ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Iowa game thread

56% from 2, 8/9 from the line, we’ll take that any half

Just need some 3’s to fall, and we had some good looks. Grace was wide open 3 times

We definitely need to have more than 3 assists in the second half. Guys are going to have to hit open shots

Reactions: whampas
My biggest gripe of that first half was not getting Burton and Bigelow (and Roche even) more shots. They kept feeding Quinn and it became a hot potato passing event. Find Burton!

Bench notes:
Bigelow looked a little too hyped on both ends.
Great minutes from Randolph.
Roche got beat a couple times, but also had a nice deflection that then hit his man and caused a turnover and is hustling on defense. His 3 was great - need more of that.
Dji forced a couple early in the clock but is playing well on defense.

The three point shooting will improve as we play more games, as the guys figure out who should and shouldn’t be shooting them

7 minutes left and Quinn and Grace have 8 of the teams 9 assists. They aren’t dishing out crazy passes or anything but they are currently looking like the best passers on the team.

Nelson has the craftiness, reminds me of KA. Holds the ball a little too much at times but absolutely love his ability to get to the rim. Spiders always need a finisher at end of shot clock bc of the motion offense, looks like he might be that guy.

Burton got a little dribble happy on some back ins, Spiders need to get him more looks, period.

Another great 2nd half, like the adjustments to come out hot and take control of the game again. Shooters came around in the 2nd half.

UNI played 4 guards. Big guys shouldn't be putting the ball on the floor. Quick, smaller guys scratching back after the ball.

Spiders 8-26 (30.7%) from 3 before emptying the bench, 8-27 overall. Considering they started I believe 1-14 it is an at least respectable number. We see what Roche can do and how the new out of bounds plays may look to hunt him 3s.

We're looking dangerous. This team has some weapons to keep coaches guessing in their preparation. Burton, Nelson, and Roche are a problem. If Bigelow can get get going next and Quinn actually decides to bully down in the post, we're going somewhere. Plus, if Grace can knock down some 3's, that's an added bonus in my book.

UNI had seven freshmen and six sophs on their team. If they can get a big man they will be very good in a couple of years.
Very nice games from Nelson and Roche. Hope they can continue playing that well. Nice to see Quinn inching closer to the low blocks. Now if someone would just tell him to start down there...........

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT