ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Iowa game thread

Gospiders06

Team Manager
Jan 25, 2018
I didn’t see the first game last night. Looking at history Northern Iowa always has a descent team. This game does kinda concern me a bit. I know Northern Iowa didn’t play anyone. Putting over 100 points on anyone is impressive.

Will need to up our game .. Bowen Born's 3rd career game against the Spiders and he's the type of Davidsonesq guard/shooter who has the ability to get hot and cause us pain if we don't play him tight.

Reactions: plydogg
Took a look at the Almanac, they are picking UNI 6th in the MVC this year. Look very similar to us in that lost most of their production from last season, including AJ Green.

I think this game should give us a lot better gauge than VMI. VMI was a good dress rehearsal, get the nerves out game vs a bad opponent. Should be a lot of energy in the building with the championship presentation, etc. Looking for big game from Burton, more of the same from Bigs and Dji. Goose and Grace to have big games. Hopefully will be able to see the game, really interested to see what Quinn looks like in this one.

Is the forecast for rain/tropical storm going to be bad up this way?

Thanks, it seems that it will be like that here too. Hoping for light rain or at least not a downpour while driving.

Reactions: CH_Spider
Here is my thought. We had better play a much better 40 minutes of offensive basketball than we played against VMI. If we screw around and decide to chuck up 3's for the better part of half like we did against VMI, we are going to lose. I wanna see us pounding the ball inside to our bigs and guys like Goose, Dji, and Nelson getting themselves to the hoop to try and score or be fouled.

Mooney, I think made an adjustment at halftime to our play, but lets not come out with 5 guys standing around the 3 point line as our offensive set.

My thoughts exactly, I want to see us take advantage of our size, our quickness and dare I say...athleticism of our guards. I'm sure they are going to have us scouted well but we def have to shoot the ball better. I want to see us attack the rim get some easy buckets then hopefully that opens up the outside for Roche and TB.

Reactions: nathanw19
We should use our length and athleticism to pound the offensive glass. I know it's contrary to Mooney’s philosophy but maybe he needs to wakeup. Points are points and you can't leave them out there.

I wonder if they will concentrate on Burton after last season’s game?

Seems like a key match up will be Nelson and Dji's defense against Bowen Born. Looking forward to those two shutting him down. Seems like a good test for facing Foster Loyer later in the year.

BTW, Foster's little brother (6'4 guard Fletcher) is a true freshman off to a great start at Purdue, following being named Gatorade POY in Indiana as a senior in H.S.

I mean, they lost their undisputed top 3 guys from last season. Did they reload or must they rebuild? Hard to tell against Wartburg College 😂

They r very young. Basically all frosh & soph. Also lost a couple bench guys and are without their all-MVC big man due to illness, his career may be over.

So only have 2 out of top 8 back. Good program, they won the MVC last year, so we have to respect them but they lost a lot no doubt.

Focus on shutting down Born and take care of business.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Some keys to the game in my mind, based on the little I saw of the first game and comments on here:

1) PG match up - as mentioned above. Nelson looked great the part of the game I watched. Seems to have a little flair to his game, which i don't mind, but let's keep it simple and not try to do too much at this time. Lock down D and make the plays in front of you on offense. Attack the paint. Same with Dji, keep attacking the smaller guards, get to the rim and play lock down D.
2) Burton - just get comfortable out there, use your athleticism to get some easy baskets and pick your spots on the three's. Control the glass.
3) Quinn - Agree with the sentiment on here - I know he is a good passer from high post, but lets get him the ball on the block a bit too and let him score or draw a double team and find open teammates.
4) Looking for Bigelow to do a little of everything.
5) Let's see who can hit some 3's for us. Interested to see if Goose can have an impact on offense after all of the discussion. 5th year guy, now's the time to step up and get some buckets.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
What I found interesting was that VMI targeted Quinn immediately, instituting the double on him on defense, sometimes even 3 guys were defending him. This decision forced us to shoot the 3 and I bet Mooney let it go just to see what he got from his players from the outside.

As noted above, that's not going to work agains UNI. It would be interesting, if Quinn starts, if they do the same. That was impactful in the first half against us and early season 3 PT% is usually pretty low.

If I was Mooney, I'd work the ball around and pull Quinn up top at times. He's not TJ or Grant, but seems like in the limited court time time from VMI, he took care of the basketball and could pass. Let our guards cut and then take or kick

Think every team we play is going to focus on Burton.
Correct - you have two options right now with the Spiders until other offensive weapons prove themselves viable threats on a nightly basis.

1) Key on Burton - make life difficult for him and focus all efforts on him. You likely won't stop him, but if you make him shoot a low percentage or force him to take shots he is not comfortable taking - you have done your job. Your also willing to give up open shots to other players - thought being, you don't think any of them can beat you and go off and score 20+ points in a game.

2) PLay Burton straight up, limit teammates. This option you just put your best defender on Burton and let him defend with little to no help. But in doing so - you don't give anyone else easy opportunities. Meaning - You will likely want Burton to score 25+ to get UR going.

I would expect teams to focus on Burton early. Make life difficult. But I could see A10 teams matching up with him 1 v 1, and not letting anyone else beat them.

But the quicker we have other options - like Bigelow, Quinn, Goose, Nelson, Grace, etc - show themselves capable of knocking down shots if left open and capable of scoring in bunches if left alone and forgotten, this will limit these strategies.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Seems like a key match up will be Nelson and Dji's defense against Bowen Born. Looking forward to those two shutting him down. Seems like a good test for facing Foster Loyer later in the year.

BTW, Foster's little brother (6'4 guard Fletcher) is a true freshman off to a great start at Purdue, following being named Gatorade POY in Indiana as a senior in H.S.
Me too 😀

Reactions: spider23
What I found interesting was that VMI targeted Quinn immediately, instituting the double on him on defense, sometimes even 3 guys were defending him. This decision forced us to shoot the 3 and I bet Mooney let it go just to see what he got from his players from the outside.

As noted above, that's not going to work agains UNI. It would be interesting, if Quinn starts, if they do the same. That was impactful in the first half against us and early season 3 PT% is usually pretty low.

If I was Mooney, I'd work the ball around and pull Quinn up top at times. He's not TJ or Grant, but seems like in the limited court time time from VMI, he took care of the basketball and could pass. Let our guards cut and then take or kick
Issue with having Quinn outside a lot is that I am not sure how capable of a shooter he is. I think he only attempted 5 three pointers last year. So its almost like a Cayo situation, but Quinn is not able to drive to the hoop. Opposing centers can literally stand in the lane and clog all cutters while he has the ball on the perimeter. Something you could not do with TJ or Grant - as they were not great shooters from deep, but capable of knocking them down or dribbling into the paint to get closer.

We should use our length and athleticism to pound the offensive glass. I know it's contrary to Mooney’s philosophy but maybe he needs to wakeup. Points are points and you can't leave them out there.
Not our style, so I wouldn't look for this. Yes, points are points, but transition points that we would give up if we constantly crashed the offensive boards are points too. I am probably in the minority on the board with this, but I have no issues with our style of play, and I can't stand when teams I want to win give up easy layups and open 3s in transition.

VMI wanted to run and were terrible shooters to boot, so not conceding fastbreak points and forcing them into halfcourt sets was always going to be a winning plan. It's also Moon's comfort zone. But getting Moon to accentuate the strengths of a given team is what we all want, right? So if that means using our size in different ways, I'm all for it.

For sure I'd like to see more aggression from Quinn and more creative passing from him from the post if they double him. I don't remember his 3 assists, but I do remember lots of passes straight back to whoever fed him the ball when the double teams came, effectively allowing VMI to reset their defense. Need to have better passes that force the defense into mismatches or to scramble.

I don't remember his 3 assists, ...
assists are a funny stat. sometimes you create and make a great pass and your guy misses. other times you do almost nothing and get credit. your stat line can look amazing if teammates shoot well.

Neal's assists were a low post kickout to Goose for his one 3, a low post kickout to Dji for his one 3, and a backdoor pass to Burton for a layup.

assists are a funny stat. sometimes you create and make a great pass and your guy misses. other times you do almost nothing and get credit. your stat line can look amazing if teammates shoot well.

Neal's assists were a low post kickout to Goose for his one 3, a low post kickout to Dji for his one 3, and a backdoor pass to Burton for a layup.
Didn't Grace have 3 as well?

I have not seen any odds for the game yet. Looking at computer rankings where we are around 85th and NI at 125, I would expect we will be 5 to 10 points favorites.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Didn't Grace have 3 as well?
yes. I think the long outlet to Bigelow (not sure if that counted since Zay took 2 dribbles), a shot-fake dribble kick to Nelson for his 3, and a low post kick to Burton for 3.

Over/Under Quinn Minutes 21.5

Over/Under Goose Minutes 28.5

I will take Quinn under slightly - think he gets 20 minutes.

I got Goose over in Minutes - right at 30.

Thanks sman, helpful. I believe the Goose 3 was right at the shot clock buzzer. You're correct on passing, as I don't remember the other two assists though I do remember the shots themselves. It's his first game in our system, he'll be more decisive and hopefully aggressive in making post moves before double teams come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT