ADVERTISEMENT

OT" Is Richmond, a liberal, liberal arts university?

the only people in the streets, crying , whining, about every action which happens, are pathetic, uninformed types,college presidents, the media

I know when I ask myself, "Self, who are the most uninformed, pathetic types in this country?" I almost answer answer: "The media and college presidents."

Bunch of uneducated mouth-breathing losers, those idiots. They couldn't hold a candle to middle-American high school dropouts, that's for sure.

Reactions: KWeaver
look at what they say, cry about, all touchy, feel-good crap. if they do not understand security, safety, then they are uninformed and pathetic. we need common sense thinking not emotion, feelings, keep preaching that but know is heading toward deaf people who just don't get it. trump gets it, think most americans get it but not the academic elite and the liberal media. one can be smart, highly educated and still be dumb as a post when it comes to reality.

I agree with you, that's why I prefer to get most of my news from Facebook memes, retweets on Twitter, factory workers in Iowa and plumbers in Arkansas. Real Americans who have their fingers on the pulse of important things, like international relations, tax law, federal budget intricacies, that sort of thing.

I agree with you, that's why I prefer to get most of my news from Facebook memes, retweets on Twitter, factory workers in Iowa and plumbers in Arkansas. Real Americans who have their fingers on the pulse of important things, like international relations, tax law, federal budget intricacies, that sort of thing.
That sounds rather elitist. Pretty sure that's the attitude that those middle Americans voted against in the most recent election. You're making Spinner's case the more you talk.

well, probably putting me down, thinking that i formulate my thoughts from awful sources and people but nothing could be further from the truth. they can continue to think that way but if california secedes, have my fingers crossed, the dems are history and we can extend the wall around the golden state.

Spinner - any chance you have tickets to the big game on Sunday since it is in your back yard? Our son got to attend one Super Bowl when his girlfriend at the time worked for the NFL players union...................
Back to the subject at hand, ate in a restaurant tonight and the TV's were either on CNN or ESPN various stations, fortunately on mute. CNN had the close captioning running and since I was across from it would occasionally look at it when I looked in that direction. The Trump bashing was nonstop. Can't remember any previous time when much of the media was so antithetical to a president of the United States. All that does is accelerate the media's rapid nosedive into irrelevance if they are not there already.

That sounds rather elitist. Pretty sure that's the attitude that those middle Americans voted against in the most recent election. You're making Spinner's case the more you talk.
Not elitist at all. Those are clearly the most educated, well-informed people in the nation these days. We should all look to them to guide us through the coming years with their wisdom. If we could replace all the attorneys, doctors and business owners in Congress with a bunch of factory workers and waitresses, we'd all be a lot better off.

Not elitist at all. Those are clearly the most educated, well-informed people in the nation these days. We should all look to them to guide us through the coming years with their wisdom. If we could replace all the attorneys, doctors and business owners in Congress with a bunch of factory workers and waitresses, we'd all be a lot better off.
I agree. Our government was founded by a bunch of farmers.

the real interesting thing here, in my lifetime and before, numerous presidents of both parties enacted bans yet nothing was heard, nobody protested, even the media did not think it wrong. now, the entire dem party and its minions in the media are working full time to make this look crazy when in fact, it is normal, needed and the right thing to do. the bias here reeks

the real interesting thing here, in my lifetime and before, numerous presidents of both parties enacted bans yet nothing was heard, nobody protested, even the media did not think it wrong. now, the entire dem party and its minions in the media are working full time to make this look crazy when in fact, it is normal, needed and the right thing to do. the bias here reeks

Spinner, I think that the problem here lies not with the "ban," but with the way in which it was handled. I have heard people on both sides of the press (and aisle) state that probably 80% agree with what Trump was trying to do which is to more strictly enforce the immigration from 7 countries identified by Obama as countries in which there should be grave travel concerns because of the activity of terrorists. But he did not do that.

His actual EO was a broadening of Obama's previous EO. What he failed to do was to carve out proper exceptions, exclude Irak (which is a farse in view of our presence there), exclude Syrian refugees (properly vetted, of course), and articulate the ban more accurately. All the problems he is having could probably have been avoided had he run it by other state department officials, even some of his own appointees. His ego and lack of foresight got in his way.

Most Americans want the same thing with the proper exceptions and articulation. Hell, 3 of the countries included do not even have central governments and are run by groups of warring factions, the majority of which are terrorists. Had Trump said something along the lines of that we will severely restrict immigration from those countries unless and until they provided the USA with a promise and proof from a recognized effective central government that they had an active continuing, effective counter-terrorist program in place, he would have probably received little grief. But he didn't handle it that way. In a rush to satisfy those who elected him, he was his bull-headed self. And the end result was that he made it appear that the US was banning a religious group from this country and eliminating refugees, contrary to our values and historical beliefs (with the exception of yours) and our constitution.

He is a victim of his own lack of experience and that, coupled with an ego-based failure to rely on the judgment of others, all his own people, who would have known how to handle this and get his intended result (with, perhaps, the exception of satisfying his ego) with the approval of the majority of Americans, including democrats, created this fiasco causing the justified furor, both home and abroad. He has a lot to learn and a long way to go.

Reactions: KWeaver
again, bet the majority of americans think it was the correct thing to do, have heard 2-1 but don't put much in numbers people throw out there.

I think what iSpider said is really reasonable. Had Trump not been so ham-handed in his handling of this (with some really shady things happening, like taking people who have been law-abiding green-card holding people for a long time, letting them go away, and not letting them back in, or those horrible 80 year old sickly women or babies needing surgery...) It's that sort of stuff that really is horrifying.

I enjoy these little allegories and comparisons with 97 good snakes and 3 bad ones. But, in those cases... It's 3 percent bad people. When we get into the odds of refugees (who have REALLY been painted in a bad light) attacking people... It's dramatic, but it's not likely!!!!

This article shows the odds provided by the Cato Institute, which I am sure is an organization that many here like better than I do:

http://www.politifact.com/californi...oull-be-killed-terror-attack-america-refugee/

1 in 3.64 BILLION!

I will repeat something that is absolute truth: IT IS HARD TO BE A REFUGEE. The process in place is VERY DIFFICULT TO PASS THROUGH!

I would think that it is more likely that more people will "turn bad" because of feeling disenfranchised than because they are from Syria or elsewhere.

how many attacks do we have to have? one is way too many and we have had many more than one. all the violin stories which liberals and their minions in the media love to play, won't work anymore. it is about us, not them. when did common sense fade away from decision making? the point is, we have muslims attacking, killing, kidnapping, all over the world. why should we be anywhere near that, we do not have to be and we should not be. feel my friends in paris who will not even admit that open borders is wrong and has hurt their country because they are big libs and cannot even admit very basic concepts. very sad, they know it sucks but they will not admit it.

Last edited:
We have citizens of America killing each other 12,000 tines a year RIGHT NOW IN THIS COUNTRY with guns, yet we do NOTHING about that. Nothing. Where's the outrage, Spinner?

You're worried about some fantasy situation but ignoring our current reality.

we also have hundreds of gun laws but they, so far, have not kept guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, who do most of the killing which you don't like. the attack in columbus was carried out with a vehicle and a knife, just to remind you. the rest, typically criminals and gangs killing each other. we also have a million to a million and a half abortions ( taking of human life) taking place in our country but that is legal, even animal embryos have more protection than human life. if we took guns away tomorrow, killing would still go on and has since the beginning of man way before guns were invented. what our citizens do to each other has been a prob forever and will continue to be but allowing people into our country, when we do not have to, who are attacking and killing our citizens, is just plain stupid, no other way to look at it. two completely different subjects but you always seem to blur lines.

Last edited:
those are not the people committing the shootings we all hate. not good law, better left off the books.

So gun laws don't prevent any gun deaths, because (lemme guess) "Criminals don't follow laws!"

But this immigration law will prevent all sorts of deaths, because all the Muslim terrorists trying to get into our country to kill us by the thousands DEFINITELY WILL obey the law!

no sense even discussing this issue, you keep on keeping on with your mindset and i will with mine. i will not get my complete muslim ban but that is what makes sense here. our safety and security is why a ton of presidents have placed bans on certain countries for decades and why this one did instead of putting out "we are open, welcome all" signs on our borders and airports. if you really want to criticize a prez, obama with his look the other way at our laws, should be where you should start. if trump does nothing but enforce our laws, we will be much better off than under the open borders, one world guy who just departed.

Reactions: spider fan
I'm pasting the entire letter below. I'm curious as to which parts, specifically, you all take issue with. I've bolded a few that I happen to agree with.

Dear Members of the University Community,

I share the concerns expressed by many members of our Richmond community about the executive order issued by President Trump on Friday that targets refugees and immigrants from seven countries in Africa and the Middle East. Such exclusion based on national origin or religious beliefs is contrary to American ideals and threatens the mission of higher education.
t

This is clearly a highly political position that directly contradicts the policy of the sitting President of the United States and the majority of the voters that just elected him. It is also patently false. America has excluded people because of race or religious belief throughout its existence, and for good reason.

You may happen to agree with Crutcher's political sentiment, but associating his personal political views with the University at large is asinine behavior as it alienates the (probably more than 50%) alumni who voted for Donald Trump. Personally, it makes no difference to me as I've long since stopped donating to UR because of its radical left wing views. The only things worth saving at UR are the books and most of the buildings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT