ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Preseason Rankings

That’s sobering as hell…14th in a bad 15-team league, a year and a half removed from an NCAA win.

On a positive note, suck it, Rhode Island!

On a hilarious note, Rhode Island has a freshman named ALWAYS WRIGHT?!? His parents must be the stupidest parents alive. “Son, I told you, you 2 plus 2 isn’t 106.”

“Shut up, Dad, I’m Always Wright!”

Last edited:
I don't know that I buy Bona at #2, but man, if they even come close to that, going from losing their entire roster last offseason back to the top tier in just two seasons?

I don't know that I buy Bona at #2, but man, if they even come close to that, going from losing their entire roster last offseason back to the top tier in just two seasons?
Bonnies retained their promising young pieces while adding some great additions in the portal. They're gonna be good this season I feel

If this prediction turns out to be anywhere near the truth, then it should result in immediate termination of the head coach. This result will be flatly unacceptable at this stage of the game.

As I have said all along (barring injury to Quinn), I think that the Spiders can be a bit better than this projection, but, don't expect a post-season run.

If this prediction turns out to be anywhere near the truth, then it should result in immediate termination of the head coach. This result will be flatly unacceptable at this stage of the game.

As I have said all along (barring injury to Quinn), I think that the Spiders can be a bit better than this projection, but, don't expect a post-season run.

We have already been told to temper expectations and that this is basically a rebuilding year so as long as there is one nice moral victory on the schedule Teflon Moonie will be fine.

Meanwhile - VCU, new coach and almost entirely new roster, and they are slotted right in the middle at 5.

This is just pre-season rankings, but it once again shows the two different tracks we are on. Normally - new coach, new roster - that would mean bottom of the pack pick - but I think there is high confidence in Odom, but also that VCU has done this over and over again whenever they lose a coach. They don't fall too fall.

To their credit VCU expects to win. Is Rhody a home game this year? Hope so since it is predicted to be the highlight of our A-10 season. But of course predictions can be wrong. On a positive note we have lots of bulletin board material!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
I'm not projecting top 4 and a double bye or anything, but I really don't see us being bad. we can be better than last year.

yes, we lose Tyler who's a great basketball player. he was really good from 2, but pretty bad from 3 last year. I think we'll see a big pop from improved PG play. and I think Bigelow is better than he showed last season. we have some holes to fill but we have some pieces.

To their credit VCU expects to win. Is Rhody a home game this year? Hope so since it is predicted to be the highlight of our A-10 season.
We get the Rhody Rams on the road this season.

I'm not projecting top 4 and a double bye or anything, but I really don't see us being bad. we can be better than last year.
Not too difficult to do better than a 12th place finish 😳

Reactions: Spiders4ever
URI and UR paying a lot for these finishes:

Miller agreed to terms on an $8.5-million deal — $1.4 million the first two seasons through 2023-24, $1.9 million in each of the last three through 2026-27.

I do have more optimism than this. But I do not know much about the other teams prospects either.

Like Mo said above, this sets us up perfectly to tout how we exceeded expectations when we finish 10th. Mooney probably gave Rothstein a hundred-dollar handshake to pick us this low.
Totally- usually we don't meet expectations. With this prediction that will be much tougher to achieve.

Meanwhile - VCU, new coach and almost entirely new roster, and they are slotted right in the middle at 5.

This is just pre-season rankings, but it once again shows the two different tracks we are on. Normally - new coach, new roster - that would mean bottom of the pack pick - but I think there is high confidence in Odom, but also that VCU has done this over and over again whenever they lose a coach. They don't fall too fall.
Hate to admit it, but I think that VCU is going to be better than some expect. Odom is a good coach, AND he brought two leading starters off his NCAA team. He has Wheeler from Louisville, possibly Bamisile, Billups, Zeb Jackson, Kuany, and even Nelson off the bench. My prediction is that they contend for the A-10 title and a possible NCAA bid.

History tells us we’re way beyond the point of “should result in immediate termination”. This is just not going to happen regardless of where we finished prior seasons, this coming season, or through duration of extensions. The best chance is to let the extension in place run out. Maybe then we’ll have the chance for a new coach.

History tells us we’re way beyond the point of “should result in immediate termination”. This is just not going to happen regardless of where we finished prior seasons, this coming seasons, or through duration of extensions. The best chance is to let the extension in place run out. Maybe then we’ll have the chance for a new coach.
100% correct. I've said 50 times on this forum that Mooney is NOT going to be fired by UR. I used the term should in the post above. 👍

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Other than Dayton at #1, the rest is a crapshoot, although I do expect to see the Broad St boys in the Top 4 and wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bonnies there too.

Can do as well as this pulling numbers from a hat. If the Spiders do finish in the bottom 4, I can’t see how anyone could say they competed. Have to at least meet the 11th place finish from last year, which was worse than the 13 win season in 18-19(?) by the way (the former low point of Mooney’s tenure).

If we exceed A10 expectations it will only be the 3rd time in 13 years. Just twice in last 12 years.

I'll wait to formal A10 poll I think we'll be higher in that. Rothstein doesn't count. Tho we'll still be fairly low.

Regardless I view this as a win now type of year, maybe I'm summer bullish or just have higher program expectations esp of a 19 year HC at 1 place, and because our 3 best players will be all be gone next year. King Bigs Quinn. The prospects for 24/25 could actually be worse. If we don't want rinse repeat from what Mooney did last time off NCAA, sadly as predicted & how we r tracking, we better change that asap.

Noyes + freshman class will have to show out very quickly too. If they do then comes the job security #nextbestclassever PR.

Getting back to that Rhode Island player, I feel bad for him. I can just imagine the teasing he's had. There should be a panel for approving names, or something.

If we exceed A10 expectations it will only be the 3rd time in 13 years. Just twice in last 12 years.

I'll wait to formal A10 poll I think we'll be higher in that. Rothstein doesn't count. Tho we'll still be fairly low.

Regardless I view this as a win now type of year, maybe I'm summer bullish or just have higher program expectations esp of a 19 year HC at 1 place, and because our 3 best players will be all be gone next year. King Bigs Quinn. The prospects for 24/25 could actually be worse. If we don't want rinse repeat from what Mooney did last time off NCAA, sadly as predicted & how we r tracking, we better change that asap.

Noyes + freshman class will have to show out very quickly too. If they do then comes the job security #nextbestclassever PR.
After the S16 team, at least Moon got KA2 on the team and played him the next year. Then had Allen, ANO, Deion, Trey Davis etc. shortly after. Those teams didn't bottom out, it was after they and Cline/SDJ left that the wheels fell off, not 2-3 years later. Maybe you're speaking in broader terms though, which I get.

So what are expectations here? I'm never satisfied thinking UR will have an 8th place team, much less 15th. If we finish 15th the "raid the SoCon" portal strategy should be out the window.

We only have one season-long starter returning, the other four starting spots will be changes. You can either feel good about that given last years results or feel crappy about the chances of them being better. I’m going with optimism here but still think we’re probably a bottom half team.

The most interesting thing is that the projected starting 5 are all transfers...not a good look for developing HS talent internally over the long haul...

Reactions: ncspiderfan
After the S16 team, at least Moon got KA2 on the team and played him the next year. Then had Allen, ANO, Deion, Trey Davis etc. shortly after. Those teams didn't bottom out, it was after they and Cline/SDJ left that the wheels fell off, not 2-3 years later. Maybe you're speaking in broader terms though, which I get.

So what are expectations here? I'm never satisfied thinking UR will have an 8th place team, much less 15th. If we finish 15th the "raid the SoCon" portal strategy should be out the window.

I did mean broadly. Also there was no ncaa with Cline/SDJ so I couldn’t have been talking about that. But u r right we didn’t bottom out like after that era. We didn’t do well either. For the next 3 seasons after the s16 we did not have a winning A10 conference record. We did have 1 cbi appearance we paid for.

Reactions: ManiBenton
Interesting tonight on 60 Minutes, Charles Barkley blasted the college game.
His prediction is that in a few years there will only be 25;schools and everyone else
will be irrelevant .
I can understand his position, but who will play the 25 schools?

Reactions: gospidersgo
There are a lot more than 325 really good D1 players. They aren’t all going to go to the same 25 teams, because only 5-7 are going to get major minutes at a given school anyway. There’s a limit as to how much hoarding the top schools can realistically do.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
I really don't see us finishing 14th out of 15.

Think we upgraded at starting PG/Backcourt. Expect overall improvement in the backcourt with the transfers and healthy Dji if he winds up there.

I think the thing to watch is how the chemistry between our "King and Quinn" develop. It was not there between him and Jaynel, with JN often voicing his displeasure with NQ.

The A10 is not as strong conference any longer and despite our losses, just cant foresee that type of finish with the talent we have.

Losing Burton sucks yes, but I am bullish on Noyes and as much as I love MG and AG it was time to move on from them last year with giving them so many minutes. My biggest question mark is if our depth can be of quality in the front court. I think with another year of seasoning Isiah and Quinn will be serviceable there.

Non conference slate and how quick the team gels will be what matters.

I don't have much of a prediction, too many moving parts throughout the rest of the conference, but I don't forsee that poor of a finish.

Reactions: spiderman
I really don't see us finishing 14th out of 15.

Think we upgraded at starting PG/Backcourt. Expect overall improvement in the backcourt with the transfers and healthy Dji if he winds up there.

I think the thing to watch is how the chemistry between our "King and Quinn" develop. It was not there between him and Jaynel, with JN often voicing his displeasure with NQ.

The A10 is not as strong conference any longer and despite our losses, just cant foresee that type of finish with the talent we have.

Losing Burton sucks yes, but I am bullish on Noyes and as much as I love MG and AG it was time to move on from them last year with giving them so many minutes. My biggest question mark is if our depth can be of quality in the front court. I think with another year of seasoning Isiah and Quinn will be serviceable there.

Non conference slate and how quick the team gels will be what matters.

I don't have much of a prediction, too many moving parts throughout the rest of the conference, but I don't forsee that poor of a finish.
We would have to be really poor to finish 14th in the league. To me it doesn't matter if we finish 10th or 15th, right now I look at us on paper, and think we are a bottom half of the league type of team, same as last year.

So after all of the $$$ Queally spends on practice facilities, NIL's, coaches salary, he has bought himself a bottom half of the league team in a one bid conference in the NCAA. That is quite the investment he has gotten going there.

Well - last season we finished 7-11 and in 12th place. And hard to say with the losses and new additions - we are a better team. But that is only half the story, the other half is how did the other teams improve or get worse.

Loyola, URI, UMASS finished below us last year, and we tied with LaSalle with same record. Finishing in last place or second to last usually means only winning 4-5 conference games. I don't think that will happen. But I think a similar record to last year is probably about right. So I will say we finish 10-12th place, still bottom half.

We would have to be really poor to finish 14th in the league. To me it doesn't matter if we finish 10th or 15th, right now I look at us on paper, and think we are a bottom half of the league type of team, same as last year.

So after all of the $$$ Queally spends on practice facilities, NIL's, coaches salary, he has bought himself a bottom half of the league team in a one bid conference in the NCAA. That is quite the investment he has gotten going there.

It's weird, feels like some people are all ready to celebrate an "overachievement" by finishing 11th or 10th or whatever when we were picked to be 14th. Bottom half is embarrassing and awful I don't care how they spin it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT