ADVERTISEMENT

Phil's Continental Lounge Closed

Re: Phil's Continental Lounge FOR SALE

I was at the Charlottesville alumni event last night and there were enough of us there to reminisce about Phil's and Beav the exact same comment was made - once it moved atmosphere was so different it made you miss the old Phil's. Sad passing of a student hangout with many fond memories for a generation or more of Spiders!

THE CONTINENTAL opened up in the old, original space and they had some of the same menu items but alas, still not the same. plus when faiz and his dad, the club maker, sold the lounge, could never be the same.

Agree with the above sentiments.

From a business standpoint, the new joint is just too small to make any money at 3 bucks a beer. Need more space to sell greater volume.

Back in the day, mid 70's, you could cash a check at Phil's for five dollars. Was cleaning out some stuff, and found a box of old bank statements and canceled checks. Damn near every check was for five bucks. I guess that's why I was on the Dean's List and I don't mean that in a good way.

Two, three, four of those little glasses of beer and a pastrami with sweitzer made for a great night.
smile.r191677.gif

when i think back and now look at the iconic places which no longer exist, kind of scary......miller& rhoads, thalheimers, the clover room, best products, tantilla, bills, ukrops, phils, andy's, the lee art, whopper burger, OK, am getting a tad silly

Phil's was a goner once they moved out of the old space, the newer place just wasn't the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT