ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Iowa game thread

If UNI decides to key in on Burton and double/trap him I’d like to see Roche out there early and often to make them pay. He didn’t shoot well against VMI but that’s just one game. When Tyler is pressured if he can pass out to Roche to hit some open 3’s early we can not only get out to a lead but buy some more space on the court for Tyler to work into

I didn’t see the first game last night. Looking at history Northern Iowa always has a descent team. This game does kinda concern me a bit. I know Northern Iowa didn’t play anyone. Putting over 100 points on anyone is impressive.
The guy that didn’t watch the first game shouldn’t be starting these threads.

Spiders -7.5 favorites

• Haha
Reactions: Section9.RowD
Mooney and Grace press conference. Mooney speaks highly of Grace's ability to play forward and center and Nelson's second half play. Says to be determined about plans for the two remaining scholarships...still prefers 4-5 year guys, but we'll see what happens.

Over/Under Quinn Minutes 21.5

Over/Under Goose Minutes 28.5

I will take Quinn under slightly - think he gets 20 minutes.

I got Goose over in Minutes - right at 30.
Trap, I'll take your bet. I've got Goose at 25 tonight.

I think Quinn will be closer to 25 minutes, which means Grace will get less minutes. Might also see Walz if we have a 10 point lead near end of game.

Goose's minutes will go down slightly and Burton's will rise at the guard position.

Last edited:
Sman, I agree, it's a numbers game at their various positions. Walz has to be ready bc there will be games where Quinn and Grace both get 2 first half fouls and he's the next option. For Noyes, a much less-likely scenario, considering our wing depth and ability to slide guards to the wing if needed as well.

Walz looked timid with the ball the other night IMO, never thought about doing anything other than passing immediately. First time in a game in Moon's system it's understandable, he looked like he was thinking a lot on offense and trying to just run it, rather than make any play. Defense he looked fine in that limited span.

Spiders -7, o/u 137.5 so Vegas not expecting a lot of points tonight.

Quinn's minutes were limited in last game due to foul trouble...
:confused: Quinn finished with 2 fouls, both cheap ones.....the bad call midway through the first half when Woods backed into him 20 feet from the basket and the iffy one midway through the second half when he turned it over after his attempted pass was tipped and he grazed the VMI player trying to go the other way with it.

Reactions: UR80sfan
I expect tonight's game to be closer. If this game stays within 12 points most of the night - which I expect - I think you see 3 guys tonight at 28+ minutes. Those 3 for me are Burton, Nelson, and Goose. And would not be surprised if all 3 are above 30. Burton could be above 35.

I didn’t see the first game last night. Looking at history Northern Iowa always has a descent team. This game does kinda concern me a bit. I know Northern Iowa didn’t play anyone. Putting over 100 points on anyone is impressive.
VMI put up 100 against the Penn State-New Kensington Nittany Lions last night. How many did they score against us on opening night? What UNI scored against Wartburg means nothing.

Reactions: SFspidur
we aren't going to win a lot of games going 7-28 from 3. and we know we're going to keep shooting them.
someone's got to step up and make shots. I predict Matt hits two first half 3's tonight.

VMI put up 100 against the Penn State-New Kensington Nittany Lions last night. How many did they score against us on opening night? What UNI scored against Wartburg means nothing.
Are you saying all Penn States are not equal? ;)

And I disagree...A high score against Wartburg means nothing...If they had scored 50 against Wartburg THAT would mean something.

we aren't going to win a lot of games going 7-28 from 3. and we know we're going to keep shooting them.
someone's got to step up and make shots. I predict Matt hits two first half 3's tonight.
And I predict Roche goes 4 of 7 in 14 minutes...

I agree, we need to keep shooting them, and we need to make a good amount of them. I would be happy with 10-28 (35.7%) every game.

The good part of the 7-28, if we can find anything positive about 25%, is we had 6 different guys make a 3. The bad part is our starters were 4-17, and the 3 guys we probably expect to shoot them the most (Tyler, Roche, and Bigelow) went 3-15. I'm always concerned about 3 point shooting, but hopefully, this was just one tough game, and not an indication of how the year goes from 3.

Reactions: plydogg
I think Quinn will be closer to 25 minutes, which means Grace will get less minutes. Might also see Walz if we have a 10 point lead near end of game.

Goose's minutes will go down slightly and Burton's will rise at the guard position.
Unfortunately for us but it'll be hard to keep Grace off the floor as I think we're short handed at the 4,5.
No minutes for Burton at guard... If anything he plays more "4" tonite for more of a scoring punch.

All set to watch this one tonight. Ouch, just re-upped on ESPN+ and now 9.99/month. But can't go without during hoops season.

I am expecting Grace to be a bit more aggessive on O and Goose to get some buckets too. I am hoping that between shaking off some rust in game 1, and a Friday night crowd honoring the team's accomplishments, we get a good offensive flow and score some points. Predicting two monster dunks from Burton, and Noyes sneaking in for one as well. Grace with 8 points, Goose 8, Dji 8 pts 6 Rebounds and 4 assists. Jaynel with 14 points 5 assists. Burton with 27. Quinn with 10 points.

Spiders 83 UNI 71

Reactions: plydogg
All set to watch this one tonight. Ouch, just re-upped on ESPN+ and now 9.99/month. But can't go without during hoops season.

I am expecting Grace to be a bit more aggessive on O and Goose to get some buckets too. I am hoping that between shaking off some rust in game 1, and a Friday night crowd honoring the team's accomplishments, we get a good offensive flow and score some points. Predicting two monster dunks from Burton, and Noyes sneaking in for one as well. Grace with 8 points, Goose 8, Dji 8 pts 6 Rebounds and 4 assists. Jaynel with 14 points 5 assists. Burton with 27. Quinn with 10 points.

Spiders 83 UNI 71k
Don’t forget Bigelow, 11pts.

In a few minutes shutting down my crazy Spider friends texting group, Twitter, and this forum. Looking forward to the ~ 1030 no spoiler tip-off replay on espn+ after kid’s 17th bday dinner at omakase sushi joint in Cambridge. Go Spiders.
Enjoy the night, hopefully you have a big Spider victory to come home to!

Also, just a tip when watching replay on espn+. After you search Richmond be wary to not scroll down to highlights, I’ve had the score spoiled like that a couple times

Reactions: Section9.RowD
If we could shoot we'd be dangerous. Working for the good shot just not knocking them down. Giving up too many second shots.

Both teams in the Bonus, free throw shooting key with 8 to go in the half

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT