ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney Ranking - The Athletic

I don't understand why people are so upset about this ranking. Mooney's teams usually are ~100th best in D1 on average, so it makes sense for him to be ranked ~100th best coach.
Well, remember this is just a subset of coaches, not all 362. He's in a group of about 30 coaches in tier 5 out of 7 in this, with tier 6 being guys in limbo and in tier 7 basically assumed to be fired after this season. There are only 17 coaches in tiers 6 and 7 combined.

A-10 coaches on the list that I spotted:

Tier 4: Grant, Odom, Schmidt
Tier 5: Mooney, Valentine

Well, remember this is just a subset of coaches, not all 362. He's in a group of about 30 coaches in tier 5 out of 7 in this, with tier 6 being guys in limbo and in tier 7 basically assumed to be fired after this season. There are only 17 coaches in tiers 6 and 7 combined.

A-10 coaches on the list that I spotted:

Tier 4: Grant, Odom, Schmidt
Tier 5: Mooney, Valentine
Not sure how that changes things, he is still being ranked ~100th overall for D1 coaches.

Disclaimer: I have not read the article since I do not have a subscription.

Not sure how that changes things, he is still being ranked ~100th overall for D1 coaches.

Disclaimer: I have not read the article since I do not have a subscription.
There are a couple of hundred coaches not in the rankings. Granted you'd think most of the "top" coaches would have made an NCAA in the past three years and are thus included in the tiers, but there are probably some guys with solid track records who are in a bit of a dry spell and thus didn't make the cut. Like we all here think Travis Ford sucks, but he's made 7 tournaments in his career and is almost always competitive. Doesn't meet the criteria for the list though.

I went to a pregame happy hour on the row exactly once that I can remember, believe it was a Friday night game vs JMU in 1993 or 1994. RC was packed. Kent Culuko went nuts and we lost. Again, different times and while attendance back then was also spotty, there were times it was great. But the schedule generally has to align and the school can help with promotions and making it an event that students want to attend.

also, GKiller is a liar. He's been to the row pregame. He just wasn't a student at the time. PTL. One of the best games I've ever been to, for a variety of reasons, one of which was murdering WVa and effectively ending Gale Catlett's career. They got killed, were terrible the next year and then he was done.

True, I left off the breaking & entering as an alum. At least it was our lodge.

Someone else mentioned on here recently too and I agree that WVA NIT game was one of the funnest games I’ve ever been to at RC.

A combo of how surgical we played, good crowd, the pregame pops, & the unmerciful ribbing of Gale Catlett.

“Gale! Is that your wife’s name??!
“Go zone Gale, go zone”

That was back when we made teams pay for going zone.

tell that to Jackie Moon.

C7zL_GLWsAEF5C7
Didn't say it could not be done, just not much risk/cost if fund the prize by an insurance policy.

True, I left off the breaking & entering as an alum. At least it was our lodge.

Someone else mentioned on here recently too and I agree that WVA NIT game was one of the funnest games I’ve ever been to at RC.

A combo of how surgical we played, good crowd, the pregame pops, & the unmerciful ribbing of Gale Catlett.

“Gale! Is that your wife’s name??!
“Go zone Gale, go zone”

That was back when we made teams pay for going zone.

man, sounds like a great time!

Reactions: GKiller
Hunt is a good interview. I too thought Mooney's answer on the redshirt raised some eyes. I see a much diminished value with redshirting in the portal era. If you are a player waiting for a senior to leave to free up playing time, well coach can now easily go out in the portal and get another guy with experience. And if you are a coach and not getting your players PT as freshman, to me that is just pushing them to the portal as an option.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I had forgotten about this, but this refreshes my memory.

here it is:

Prize indemnity insurance protects a business, nonprofit organization, or sponsor of a promotional event or contest that offers an expensive prize no one is guaranteed to win. If someone does win, the prize indemnity insurance covers the cost of the prize awarded. The typical premium for prize indemnity insurance is 3 to 15 percent of the prize value.

Not much of a risk on a half court shot, or similar.
Several small companies use these for the “hole-in-one” contest that are frequently at most charitable golf tournaments.

Reactions: urfan1
Maybe later in the year - invite some HS kids who have been early accepted to a game. Let them sign up for a chance to be selected for a half court shot and win free tuition for their first year.

I know - we don't take a lot of local kids. But you might get some interest from HS kids within a 2-3 hour drive.

Reactions: urfan1
When I went to UR (mid 90's) going to a football game seemed almost a mandatory experience and that was when we played at City stadium off campus. Lot's of pregaming, might only stay till halftime because of said pregaming but I recall a lot of students going. And our football team sucked in the mid 90's.

Don't know why students wouldn't go in more mass now that we have a beautiful on campus stadium, other than we lost traditions and kids would rather be addicted to their phones now than actually live life.
I went to UR in the 2010s. I think most students would rather watch SEC/BIG10/BIG12 games than Richmond vs. Delaware etc. It also doesn't help that the school pretty heavily polices student tailgates. Any creative attempts made by fraternities at tailgating were shot down by the school which tempers already mild at best interest in going to the football games.

The 'kids' being addicted to their phones is a funny narrative coming from someone with over 13,000 posts on a message board.

Back to the original topic of this post, I think everyone knows what we have in Coach Mooney. The administration is not only fine with it, but appears to support it considering the contract extensions he is able to secure regardless of if other schools are interested in hiring him or not. This also seems to be the general ethos of the athletic department with firings being exceedingly rare and coaches only changing when contracts expire. People can form their own opinions on whether that is a positive or negative.

Good point on the tailgates. Been to other campuses and schools - they turn a blind eye, Let the kids tailgate, its college, as long as no one is doing anything totally outrageous or dangerous - let them be.

I went to UR in the 2010s. I think most students would rather watch SEC/BIG10/BIG12 games than Richmond vs. Delaware etc. It also doesn't help that the school pretty heavily polices student tailgates. Any creative attempts made by fraternities at tailgating were shot down by the school which tempers already mild at best interest in going to the football games.
The tailgate was the reason you went to the Football games in the 90's. So, yeah, if UR is cracking down on that, I can see how that would discourage attendance. I know a big deal was made when the stadium was built was that it wouldn't be disruptive to the surrounding neighborhood, so I can see UR being vigilant around this.

And my statement around kids being addicted to their phones is pretty much born out in a lot of science and also does not absolve me from my own issues in that regards.

a lot of people see FCS the way basketball people see DII.
yes, you battle for a national championship, but you're not in the same pool as the best teams.
JMU is ranked 21 in FBS. that's incredible. I bet students and their phones are attending those games.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
The tailgate was the reason you went to the Football games in the 90's. So, yeah, if UR is cracking down on that, I can see how that would discourage attendance. I know a big deal was made when the stadium was built was that it wouldn't be disruptive to the surrounding neighborhood, so I can see UR being vigilant around this.

And my statement around kids being addicted to their phones is pretty much born out in a lot of science and also does not absolve me from my own issues in that regards.
I live close to City Stadium and seem to drive by the old tailgate field at least once a week. Good . albeit some sloppy memories.

a lot of people see FCS the way basketball people see DII.
yes, you battle for a national championship, but you're not in the same pool as the best teams.
JMU is ranked 21 in FBS. that's incredible. I bet students and their phones are attending those games.

This might be the best week in the history of JMU sports.

Reactions: spiderman
This might be the best week in the history of JMU sports.
It keeps getting better...down 5 with just 3.8 seconds left against Kent State and this happens. (Dukes eventually won in double OT.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT