ADVERTISEMENT

Opponent Tracker 2022-2023

Off topic. Maybe Ply was watching. But hell of a game, sdsu and New Mexico. Blow after blow from 13,000 crowd and good UNM team, and SDSU wins at the buzzer by Lamont Butler. Butler was a scapegoat earlier in the year blowing the Arkansas game. Lost his sister last year in season. Both teams played at VCU+ level all game. Wow. Wish we would play that hard.

Reactions: plydogg
Bradley with the double-digit victory over Drake to win the MVC regular-season title for the first time in 27 years. Definitely not going to help the Bulldogs' at-large effort.

Looking forward to going see our Spiders play at Loyola Chicago next year and hope Sister Jean will be at her normal seat - nice segment ...

Reactions: KE Spider
Weir with 2 points as FGCU meekly wrapped up its season with a loss to Queens, which is in its first year of transitioning to D-I.

Still have to win the A10 tournament to sniff the NCAAs.
They're going to be bailed out by the worst A10 since at least 2007 season. Gotta give them credit, playing good enough ball to get on the bubble. Shame we struggle to overachieve no matter what, and the opposite is true with them.

It is what it is, our administration couldn't care less, much less even acknowledge its a problem. Sure it was a nice sugar rush to finally beat them last year for once when it actually counted, but one euphoric win in a year we were supposed to be better than them doesn't magically negate all the other memorable losses.

Last edited:
I used to have a very strong dislike for VCU. I still can't stand them, but respect the way they bring energy and effort just about every game. You have to appreciate their consistency year in and year out. It makes me realize how far behind we are. My newfound appreciation of VCU's on-court performance is just another symptom of the diehard UR fan's fandom slowly being sucked out of our program. This is thanks to UR administration's lackadaisical approach to winning in the Spider program.

I still hate VCU. It makes me happy to know they have no chance of an at-large bid.
Yah - insane that 20 of their 23 wins are Q3 or Q4 .. A10 teams can't let this happen again next season - going to need to have fewer home non-conference gains and be willing to travel anywhere at anytime.

I still hate VCU. It makes me happy to know they have no chance of an at-large bid.

They r in brackets as auto placeholder, if they got eliminated from auto they would show up on some. I guess their odds r low but it's not zero. 23-7 now w 67 NET & higher in other metrics except kenpom. but if they finish 25-8 or 26-8 they would have a case, would be on bubble, and if u r on bubble u have some chance. The bubble is normally weak, I haven't paid as much attention to it this year bc we stink. They r hurt by weak OOS both in conference and OOC, but they do have a good win vs. Pitt, won A10 reg season easy, and have some name cache from past NCAAs. If they were out of it I'd be happy to say so, unfortunately they do what they always do.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I would dearly love to see THEM again. It's a nothing to lose scenario. Us anti-Mooneynites won't even be able to count loss against his record. My opinion win could happen but would need an exceptional 3PT shooting night which we know this team has that upside potential. The team isn't going far in the tourney so ruining their season would be great.

I'm not nearly as confident of this as you. I suspect that if VCU wins their final game, AND makes it to A-10 final, they are in. Any loss otherwise, and I see them as out.

Their recent history (which makes them a NCAA darling) may well get them a bid under the scenario listed.

I'm not nearly as confident of this as you. I suspect that if VCU wins their final game, AND makes it to A-10 final, they are in. Any loss otherwise, and I see them as out.

Their recent history (which makes them a NCAA darling) may well get them a bid under the scenario listed.
We can all blame Shaka for that ..... talk about conspiracy theorists below including Joe L lol. We really paid this guy to help out with previous OOC schedule(s)? :( Looking at resume Homer doubt they can get in unless winning league tourney but wouldn't surprise if they did. I like your thinking though.

GREENSBORO​

5aq - Saint Mary's
12aq - VCU
4Virginia
13aq - Hofstra

5 Northwestern
12 VCU
4 Virginia
13 So. Miss

a4ff60e1-0639-4439-b51a-9064af288422-bracket-02-27.jpg

All about $$$$$ not a long ride to possibly Greensboro

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I would dearly love to see THEM again. It's a nothing to lose scenario. Us anti-Mooneynites won't even be able to count loss against his record. My opinion win could happen but would need an exceptional 3PT shooting night which we know this team has that upside potential. The team isn't going far in the tourney so ruining their season would be great.
Yeah, they thoroughly kicked our ass twice, I wouldn't expect a different result if we played them a 3rd time. Best path right now is the 11 seed, where we play Loyola Chicago, than GW, than Fordham. Those are all teams we have and can beat.

I would avoid at all costs, VCU, Dayton, we would have no chance against them. Also avoid, St Bonnie and SLU, one because Schmidt is a better coach than what we have and SLU cause they have more talent and somehow gifted a winnable game to us, so they will have an ass kicking revenge on their mind.

Either way, I don't see us winning more than a game in the A-10 tourney. This team is running on fumes and those fumes are almost gone.

Reactions: SpiderK and whampas
VCU has two Q4 losses. They are also behind Yale, Sam Houston and far behind Charleston, which is supposedly not in either. Bottom line: they are not getting an at-large bid.

VCU has two Q4 losses. They are also behind Yale, Sam Houston and far behind Charleston, which is supposedly not in either. Bottom line: they are not getting an at-large bid.

lol sam houston & yale r not getting a bid b4 VCU. Charleston I would give you for sure. NET is ncaa top metric but there r others & of course they don't go straight by Net order. heck Trap was telling me in offseason the ncaa top layer for qualification is ESPN's BPI not the NCAA own NET. That was weird but they r higher in BPI. & all those teams could be in as auto anyway. Sure VCU needs some things to go their way - teams will move down for instance - but odds r way higher than your 0%. Maybe they were less than 0% early in year when u were saying how badly they sucked. We've gone from they suck to well they're still not getting an at large. Big swing at least. Believe me I don't want to see VCU in as auto or at large but they've given themselves a shot.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Yes, they don't select teams straight off NET. That horse was beaten back in 2020 or so.
I'm pretty sure every year since NET was invented, teams have taken at-large bids over others who had a better NET.

Well...

Bracket Matrix has last ones in:
Memphis
USC
Boise St
WVU
Miss St
AZ St
Wisconsin

First ones out:
Ok St
UNC
Michigan
Ut St
Clemson
Penn St

Others now AQ could be first out:
Oral Roberts
Charleston
VCU
Drake
Bradley
Liberty

The only other bubble team with two quad 4 losses is Clemson, which will get in 100 times out of 100 ahead of VCU. That's where things begin and end for them.

VCU has 3 wins against top-100 NET teams. It has losses to NET teams 110, 124, 180, 222. This dog won't hunt.

To really have a chance, they would need to beat both Dayton and St. Louis in the A-10s, but that's going to be impossible because they would have to face one of them in the title game, which in this scenario obviously would be a loss.

Last edited:
Wisconsin is the last one in in a number of brackets, yet they sit 7 spots behind VCU in the NET at the moment. But thanks to big-boy advantages, they have 6 Q1 wins to hang their hat on.

Reactions: urfan1
I believe NET is used mostly to determine the quality of wins and losses in a teams resume, and isn’t directly used to evaluate a team itself.

So having a net of 20 is meaningless, but beating a team with a net of 20 is really good for the resume.

Not a fan of the Broad St boys, but the NCAA loves storylines and so I wouldn’t be surprised if they landed an at large and were once again in the First Four IF they beat GW, make it to the A10 final and lose.

The A10 and possibly other mid-majors would be lobbying for them also.

I wouldn’t say it is likely, but definitely seems possible.

How sad it is that the A10 could be an autobid league.

Not a fan of the Broad St boys, but the NCAA loves storylines and so I wouldn’t be surprised if they landed an at large and were once again in the First Four IF they beat GW, make it to the A10 final and lose.

The A10 and possibly other mid-majors would be lobbying for them also.

I wouldn’t say it is likely, but definitely seems possible.

How sad it is that the A10 could be an autobid league.
Some may disagree but I am perfectly fine with VCU as an at large when they reach the Finals at Barclays but then sadly lose to the mighty Spiders who win our 6th in a row 74-73 on a Roche 3pt killer shot.

They haven't done much in the tourny except in 2011.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT