ADVERTISEMENT

Left Behind Again?

So you're blaming the players now? Not cool, man, they're just college kids doing their best.
LOL. Nice try, but far from it. Speaking of missing points, wow, did you ever miss mine here. But, I'm sure you really didn't. This latest post is just you being you because that's what you do on here.

The difference in so many of you on here and me is that you guys, in your ongoing need to be as negative as possible, always have to blame someone. You don't realize that when 2 teams play, one will win and one will lose, regardless of how well players played and coaches coached.

LOL. Nice try, but far from it. Speaking of missing points, wow, did you ever miss mine here. But, I'm sure you really didn't. This latest post is just you being you because that's what you do on here.

The difference in so many of you on here and me is that you guys, in your ongoing need to be as negative as possible, always have to blame someone. You don't realize that when 2 teams play, one will win and one will lose, regardless of how well players played and coaches coached.
So you're blaming God?

Reactions: whampas
Could we at least acknowledge that one possible reason is that our coaching is subpar?

I mean if it’s not the players, academics, transfer portal inequity, NIL, small school size, lack of local fans, small alumni base, lagging athletic facilities, commitment from the administration, or God/luck, then what is it?

For the record, I’m a very rational person with very rational expectations. I supported CM for over a decade while he often looked like he was learning on the job. Part of being rational is noting all of the above have been or continue to be challenges. But being rational also means everything is on the table, including that the coaching isn’t quite good enough.

No matter how much money he'd receive from us via NIL, does anyone really think Burton stays at UR over Villanova, after playing here for four years and earning his degree?

There are legit complaints about our program. Losing Burton isn't one of them. He was gone the second after we lost to GMU.
im not made at that. its the lack of success since the 10 year. He really hasn't done jack since then and idk why some think hes a good coach

Could we at least acknowledge that one possible reason is that our coaching is subpar?

I mean if it’s not the players, academics, transfer portal inequity, NIL, small school size, lack of local fans, small alumni base, lagging athletic facilities, commitment from the administration, or God/luck, then what is it?

For the record, I’m a very rational person with very rational expectations. I supported CM for over a decade while he often looked like he was learning on the job. Part of being rational is noting all of the above have been or continue to be challenges. But being rational also means everything is on the table, including that the coaching isn’t quite good enough.
We've moved on to 'Come on guys, only one team can win when two teams play' argument, try to keep up!

Does anyone know what Burton got in NIL money from Nova to make the transfer? That should be a good barometer of what we may need to compete with IF, and its a BIG IF - we want to buy in fully to this NIL program. That means pay up to not only attract top talent, but retain top talent from being poached.

Or will this be a nice little program that looks good on the surface, keeps up with the Joneses and the rest of the league and we can say we have an NIL collective like everyone else, and our players get a little extra meal money?

Well, first of all, I said "losing games", which, yes, believe it or not, every team does. I didn't say lose so often, or lose all the time, which is what EL, of course, and now you are pretending like I said. All I said was I have not heard our program (coach or ADs) make excuses about the things EL mentioned when losing games. Secondly, does your opening question mean you would acknowledge that coaching was above par in 2020 and 2022? I mean, if you think the down years are always a coaching issue, then what does that mean about the great, or even, good years? I think it's a combination of a lot of things when you win, and the same when you lose. Let me guess, sounds like you want to join the group on here that wants to blame Mooney when we lose, and then say the players bailed him out when we won?

Does anyone know what Burton got in NIL money from Nova to make the transfer? That should be a good barometer of what we may need to compete with IF, and its a BIG IF - we want to buy in fully to this NIL program. That means pay up to not only attract top talent, but retain top talent from being poached.

Or will this be a nice little program that looks good on the surface, keeps up with the Joneses and the rest of the league and we can say we have an NIL collective like everyone else, and our players get a little extra meal money?
I'm not sure Tyler is a good example. I don't think it matters what he got as far as our NIL is concerned. We were able to keep him for four years, and he got his degree here. If that happens with every star player we get here, then, that is a good thing. I would be more concerned from an NIL standpoint with losing other players, and whether or not we could match what is likely much less money than Tyler got.

I'm not sure Tyler is a good example. I don't think it matters what he got as far as our NIL is concerned. We were able to keep him for four years, and he got his degree here. If that happens with every star player we get here, then, that is a good thing. I would be more concerned from an NIL standpoint with losing other players, and whether or not we could match what is likely much less money than Tyler got.
Year 5 Tyler Burton is an exception along with every other Covid year extension situation. Thankfully that bogus stuff is almost over. I am sure we will never know, but I also don’t think Tyler got some crazy windfall of NIL dollars. My bet is the value is somewhere around the 40k that G league players earn. I listened to the Villanova NIL podcast that someone posted and the motivations sounded pure and not some kind of crazy win at all cost scheme. A total win-win for Tyler because the Big East is a far superior conference to the A10 and he avoids being a marked man as he will be surrounded by other scoring threats.

But we have to be competitive. If Burton got 1 million offer from Villanova - I am not saying we have to match, but we have to have the ability to offer far and above A10 average. Maybe we give 500K or more. Otherwise - we will be a revolving door of players that turn out to be good for us.

Your example is probably true for transfers we try to bring in - we have to be able to match their offers elsewhere to be able to recruit them. I agree with that. But in turn - this goes back to the type of players we recruit. Not sure guys like Quinn, Roche, Bigelow would have demanded much on the NIL market. But this is where NIL can make a splash - what if we could have offered the Beran kid, who is from Richmond, a solid NIL offer to transfer and come home to UR?

But in order for that to happen - UR has to be willing to go into that business, which at times can be shady and dark - and pay big money to get these players or at least attempt to get these players. We know all well and good other programs are offering NIL to recruits, which is illegal. Is that something UR will be willing to do - tell players, we have a 200K NIL deal waiting for you if you come?

Year 5 Tyler Burton is an exception along with every other Covid year extension situation. Thankfully that bogus stuff is almost over. I am sure we will never know, but I also don’t think Tyler got some crazy windfall of NIL dollars. My bet is the value is somewhere around the 40k that G league players earn. I listened to the Villanova NIL podcast that someone posted and the motivations sounded pure and not some kind of crazy win at all cost scheme. A total win-win for Tyler because the Big East is a far superior conference to the A10 and he avoids being a marked man as he will be surrounded by other scoring threats.
Agreed - but if that is the case, and lets say Nova only offered him 100K at best in NIL. Imagine if UR could have offered him 200K - that might have made him think twice before leaving. I still think he is in a good spot long term for pro aspirations. And too bad it was not with UR.

97 you could have started the NIL program at U of R along with other members of this board and then you could have made all the decisions. But instead of adding value to the program, you focus on complaining about everything. The people volunteering to run the program are making the decisions and are off to a great start. If anyone would like to make a large donation I can put you in front the the right people.
You didn't answer my question as to why VCU can have their entire athletic department in a virtual townhall about their NIL, but according to you Mooney is forbidden from even talking about it.

Secondly, I would rather light my money on fire than contribute to this NIL. As I have repeatedly said, I have zero confidence in the head coach and athletic leadership at UR, so why would I want to financially support leadership I have no faith in. When Mooney and Hardt are gone, I will certainly re-evaluate this stance.

Lastly, anyone has any done anything in a fundraising capacity, knows that you want as many donors as possible and small donors make up the lifeblood of any sustained effort. Yet, we seem to want to make this a very exclusive club comprised of a few people who can only give a "large donation". Might work now but as any fundraiser knows, donors can switch their interests at any time, which is why you would want a thousand donors give a $1,000 each versus one guy giving a million dollars.

You didn't answer my question as to why VCU can have their entire athletic department in a virtual townhall about their NIL, but according to you Mooney is forbidden from even talking about it.

Secondly, I would rather light my money on fire than contribute to this NIL. As I have repeatedly said, I have zero confidence in the head coach and athletic leadership at UR, so why would I want to financially support leadership I have no faith in. When Mooney and Hardt are gone, I will certainly re-evaluate this stance.

Lastly, anyone has any done anything in a fundraising capacity, knows that you want as many donors as possible and small donors make up the lifeblood of any sustained effort. Yet, we seem to want to make this a very exclusive club comprised of a few people who can only give a "large donation". Might work now but as any fundraiser knows, donors can switch their interests at any time, which is why you would want a thousand donors give a $1,000 each versus one guy giving a million dollars.
So, you won't give a penny, but you turn around and act like it should be so easy to get 1,000 people to each give $1000? I think a school our size would prefer big donors over little ones. To make your 1,000 give $1000 work, not only would you have to get the 1,000 who will donate to our school, but then those that do would have to be okay with the money going to the NIL fund instead of other interests they might have.

Last edited:
So, you won't give a penny, but you turn around and act like it should be so easy to get 1,000 people to each give $1000? I think a school our size would prefer big donors over little ones. To make your 1,000 give $1000 work, not only would you have to get the 1,000 who will donate to our school, but then those that do would have to be okay with the money going to the NIL fund instead of other interests they might have.
Well, you are correct that a lot of Richmond alumni and fans, particularly of the basketball program are deciding to give their $$$ elsewhere.

But again from a fundraising perspective, more donors is always better. And you have to have outreach to prospective donors to sell them on the reasons to donate. Which is why VCU hosted its townhall the other night, meanwhile Queally announced ours on a FB fan message account in response to being questioned if we even have one and in the process seemed to make a point of saying, he and a small number of well heeled donors have got this covered.

Well, you are correct that a lot of Richmond alumni and fans, particularly of the basketball program are deciding to give their $$$ elsewhere.

But again from a fundraising perspective, more donors is always better. And you have to have outreach to prospective donors to sell them on the reasons to donate. Which is why VCU hosted its townhall the other night, meanwhile Queally announced ours on a FB fan message account in response to being questioned if we even have one and in the process seemed to make a point of saying, he and a small number of well heeled donors have got this covered.
So, attacking Queally again for this? It is amazing to me that he gets so much crap on here. I will never make that make any sense. I doubt any other fan base in the whole country has as much anger toward their big donor as ours does.

So, attacking Queally again for this? It is amazing to me that he gets so much crap on here. I will never make that make any sense. I doubt any other fan base in the whole country has as much anger toward their big donor as ours does.
How is restating what he said in his FB announcement of the NIL an attack on Queally?

It is weird. I ask a question as to why our NIL is completely cut off from our athletic department while VCU's is not and instead of answering the question, I get lectured on how I should have started my on NIL. And then I restate what Queally said in his FB announcement on the NIL and I am attacking Queally. Ok, then.

To me, it feels that we set up some top secret NIL that is locked off from both our own athletic department and the larger fan base who might want to contribute. Meanwhile, our peer universities have set up NIL that integrate more with their athletic department and allow opportunities for more to contribute vs. just a select few.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Yes, we do seem to be going about it very strangely...most other collectives have had public involvement of their athletic departments and coaches, and are working to solicit support from as many people as they can get. We've gone the complete opposite direction.

I do suspect it's because we're flat-footed on this. We need an NIL program to compete but don't have the momentum for one so Queally got a couple of friends and threw some money together to be able to say we have one and then we'll figure it out for real later. At least that's what it looks like from the outside.

Years ago, I stepped into the locker room at the local facility, to get my towel, after a masters swim practice and a ‘62 VMI grad I got to be on good terms with said, “ can you read the sign about drying off before entering the Locker room? Didn’t they teach you anything at Richmond?”
“Yes, sir, they taught us to question authority!”
He had no response. So as a proud Spiders we should, always question “authority”.
So 97, Wood and even Gallipoli, keep those feets to the fires.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yes, we do seem to be going about it very strangely...most other collectives have had public involvement of their athletic departments and coaches, and are working to solicit support from as many people as they can get. We've gone the complete opposite direction.

I do suspect it's because we're flat-footed on this. We need an NIL program to compete but don't have the momentum for one so Queally got a couple of friends and threw some money together to be able to say we have one and then we'll figure it out for real later. At least that's what it looks like from the outside.
I think this is probably closest to the truth. Just seemed odd our announcement came right after VCU and seemed rushed. And this fits the pattern of dealing with things - do just enough to look competitive. I think you are probably right - Queally contacted them, said we need one and put the money up - got a few friends involved, and therefore - UR could say we have an NIL collective, but I got a feeling it is in the very early stages and probably not thought out yet - which is why UR probably didn't have a big announcement, town hall, etc.

There's clearly been something in the works for at least a little while, as Queally made reference to it back when he was telling people on Facebook how hard it is for us to compete.

But for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be fully organized yet and by all appearances, VCU simply forced our hand to show that we were doing something, anything, so a Facebook post from Queally is the best we could do.

Reactions: 97spiderfan

Our annual Day of Giving raised more than $800K for athletics this year, a 17% increase from 2022. Giving has increased by more than 65% from 2021. Men's basketball raised almost $168K, the No. 2 amount in the department.

More than 1,500 donated to athletics, another record. That would indicate to me that many, many, many people are not deciding to give their money elsewhere. That's "more donors," which, as you said, it always better.

Reactions: VT4700
I do find it interesting that while men's hoops was #2 in dollars raised, they were 11th out of 15 teams in number of donors at 61. So they were boosted significantly by a relatively small number of high-value donors (Queally?).

Men's basketball raised almost $168K, the No. 2 amount in the department.
However, from the article you quoted “In addition to Men's Lacrosse, six other teams had more than 100 different donors during the event: Women's Lacrosse (173), Swimming & Diving (164), Men's Golf (141), Football (114), Women's Cross-Country and Track & Field (112), and Baseball (109).”

What’s missing from the statement above? Looks like some of the “premier sports” sure aren’t getting the popular support, which is EXACTLY what is being pointed out by others.

Lacrosse (both Men’s and Women’s) is getting the most support because everyone likes to support winners.

(Note: @SFspidur You type too fast 😀)

But for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be fully organized yet and by all appearances, VCU simply forced our hand to show that we were doing something, anything, so a Facebook post from Queally is the best we could do.
Agreed. This is exactly how it looks to me that it went down. VCU had a big roll out, which got covered in the RTD, our fan base started asking questions about what we were doing, and Queally responded to a Facebook post.

Not sure that is how you want to roll this out especially when Big Brother down the street, had a big event that drew lots of attention. One would think that in and of itself would have kicked our NIL backers into high gear to put something more formal out, other than a response to a Facebook post. But yet, here we are.

OTOH, many people who already support men's basketball and football via season-ticket purchases, etc., don't feel the need to contribute over and above what they've already spent.

My guess is those who donate to the other sports spend no money on tickets (or are related to current players), so this is their primary means of program support. People give money to the lacrosse programs, great. Their largest crowds would be the smallest for men's basketball and football. Women's lacrosse draws 250 fans a game, men's maybe 2-3 times that.

The main point is, 97 said alumni and fans are deciding to give their money elsewhere. That's unproveable. What is provable is the amount of money, and the number of donors, for athletics is rising.

As far as the "premier" sports (men's basketball) not getting popular support, our attendance is very solid and close to an all-time high. If course, when that is noted, it's pointed out here all the time that we're not selling the "right" kind of tickets, or that tickets are "too affordable," or that an empty seat or two shows we're simply papering the house and that sellouts aren't really sellouts.

Last edited:
The main point is, 97 said alumni and fans are deciding to give their money elsewhere. That's unproveable. What is proveable is the amount of money, and the number of donors, for athletics is rising.
Is it provable? It's rising as far as Giving Day is concerned, but is that the same as overall donors/donations?

Or is the tradition of Giving Day as "the day" to make your gifts rather than spreading out across the year just becoming a thing over the past few years we've been doing this? I honestly don't know the answer, and UR athletics doesn't publish an annual financial report.

VT4700,
For what it's worth man, every time I read one of your posts I cringe. Whether you agree or like it or not, and I'm sure you don't, you are part of the problem and not the naysayers. The facts of our mediocrity in the form of coach and athletic department have been stated here many times and they are indeed....facts!

OTOH, many people who already support men's basketball and football via season-ticket purchases, etc., don't feel the need to contribute over and above what they've already spent.

My guess is those who donate to the other sports spend no money on tickets (or are related to current players), so this is their primary means of program support. People give money to the lacrosse programs, great. Their largest crowds would be the smallest for men's basketball and football. Women's lacrosse draws 250 fans a game, men's maybe 2-3 times that.

The main point is, 97 said alumni and fans are deciding to give their money elsewhere. That's unproveable. What is provable is the amount of money, and the number of donors, for athletics is rising.

As far as the "premier" sports (men's basketball) not getting popular support, our attendance is very solid and close to an all-time high. If course, when that is noted, it's pointed out here all the time that we're not selling the "right" kind of tickets, or that tickets are "too affordable," or that an empty seat or two shows we're simply papering the house and that sellouts aren't really sellouts.
The fact that 2.5 times more people donated to our Swimming and Diving team than to our flagship sport, Men's Basketball, should tell you something. If it doesn't, than you just don't really want to hear what that message is.

Also not sure why they're saying that "more than 1,500 donors" to athletics was a record this year. Back in 2020, they claimed 2,569 athletics donors.

2021 was then a disastrous giving day at around 850 athletics donors after they delayed it in the wake of the building renaming controversy, then bounced back up to around 1,500 in 2022, so 2023 looks to have been a small increase over that.

Reactions: Eight Legger
This is the category that I put myself in. I will continue to buy season tickets and attend the games because I love college basketball and UR’s pros outweigh the cons for me.

Also, I agree that Giving Day is mostly parents and friends of athletes donating money to support them, which is why I think it is a strange thing to cite to demonstrate satisfaction with the state of UR athletics.

Well, first of all, I said "losing games", which, yes, believe it or not, every team does. I didn't say lose so often, or lose all the time, which is what EL, of course, and now you are pretending like I said. All I said was I have not heard our program (coach or ADs) make excuses about the things EL mentioned when losing games. Secondly, does your opening question mean you would acknowledge that coaching was above par in 2020 and 2022? I mean, if you think the down years are always a coaching issue, then what does that mean about the great, or even, good years? I think it's a combination of a lot of things when you win, and the same when you lose. Let me guess, sounds like you want to join the group on here that wants to blame Mooney when we lose, and then say the players bailed him out when we won?
Hilarious, all that verbal gymnastics and you couldn't bring yourself to even hint at the possibility that coaching has been even a part of our problems here.

Re: your post. It seems to fit in quite well with everything else associated with the basketball program. Wouldn’t expect it to follow a more expected process.

2020 was a great year, 2022 was an underperforming regular season with a great post season. The coaching staff is to be congratulated for both.

Unfortunately there’s a long history of not being so great in other seasons. But I suspect you’d blame that on something other than coaching.

When I look at the performance longitudinally, it’s nothing to write home about. It can’t always be about everything other than coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT