grad transferring with 2 season's remaining.
Verbal Commits
Delaware F Justyn Mutts (RS SO) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer w/two years to play. http://verbalcommits.com/players/justyn-mutts

Reactions: plydogg
Justin Mutts is available again. we lost out to High Point (!) on him in 2017. one year there, then transferred to Delaware. sat one, then averaged 12 & 8 last season. graduated in 3 years, so he's grad transferring with 2 season's remaining.
Verbal Commits
Delaware F Justyn Mutts (RS SO) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer w/two years to play. http://verbalcommits.com/players/justyn-mutts
It would be fascinating to see a guy who opted against us originally go to two different schools then end up here. Talk about circuitous...

Reactions: plydogg
It would be fascinating to see a guy who opted against us originally go to two different schools then end up here. Talk about circuitous...
You have to wonder about his goals, when he cannot be happy at two schools, both Mid Majors. So my thoughts are he is seeking P5 school.

“Talk about circuitous...”

Agreed. It really begs the question why he chose high point to begin with.

That would be the vernacular “begging the question” not the logical “begging the question”...
Which is actually “assuming the conclusion”, that was mistranslated from Greek to Latin to English and is a form of circular reasoning.

I really need to find a way to get out more....

Mutts had a pretty solid year at Delaware. Really I see Cayo as a little better version of Mutts. And we don't have a spot. Would love him for interior depth next year and step in for Cayo following, but I'm sure that would not be what he is looking for. Would be a perfect grad transfer for next season - go back to UD, then come and play the 4 here the following year.

Mutts has a final three...Mississippi State, Houston, and Tech.

Ya, too bad Mutts didn't wait a year. Really similar stats to Cayo, but rebounds at higher clip. He did beat Cayo from the 3pt line, Mutts - 11%, Cayo - 0%. Although Cayo may been better, since he knew his limitations. Mutts had 18 attempts to Cayo's zero. Delaware was really lined up to have a big year too - with probably preseason POY Darling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT