ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

We’re projected 8th in this rankings. I think we’ll exceed that this year even with the A10 increasing in quality top to bottom. Interesting that he says Hunt is the go-to scorer. I like Hunt’s game a lot and he does a ton for us offensively and defensively, I just don’t think he’s a go-to scorer. I think of King, Gilly, Kendall Anthony, SDJ, Kevin Anderson, as go-to scorers as point guards. I think Hunt will play well and can help facilitate the offense at the 2. I think White can potentially be a starter for us. He was the last transfer we brought in, knowing we have Tyne, Hunt, GW3 who could play the point or 2. So the fact we brought him in as a graduate transfer with all the other guards, makes me think we are hoping he becomes more of a day 1 starter. Though that has to be proven in practice.

I could see Hunt leading us in scoring. He averaged just under 10 last year, and I think he deferred to King a lot, especially when King was on those heaters. Hunt will play a lot of minutes, and will have the ball in his hands a lot. He can shoot and he can get to the basket. Time will tell with how the new guys do, but I definitely look for Hunt to increase his scoring, and could see us having a balanced scoring attack with Hunt at the top.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Notice Davidson is picked 13th. They finished 13th last year, and if they do finish toward the bottom again, could become irrelevant for a long time.

Notice Davidson is picked 13th. They finished 13th last year, and if they do finish toward the bottom again, could become irrelevant for a long time.
pretty tough conference if a team returning Durkin, Bailey and Kochera is projected 13th.

R these guys vcu fans? 3rd & labeled as 1 of 2 w highest ceiling. And best backcourt as I said. Guards game. When I pick them I’m crowning them and a vcu fan lol. But we should also be higher imo. Fwiw I don’t see Hunt as our go to scorer either. I expect him to average what he roughly has in career at Richmond & Wagner.

Good link. Not worth putting any stock in the rankings, but I like getting to know what else happened within the league. Definitely shows how much nearly all teams have changed. It also makes one appreciate what the UR staff, and I assume the collective, have been able to do in the new frontier of D1 basketball. Compare UR’s level of activity to Davidson for example. I think the board would be on fire if UR in the same state as that program.

agreed. not 100% sure who will lead us in scoring this season but I doubt it's Hunt. guess I'd go with Neskovic 1st and White 2nd.
Hunt had some good scoring games and showed he's a capable scorer. I'd say it's hard to project transfers as leading scorers for us this coming season without having seen them play for us. Videos & stat sheets are good starting points, but I'll wait until I see them at the RC on our court.

Last edited:
I was not a big fan of the nepotism hire at Davidson.
I thought it was decent enough, he coached under his dad for what 15 years and I figured he would have as much as access to his dad as he wanted to help ease the transition. Some people got the juice and some people just don't and he might be the latter. Unfortunately for him he probably won't have a 20 year contract to prove it one way or another.

Those rankings are pretty strange. He explains why we have a good chance to compete for the title, then picks us eighth. He explains why vcu has a lot of question marks in the front court, then picks them third. Putting your eggs in the Bamisile basket is a hit-or-miss proposition. They have a nice enough back court, but it's not the best in the league by any stretch. I think we may end up having the deepest back court in the league.

St. Joe's probably has the best back court right now, with Reynolds and Brown, and I'd put Duquesne, Loyola, SLU and maybe even Mason ahead of vcu too.

Those rankings are pretty strange. He explains why we have a good chance to compete for the title, then picks us eighth. He explains why vcu has a lot of question marks in the front court, then picks them third. Putting your eggs in the Bamisile basket is a hit-or-miss proposition. They have a nice enough back court, but it's not the best in the league by any stretch. I think we may end up having the deepest back court in the league.

St. Joe's probably has the best back court right now, with Reynolds and Brown, and I'd put Duquesne, Loyola, SLU and maybe even Mason ahead of vcu too.
I didn't bother to read the Lambs writeup, but I think this statement about the Spiders is pretty fair: "the Spiders’ drop-off from the top shouldn’t be too far and could easily surprise again."

I mean, while I am thrilled with the Portal additions and recruiting overall, we did lose four starters. So, objectively, this being another "new" team in a sense (thanks, Portal era), I think that statement is pretty much accurate. The actual "rankings" are totally arbitrary, but that's the nature of preseason predictions.

8th is a hell of a low spot considering Mooney says "we've been able to keep Richmond as one of the top basketball programs in the nation"

if we continue to be a top program in the nation nobody is picking us 8th in the mediocre A10. Nobody.

Some good points here. On paper, this transfer class looks to be much more accomplished, and the guys that are not accomplished were highly thought of recruits that have not had a chance to show their game at this level yet.

Last years team however had great chemistry from day one. And Bigelow came back improved and ready to score and Dji took the next step. And those two played defense and were not afraid to go fight for a rebound. Do we have dem "DAWGS" in this crew?? Will they be able to sacrifice shots and glory for the good of the team? It is really a crapshoot each season now - BUT we bring back our leader in Hunt, and have a stellar recruiting and transfer class - on paper or in my mind anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT