ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Preseason Rankings

yeah, and I think we do have some shooting. we just don't know if it'll be on the floor a lot (shooters being Roche, Noyes and Tanner in particular ... maybe Tyne, Smith and Graham as well).

Going to admit, never been a big Pitino guy, but from a basketball perspective he has always been cutting edge and ahead of his time. I remember when 3 point line was introduced in Virginia h.s. basketball. Our coach showed us Rick Pitino videos for drills for 3 pointers.

Now, along with other big schools they have hired a "GM" to manage the NIL collectives and interactions/payouts to players and agents. He can use this to a certain degree to insulate himself and coach the players how he wants to without considering NIL. As Trap noted, players (and media) are going to talk about amounts, but Rick can deny (he is good at that :)) that he was involved in the amounts.
Even Davidson is getting into the "GM" game now.

Yeah, if Harris starts over Noyes/Roche that is not a good sign. Also no way, Mooney wrote this, an article likes this might put some type of expectation on us to have a good season and Mooney hates any type of expectations being put on him.
I don’t think any of those 3 start…jmo. I’m going to stick with Jordan, D-Lo, Dji, Bigs, Neal. This team can really get out and run. If I had a 2nd pick, I would switch D-Lo out with Dji and Aidan on the wing. I can see Mikkel backing up Jordan then Tyler, Mike & Roche and even Collin bc he can shoot it. I think Collin will get some time and Tyler is a really good defender. But until gameday it’s all conjecture…ps Don’t tell vt my picks. 😂🕷️🏀

If Harris (or anyone else) were a 10+ rpg threat every night and we were committed to letting him just go be great at that, I'd be ok with that approach regardless of how bad he or whoever was on offense. Basically a Rodman-type plan. But I don't think Mooney would ever do that.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
If Harris (or anyone else) were a 10+ rpg threat every night and we were committed to letting him just go be great at that, I'd be ok with that approach regardless of how bad he or whoever was on offense. Basically a Rodman-type plan. But I don't think Mooney would ever do that.
Not only Mooney, but it looks like every coach in the country would not do that. 14 guys in college basketball averaged 10 or more rebounds a game last year. All averaged 11.5 or more points per game. If you think we would have success being the only team in college basketball with a 10+ rebound, no offense guy out there, fine, but allow me to disagree.

Reactions: urfan1
My point was simply that if we had a dominant rebounder, and we actually let him rebound, that would be the only way I'd start a guy who can't score. Of course, that would also presume that the other 4 guys really could light it up, which is a situation we don't have either.

My point was simply that if we had a dominant rebounder, and we actually let him rebound, that would be the only way I'd start a guy who can't score. Of course, that would also presume that the other 4 guys really could light it up, which is a situation we don't have either.
we don't stop anyone from rebounding. see Tyler Burton.
we just don't recruit many guys who have that skill set.

Reactions: VT4700
agreed. and at schools that attract a lot of money, it might even need to be run like an endowment with an investment arm.

Reactions: urfan1
agreed. and at schools that attract a lot of money, it might even need to be run like an endowment with an investment arm.
Agreed - you need a GM type person, to broker the deals for the kids. And then from the NIL collective side - they need a financial chief - who invests the money to try and make it grow as your giving out funds so it possibly doesn't dry up so fast.

I don’t think any of those 3 start…jmo. I’m going to stick with Jordan, D-Lo, Dji, Bigs, Neal. This team can really get out and run. If I had a 2nd pick, I would switch D-Lo out with Dji and Aidan on the wing. I can see Mikkel backing up Jordan then Tyler, Mike & Roche and even Collin bc he can shoot it. I think Collin will get some time and Tyler is a really good defender. But until gameday it’s all conjecture…ps Don’t tell vt my picks. 😂🕷️🏀
With Bigs and Quinn starting, we have to have shooting at the other spots. With Nate and Grant starting, in 2020, we had Nick (78 made 3s, 43.8% from 3) starting with our guards, and in 2021 and 2022, we had Tyler (33 made 3s at 36.3% and 57 made 3s at 36.5%). We went 24-7, 14-9, and 24-13 those years. Tyler only shot 29.3% from 3 last year, and we went 15-18. I just can't make it make sense for us to start Dji, and not Roche, Noyes, or Collin. And, especially Hunt in your other scenario. Dji can come in and play some solid D and fill in for guys and all that, but unless he found a lot of offense in the off season, it just seems like it would be too hard for us offensively with him starting and getting good minutes. I fear guys playing off of him would just make it that much harder for everyone else. Just my opinion, and yes, the opinion of a guy that feels shooting, especially 3 point shooting, and scoring is incredibly important to a good offense. How could it not be?

Last edited:
we don't stop anyone from rebounding. see Tyler Burton.
we just don't recruit many guys who have that skill set.
I know this has been debated very recently, but our system absolutely prevents some potential rebounds. When you focus more on getting back on defense than fighting for offensive boards, you're conceding at least a few every game. Maybe that's a smart way to play, maybe not.

Certain guys like Burton and Bigs have/had the green light to rebound, but at least on the offensive glass everyone else is supposed to get back.

Understandable for the guards to a large degree, though I still cringe every time a long rebound on a three comes straight to where our guy was just standing until he sprinted the other way.

But the biggest difference for us compared to some others I think is that our big man is supposed to get back too. Our big men usually aren't the fastest, so we prioritize getting them back down the floor and set up ahead of the offense rather than sticking around trying to get the offensive board.

I think as a general rule, if you're outside the 3 point line or above the foul line, it's better to get back than to crash the boards for most players. and in our offensive set, we often have a lot of guys outside the 3 point line. plus our big is often at the top of the key.

Bigelow and Burton may have had the option of crashing from the opposite side. their size and athleticism makes it worthwhile.

for the "we never offensive rebound" crowd, we only got 1.9 fewer offensive rebounds per game than our opponents.

Reactions: VT4700
I am not worried about UR getting offensive rebounds - its more about us preventing offensive rebounds to our opponents. That is a weakness of ours - teams that crash the offensive glass, we have trouble with - UNLESS - we hit enough 3 pointers on the offensive end to cancel them out.

My two cents- Nelson wasn’t good and I’m shocked that VCU picked him up.
I also think that as good as Burton was, the rest of the players kind of let
him try to carry us.
We won’t be as bad as predicted.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
My two cents- Nelson wasn’t good and I’m shocked that VCU picked him up.
I also think that as good as Burton was, the rest of the players kind of let
him try to carry us.
We won’t be as bad as predicted.
I don't think we will be as bad as second to last in the league - as predicted already, but even if we beat that and finish 9th-10th - thats nothing to cheer about either.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT