ADVERTISEMENT

President Ayers

72Spider

Team Manager
May 6, 2003
I see that UVA's president has "resigned" due to philosophical differences with it's board. Should we be concerned that I64 will look east for it's next president?

I'll certainly be sweating this one a lot more than I did the last one. He's now been here long enough to make his mark, so I think the chances of him being interested are much higher this time around.

But he still hasn't run a real capital campaign, which is probably job number one. I'd be very disappointed in Ed if leaves before we raise some serious bucks.

we are in the midst of the most important part of that campaign right now so hope he sees it through but sometimes have to make tough decisions. sounds like the uva board made the wrong decision last time and will try and correct it this time around.

I'm told Ed is very happy with the decision making process at a private University as opposed to that at a State University. Just a thought.

I am concerned but also confident he knows what he has at UR. As URFan1 mentions, there are a lot of things he doesn't need to worry about at a private, phenomenally well-endowed university as opposed to a public one that has to deal with the General Assembly.

I agree that this is somewhat concerning.

Just curious, how long does a University President search typically take?

On a more serious note, has anyone seen Janet Reno since this "Teresa Sullivan" person magically appeared on the scene a couple years ago?

Watch, Reno will return to the spotlight now. Just watch.

Sullivan according to scuttlebutt could not raise enough money fast enough to please the board. Not a great PR move for the Hoos - a 2 year presidency may give pause to the next candidate. Sullivan also had the misfortune to follow Casteen who is held in very high regard after his lengthy presidency. Looks like the UVA board is looking for a fundraiser for next pres.
This post was edited on 6/11 8:37 AM by spider fan

MM - great call on Janet Reno! As for the job of a college president, why would anyone hire one for anything other than fund raising? They are the face of the school and all of that, but nowadays there are about 5 layers of academia between them and the professors - let those folks make the academic decisions. The president needs to be the head of sales. I think Ayers stays. You can make a decent argument ours is the better job.

Pike - Agree that Ayers will probably stay. Attending a recent event during the Reunion weekend Ayers said and this is a paraphrase because don't remember every exact word but he said to the effect, "the way things are going here is like heaven and I just don't want to foul it up." I am a huge Ayers fan - the man is personable, cheerful, self deprecating or humble if you prefer, a talented leader, well regarded, and very approachable. As just another example of how well liked he is at the reunion weekend I was waiting near the campus lake for my wife to come back from the car and had a conversation with a young woman and her 8 year old son. She was a graduate of UVA and told me about being enrolled in Dr. Ayer's course - there was such a demand and huge waiting list for the course that she camped out for a number of hours in order to sign up. Hopefully we do everything possible to keep Ayers as our president.

Ayers will stay in my opinion. He enjoys the control at UR that he would not have at UVA.

Not sure exactly what Ayers is paid - for some reason I am thinking $464,000 per annum. Someone can either verify or state the correct amount?

Sullivan was/is being paid $485,000 per year

I think he would not be too willing based on how this dismissal took place. It is easier and more attractive when things are handled openly and not in a covert fashion.

Yes much talk around town about it and according to news reports over 90% of the faculty is very unhappy about it. Former president Casteen has stated that the board and Sullivan should be able to work it out meaning she should be retained. PR fiasco at least to date for UVA. Time of course will tell how it all plays out.

From the state:

Name
Teresa A Sullivan
Title University of Virginia, president
Base salary $176,104
Additional pay
Total Pay in 2011 $485,000
Hire date 8/1/2010
Agency University of Virginia
Years service 1

Are you saying that dealing with the General Assembly is a bad thing? That's just not true! A fine bunch of ladies and gentlemen, the GA!

Originally posted by Spidertag:
Are you saying that dealing with the General Assembly is a bad thing? That's just not true! A fine bunch of ladies and gentlemen, the GA!

3dgrin.gif

tag's right, most of the staff people down at the GA are really nice people!
smilie2.gif

When I remove "ladies" from the GA and close my eyes I see images of Virginia in 1619.

A good source at UR told me last night that Ayers would have to take salary cut to go to UVA.

I sleep well at night except when I have nightmares of governmental intrusions from those who profess not to be intrusionists.
This post was edited on 6/13 9:13 AM by Anachnoid

I am aligned philosophically with my pal Anach, but my bladder seems to side with Spinner...no sleeping through the night for this old guy.
This post was edited on 6/13 9:27 AM by tarrantula

it is very interesting to me that the faculty and staff are in such a panic. Do the employees of a public company have much input over the status of their CEO? No, he or she reports to the BOD. Same with a coach - they report to the owner or GM, not the players. The faculty needs to focus on teaching or research and realize they are employees. These "higher education" types have such a sense of entitlement and an arrogance about them that is hard to swallow.

the faculty is very invested in their head person, just like any other position one might have. don't see this as a big deal if they are not happy with the actions taken by the uva board. we do not know all of the details and the whys, etc. feel they have every right to be upset and to express that.

Perspective wise think of the difference in when Fly the Coop left the presidency of UR many people were happy and his "mushy" performance had been the subject of much previous discussion. In contrast Teresa Sullivan is well regarded by most and her "dismissal/firing/resignation" took most people totally by surprise.

I'm sure it took them by surprise and I'm sure they liked her. All that is great. The idea that they should somehow have been consulted and are therefore owed an explanation is another matter. The people to whom she reports wanted to make a change. Everyone else go back to work.

Not sure the thinking is they should have been consulted but probably more of the thinking "I've got tenure" so I can sound off. At the end of the day the BOV has the power and gets what they want. Since UVA is a state school the governor's office had to sign off on the action and that part of the dynamic has received press scrutiny as well. Most of the "fuss" is PR related.

"Deep Throat: Follow the money. Always follow the money."

or it may be like the school formerly known for two feathers, where the spigot was turned off.

actually, deep throat should have also said, follow the pansy guy with the prostitute girl friend who set it all up and then fooled everyone.

Comparing academia to the business world is not a good comparison. Without knowing any specifics I would bet good money that most presidential searches at universities include leaders from the faculty. Presidents that do not get along with their faculty do not last long especially if prominent tenured professors leave, just look at UR for an example of faculty turning on a President. Ask a teacher how much a strong/popular principal matters and whether that impacts them... Would they want a voice on the next principal (do they get a voice)... Universities just have a better communication model via the faculty senate that allows them to communicate en mass.

Secondly the faculty must not believe a word stated in the BOV press release/statement. There appears to be more going on at UVA than is being let on in the public press releases.

Lastly, it is summer time and most faculty do not have much teaching work so it gives them time to review this.

I'm willing to bet it is about money, specifically fund raising. I bet a couple of large donors didn't like her and made that known via a lack of commitment. Whatever happened sounds like it happened from the Darden side of things which may be another sore spot for the undergrad faculty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT