ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

any idea if Rothstein gets guidance on these lineups?
it's definitely possible ... maybe even likely ... that Roche gets healthy and starts. but I'm holding out hope that Roumoglou, Tanner or even McGlothin looks so good that one beats Roche out for the starting spot.

Rothstein hacked by VCU fans.

I got issues with those rankings nearly top to bottom (nearly, as LaSalle and Fordham bringing up the rear is hard to argue against)

Reactions: AnnapSpider
The consensus is forming and the Spiders are starting out way down in Tier 3.

Preseason Torvik (adjustments were recently made to formula)

53 VCU
58 Dayton
79 St Joes
85 Mason
92 Loyola Chicago
109 SLU
115 Duquesne
119 GW
127 UMass
139 St Bonnie
143 UR
145 Rhode Island
157 Davidson
165 Lasalle
166 Fordham

As a note, a familiar opponent lands in the last spot:

364 VMI

I got issues with those rankings nearly top to bottom (nearly, as LaSalle and Fordham bringing up the rear is hard to argue against)
Yeah, this is just a ridiculous breakdown. Jack Clark with his 4 pts/4 rebs a game in his 12th year in college is a better transfer than any of the guys we got?? VCU is the best team in the league despite no frontcourt presence and Bamisile taking 30 bad shots a game? Ok, whatever Jon. Stick to posting god-awful catchphrases 50 times a day on Twitter, reviewing shitty restaurants and having no friends.

any idea if Rothstein gets guidance on these lineups?
it's definitely possible ... maybe even likely ... that Roche gets healthy and starts. but I'm holding out hope that Roumoglou, Tanner or even McGlothin looks so good that one beats Roche out for the starting spot.
Obviously he was told Roche beats out White and Glu for that 5th starting spot…

Last edited:
Yeah, this is just a ridiculous breakdown. Jack Clark with his 4 pts/4 rebs a game in his 12th year in college is a better transfer than any of the guys we got?? VCU is the best team in the league despite no frontcourt presence and Bamisile taking 30 bad shots a game? Ok, whatever Jon. Stick to posting god-awful catchphrases 50 times a day on Twitter, reviewing shitty restaurants and having no friends.
Obviously you missed the proper spin on Elite Eight Starter Clark. Wasn’t he the reason they were Elite Eight…😉

Some of his impact transfers:

Justin Moore: 12.4 ppg last year at Drexel. Career 42.2% from 2 and 27.4% from 3. The dude can't shoot.

Jack Clark. 4.7 a game last year for Clemson. VCU is his 4th team.

Derek Simpson. 8.3 ppg at Rutgers last year. 36.5% from 2 and 25.2% from 3 for his career. The dude can't shoot!

Jamarques Lawrence. 6.9 ppg at Nebraska last year. Yawn.

Rafael Castro. 2.9 ppg at Providence last year. 1.8 ppg the year before that. For his career, 16.7% from 3 and 47.5% at the FT line. LOL...but he will be more impactful than any of our transfers...right, Jon?

The consensus is forming and the Spiders are starting out way down in Tier 3.

Preseason Torvik (adjustments were recently made to formula)

53 VCU
58 Dayton
79 St Joes
85 Mason
92 Loyola Chicago
109 SLU
115 Duquesne
119 GW
127 UMass
139 St Bonnie
143 UR
145 Rhode Island
157 Davidson
165 Lasalle
166 Fordham

As a note, a familiar opponent lands in the last spot:

364 VMI
He also predicts minutes for UR as follows:

Hunt 32.8
Beagle 30.8
Neskovic 28
Tyne 27.2
Roche 26
Walz 21.6
White 13.6
GW 11.2
McG 6
Glu 2.8
Soulis 0
Tanner 0
Robinson 0

Edit: record prediction
8-5 OOC
7-11 A10

Last edited:
Post Like A Champion Today

You just had to remind me of that 2009 CBI semifinal loss to UTEP, didn't you...
I actually think my autocorrect was thinking about Charlotte…

And you had to remind me of how long ago I watched that game…

Last edited:
So GW3 starts and plays 11 minutes / game, and White plays 13.6 but is not on the team? Wish we could get a book to set some odds based on JR's numbers.

But I do urge you to remember that we sleep in July :):):):)

Is Torvik really Jon Rothstein? I thought u were Rothstein.

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
What another with vcu as the favorite…& Shulga POY? Nobody could have foreseen this. Maybe a few vcu fans.

Shulga's a pretty good player, but preseason POY has to be either Reynolds or Avila.

looking team by team, the A10 looks really strong to me. LaSalle lost a ton in "free agency", so I'll put them 15th. after that I don't think anyone is bad including Fordham.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Shulga's a pretty good player, but preseason POY has to be either Reynolds or Avila.

looking team by team, the A10 looks really strong to me. LaSalle lost a ton in "free agency", so I'll put them 15th. after that I don't think anyone is bad including Fordham.

I’d lean to those 2 as well personally. But Shulga will be a consensus all a10 1st teamer. He’s a legit POY candidate and vcu has better team prospects which usually helps a bit so it’s not a surprising pick.

They are ranking us low because we lost a high percent of our points from last year and they are under estimating the talent on the team. They are also, guessing on the starting lineup. Our only guaranteed starter is Hunt, who has supposedly improved his play to a higher level. All the other positions have significant competition and some of the guys off the bench might get almost as much playing time as the starters.

the ranking doesn't shock me as we do lose a lot (King, Quinn, Bailey, Bigelow). if Rothstein doesn't have any of our transfers in his top 15 in the league, then he's going to project a drop off.

we may have as many as 4 transfers starting. I personally think we have some really high impact transfers. should be a fun team to watch.

We got a guy from Michigan who was a top-100 high school recruit, a forward from UConn, and three proven D1 double-digit scorers and it doesn't register on his scale. But hey, the seagull center is life-altering!

We got a guy from Michigan who was a top-100 high school recruit, a forward from UConn, and three proven D1 double-digit scorers and it doesn't register on his scale. But hey, the seagull center is life-altering!
Hopefully, Mooney has this up at the Robins Center bulletin board. What a frickin joke? Remind what place were picked last year as well. I think it was 11th. Oh the irony. All this tells me is Rothstein spends more time on his Twitter obsession than he does on his actual team analysis.

no disrespect to the guys who graduated. King is an all-time talent. the others were very good too.
but I'm excited about who we have. won't know for a while ... but there's a real possibility we're better.

Rothstein maybe could arguably be labeled a vcu fan. But vcu is a fav or easily 1 of them to everyone in A10 bball circles. I tried to warn u guys oh well. or I'm jon rothstein.

re: Spiders ranking we get little respect for being 1 of the top programs in the entire NATION and having a 20 year dean of A10 coaches.

A
no disrespect to the guys who graduated. King is an all-time talent. the others were very good too.
but I'm excited about who we have. won't know for a while ... but there's a real possibility we're better.
Agree we could be better.....but two big question marks in team chemistry and defensive ability. Dji was a guy that didn't need shots. While it's nice to potentially have 5 scorers on the floor at once, their is only one ball. Will be up to Mooney to sell guys on doing the dirty work. Think we had some guys that had that mentality to start with last year. Can't wait to see what the new guys can do.

the ranking doesn't shock me as we do lose a lot (King, Quinn, Bailey, Bigelow). if Rothstein doesn't have any of our transfers in his top 15 in the league, then he's going to project a drop off.

we may have as many as 4 transfers starting. I personally think we have some really high impact transfers. should be a fun team to watch.

I think it is a low probability we will have 4 transfers start. Although we have a terrific portal transfer group, Tanner, Waltz and Tyne have all improved in the off season and all three are in the running to start at their position. There is a good chance that one of them will start.

I think it is a low probability we will have 4 transfers start. Although we have a terrific portal transfer group, Tanner, Waltz and Tyne have all improved in the off season and all three are in the running to start at their position. There is a good chance that one of them will start.
4 is probably a long shot. just saying it's possible.
definitely feels like more starting spots are up for grabs than usual.

Just looking at UR ranking, especially with what Mooney and company accomplished last year with all the new pieces - I argue UR being 11th in the pre-season. NOW - we may look like the 11th best team early in OOC play, but I think as the season goes on - similar to last year, they pick up their roles and come A10 time - I hope for similar result to last year and would think UR is a top 4 team.

But given the success of UR last year with all the new pieces, and fact we picked up a Michigan and UCONN transfer - I would have thought a pre-season pick of 4-6 in the A10 would be warranted. But also - is this a year where internally our expectations are high, and we don't meet them. I feel like UR and Mooney do best when the expectations are low, so maybe this is exactly what they need.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
meaningless. co-champs UR and Loyola-Chicago were predicted 10th & 12th in the A10 last year in Blue Ribbon.
It doesn’t impact the final standings as you have to play the games. What it does do is show you the likelihood of getting an at-large bid as where you start in the rankings definitely matters.

I am not a Rothstein fan, but I agree that the A10 is most likely a 2 bid league and there are 5 teams ahead of Richmond before the season starts who are getting the majority of the pub. He also mentions the OOC and it seems that UR’s schedule is not on anyone’s radar. A high mountain to climb.

However, as I always say the goal for UR is to win the A10 tournament and I sure feel like the Spiders have as good a shot as anyone else. It is a balanced league and I am looking forward to the games. Go Spiders!

Reactions: mojo-spider
... and fact we picked up a Michigan and UCONN transfer ...
funny, but GW3 and Glou are the 2 incoming transfers I'm LEAST sure about.
they may have the highest upside based on pedigree, but I feel like we KNOW we'll get production from Beagle, White, and Neskovic while GW3 and Aposolos are the wildcards.

It doesn’t impact the final standings as you have to play the games. What it does do is show you the likelihood of getting an at-large bid as where you start in the rankings definitely matters.

I am not a Rothstein fan, but I agree that the A10 is most likely a 2 bid league and there are 5 teams ahead of Richmond before the season starts who are getting the majority of the pub. He also mentions the OOC and it seems that UR’s schedule is not on anyone’s radar. A high mountain to climb.

However, as I always say the goal for UR is to win the A10 tournament and I sure feel like the Spiders have as good a shot as anyone else. It is a balanced league and I am looking forward to the games. Go Spiders!
Where you start in the rankings does not matter at all. I don't think the committee is sitting around in March checking on where Jon freaking Rothstein or Bart freaking Torvik picked teams in the pre season.

Reactions: spiderman
Just looking at UR ranking, especially with what Mooney and company accomplished last year with all the new pieces - I argue UR being 11th in the pre-season. NOW - we may look like the 11th best team early in OOC play, but I think as the season goes on - similar to last year, they pick up their roles and come A10 time - I hope for similar result to last year and would think UR is a top 4 team.

But given the success of UR last year with all the new pieces, and fact we picked up a Michigan and UCONN transfer - I would have thought a pre-season pick of 4-6 in the A10 would be warranted. But also - is this a year where internally our expectations are high, and we don't meet them. I feel like UR and Mooney do best when the expectations are low, so maybe this is exactly what they need.

With our previous year results & having a 20 year coach, and if we r 1 of the top programs in the nation, any other team is picked much much higher. So there’s a disconnect somewhere.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Where you start in the rankings does not matter at all. I don't think the committee is sitting around in March checking on where Jon freaking Rothstein or Bart freaking Torvik picked teams in the pre season.

I agree. Maybe Native can expand on what he meant. I think sometimes if u r ranked pretty high in top 25 early or another point in season & then fall u can get still get benefit of over inflated seed or get more consideration if on bubble. Just bc you’ve had that impression to committee. Not right but they’re human. However that is a power 5 deal doesn’t affect mids or high mids the same.

Also I imagine very few teams r picked that low preseason & get at large. Going by official preseason poll not a Rothstein etc. while there have to be exceptions if anyone charted that historically I bet still rare. I expect there is some correlation to at large bids i.e. lower u r picked the odds get steeper. Those teams r less likely to be in the at large pool due to performance. Speculating but feels logical. Maybe Native was going there. But if we r exception & perform yeah what predictions said r meaningless.

I’d love to see Tanner be in starting mix & like the optimism for him but to me still seems most improbable. Not impossible players take leaps but that’s a huge 1 considering he played 24 mins total last year & arguably last scholarship player off bench. We lost of PT so he at least has the opportunity going for him.

4 is probably a long shot. just saying it's possible.
definitely feels like more starting spots are up for grabs than usual.
I would argue that if we're to be as good as we hope, that we'll need to start AT LEAST 4 of the transfers. I think that D Lo will be the captain and therefore probably start, but I don't think he'll end up in the top 4 minutes played...maybe not in the top 5.
Who starts is irrelevant. I think/hope both Tyne and White get a lot of the PG minutes. I like D Lo but hope we'll be better with him getting less than starters minutes.
I can even see all 5 transfers being our best 5 this year.

Hunt should and will probably lead us in mpg this year.
I expect Hunt and GW III to play major minutes. Mooney loves to ride the guards, and I think we got two good ones here - so I would expect them to both be 30-32+ a night in minutes. Which means - Roche will be very limited.

What is a little surprising to me is Roumoglou. Having not seen him play much, but just thinking - been at UCONN, played in Greece, etc - I would think he starts and makes an immediate impact. But I think most of these pre-season reviews have him off the bench.

Hunt should and will probably lead us in mpg this year.
if I had to bet on anyone it would be Hunt.
but if we stay healthy I really think 4 guards will play a good amount. it would be unusual for Mooney, but with these 4 talented guys I'd like all under 30 mpg.

I don't think Mooney considers Roche a guard. he'll compete with Tanner, Glou, etc on the wing.
I assume Neskovic locks down the 4.
with Beagle vs Walz at the 5.

if I had to bet on anyone it would be Hunt.
but if we stay healthy I really think 4 guards will play a good amount. it would be unusual for Mooney, but with these 4 talented guys I'd like all under 30 mpg.

I don't think Mooney considers Roche a guard. he'll compete with Tanner, Glou, etc on the wing.
I assume Neskovic locks down the 4.
with Beagle vs Walz at the 5.

I definitely expect Hunt to start but I have thought it could be better to use him as 6th man. If GW3 is a starter which is big assumption. I just think any combo of White/Tyne/Hunt starting backcourt is too small. Bring that energy and D off bench while still getting "starter" minutes. He had a nice season last year for sure. my concern is he reverts back to his shooting splits from Wagner, if we're running things through him more on O. Last year he could be the 3rd/4th guy. He was better shooting last year & he'll need to keep up. His eFG% improved but historically below average. I think Tyne has higher ceiling for us. Now Tyne eFG% is even worse so that needs to change too, but he was also a freshman.

I agree Roche is not considered a guard by Moon. Tho also not a forward (positionless basketball). I would love for 1 of the freshman wings to be an immediate starter, we haven't really had a frosh have a big big role out of the gates since I think Gilly. It would mean they're really good too. Not expecting that either with our possible depth. Overall lot of unknown.

Reactions: spiderman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT