ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

I’m excited to see how next year is going to pan out. I think we did a good job of reloading this offseason. I’m also glad we didn’t just focus on bringing in recruits who have done well at lower leagues, but also recruits who were more highly touted in high school, but for whatever reason didn’t get a chance to showcase their talents at a P6 school.

I think there’s 2 certain starters. White as the primary ball handler at the 1 and Nescovic at the 4. We brought in White after having Hunt, Tyne, and GW3 so I’m sure it’s with the intention of him replicating King’s role last season. We might get creative and have Soulis or Beagle at the 4, but their primary position is at the 5. I say Walz gets the nod over Beagle to start for now given more experience with Mooney’s system but expect about equal playing time, if not more for Beagle by the end of the season. The other guard will likely be Hunt to start, but I can see a case for GW3 if he really shines in this system and Hunt becomes more of a 6th man who can play either the 1 or 2 depending on the situation. The biggest mystery is who plays the 3. I can see Roche, GW3 if we go small ball, Apostolos (though likely backing up the 4) or Robinson. Will be exciting to see how it plays out in practice.

My anticipated starters as of today:

1 - White
2 - Hunt
3 - Roche
4 - Nescovic
5 - Walz
I think Roche's opportunity has come and gone. And I think Hunt gets the nod early but will be sharing alot of the time with GWIII and Tyne. GWIII will get on court alot at 2 and 3 but probably won't start. Same with Walz / Beagle...50/50 early but Beagle with majority of minutes later in season

Starters first game:
1. White
2. Hunt/Tyne/GWIII
3. Apostolos/GW III
4. Nescovic/Apotolos
5. Walz/Beagle

There's an 8 man rotation there. Mooney will probably try to work Tanner and the freshman in when possible.

Reactions: spiderman
Good stuff 17. I like Roche and think he can sneak in and have a really good season - IF healthy. Issue with penciling him in as a starter is he missed all last off season, and we saw that impacted him in games. Now he is injured again, and as far as I can tell from anything published, will miss all summer into the fall. I think that will put him behind others to start the season. My guess at the three is Apostolos, even though have little to back that up with.

Reactions: spiderman
Starters first game:
1. White
2. Hunt/Tyne/GWIII
3. Apostolos/GW III
4. Nescovic/Apotolos
5. Walz/Beagle

There's an 8 man rotation there. Mooney will probably try to work Tanner and the freshman in when possible.
I agree that these are the top 8 sight unseen. Roche is on the outside looking in as there is plenty of doubt about his health and I can’t imagine him jumping into a starting role coming off his injury and never having started before.

Feel like Walz has the advantage over Beagle and will get more minutes early in the season unless he gets into foul trouble, but likely 60/40 split.

I like all the potential of each individual player, but the question is how the players mesh. Hopefully they can find some glue since it is basically a start from ground zero year. I expect to see the usual experimentation in the OOC and then the rotation tightening up when conference play begins.

Starters first game:
1. White
2. Hunt/Tyne/GWIII
3. Apostolos/GW III
4. Nescovic/Apotolos
5. Walz/Beagle

Good stuff 17. I like Roche and think he can sneak in and have a really good season - IF healthy. Issue with penciling him in as a starter is he missed all last off season, and we saw that impacted him in games. Now he is injured again, and as far as I can tell from anything published, will miss all summer into the fall. I think that will put him behind others to start the season. My guess at the three is Apostolos, even though have little to back that up with

Good point, 23. Roche hasn't really been able to produce start level minutes since being here and his injury has definitely played a role in that. Wishful thinking of mine is that Apostolos really shines and we can fit him at the 3 like LongTimeSpiderFan suggested. I don't think going small ball with a lineup of White, Hunt, & Tyne will be best for us.

The biggest wildcards for us will be GW3 and Apostolos. While White may not put up Jordan King numbers, I think he'll play his role of being able to put up double figures if needed, create his own shot, and facilitate the offense. Nescovic and Beagle will be solid for us, but I don't think will produce at the same level as they did with their former team. If we can put 5 out on the floor that one could get 15+ points on a given night, that balanced scoring will spread the floor really well for us and make it tough for opponents to scout us.

Beagele was a priority recruit. we had him in very early. I think he's starting and will be very good.
Neskovic looks like a very confident offensive player. I think he'll be a go to guy who will lead the team in scoring.

Reactions: MDspider8
BIG LINEUP:
McGlothin
Neskovic
Beagle
Walz
Soulis

SMALL LINEUP
Tyne
White
Hunt
GWIII
Roche

NAME LINEUP
GWIII
Neskovic
Soulis
Roumoglou
Beagle

FOREIGN/ANIMAL LINEUP
Tyne
Neskovic
Soulis
Roumoglou
Beagle

YOUNG LINEUP
Tyne
Mooney
McGlothin
Tanner
Robinson

OLD LINEUP
White
Hunt
Roche
Neskovic
Walz

BIG LINEUP:
McGlothin
Neskovic
Beagle
Walz
Soulis

SMALL LINEUP
Tyne
White
Hunt
GWIII
Roche

NAME LINEUP
GWIII
Neskovic
Soulis
Roumoglou
Beagle

FOREIGN/ANIMAL LINEUP
Tyne
Neskovic
Soulis
Roumoglou
Beagle

YOUNG LINEUP
Tyne
Mooney
McGlothin
Tanner
Robinson

OLD LINEUP
White
Hunt
Roche
Neskovic
Walz
80-51 over VMI at 3 minute mark lineup

Kirby Mooney
Liam Weaver
Jack Graham
Ryan Soulis
Tanner / Robinson / McGlothin (whomever hasn't entered normal rotation)

• Haha
BIG LINEUP:
McGlothin
Neskovic
Beagle
Walz
Soulis

SMALL LINEUP
Tyne
White
Hunt
GWIII
Roche

NAME LINEUP
GWIII
Neskovic
Soulis
Roumoglou
Beagle

FOREIGN/ANIMAL LINEUP
Tyne
Neskovic
Soulis
Roumoglou
Beagle

YOUNG LINEUP
Tyne
Mooney
McGlothin
Tanner
Robinson

OLD LINEUP
White
Hunt
Roche
Neskovic
Walz

needs more lineup

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
I’m excited to see how next year is going to pan out. I think we did a good job of reloading this offseason. I’m also glad we didn’t just focus on bringing in recruits who have done well at lower leagues, but also recruits who were more highly touted in high school, but for whatever reason didn’t get a chance to showcase their talents at a P6 school.

I think there’s 2 certain starters. White as the primary ball handler at the 1 and Nescovic at the 4. We brought in White after having Hunt, Tyne, and GW3 so I’m sure it’s with the intention of him replicating King’s role last season. We might get creative and have Soulis or Beagle at the 4, but their primary position is at the 5. I say Walz gets the nod over Beagle to start for now given more experience with Mooney’s system but expect about equal playing time, if not more for Beagle by the end of the season. The other guard will likely be Hunt to start, but I can see a case for GW3 if he really shines in this system and Hunt becomes more of a 6th man who can play either the 1 or 2 depending on the situation. The biggest mystery is who plays the 3. I can see Roche, GW3 if we go small ball, Apostolos (though likely backing up the 4) or Robinson. Will be exciting to see how it plays out in practice.

My anticipated starters as of today:

1 - White
2 - Hunt
3 - Roche
4 - Nescovic
5 - Walz
There is no way Walz starts over Beagle. Beagle averaged 9.5 rebounds last year. Don’t care that it’s a lesser DI conference. I guarantee that he didn’t come here with the idea that he’d be backing up a guy who averaged 2.8 points and 2.5 rebounds. Yes, I know he was a back up, but if he showed enough talent they would have had him on the court more with Quinn. Walz is a solid back up, but now people are projecting him to develop a reliable 3 point game and guard forwards. Not happening. Let him be the 6th or 7th man and be happy with that.

Walz showed me big improvement year over year, as well as toughness that was badly needed. With more reps and more confidence, I can see him making a nice jump. Whether that is as a starter or a backup remains to be seen, but I'm not counting him out. I was very, very low on his prospects going into this year, but he played his role well and really improved. Based on that, I can hope for more real improvement.

Beagle's number do look good, I'll admit. It's a good issue to have two guys like this with real size both on the same timetable (Quinn and Walz were not) and I hope that means little dropoff regardless who is in the game.

EDIT - just watched the Beagle portal video, which includes a Weaknesses section. The weakness highlighted was a 22% turnover rate. Will need to cut that down, Moon will never allow that.

Last edited:
There is no way Walz starts over Beagle. Beagle averaged 9.5 rebounds last year. Don’t care that it’s a lesser DI conference. I guarantee that he didn’t come here with the idea that he’d be backing up a guy who averaged 2.8 points and 2.5 rebounds. Yes, I know he was a back up, but if he showed enough talent they would have had him on the court more with Quinn. Walz is a solid back up, but now people are projecting him to develop a reliable 3 point game and guard forwards. Not happening. Let him be the 6th or 7th man and be happy with that.
Walz had ~2x the assist rate and ~4x the block rate of Beagle. They have similar offensive efficiency numbers and usage rates, essentially the same offensive rebounding rates, but Beagle beat out Walz in defensive rebounding rate (25% vs 16%). Beagle played around twice as many minutes per game.

It will be interesting to see how minutes play out at center next year. If we need a point-center I think Walz may have an advantage.

Last edited:

Beagele was a priority recruit. we had him in very early. I think he's starting and will be very good.
Neskovic looks like a very confident offensive player. I think he'll be a go to guy who will lead the team in scoring.

You bring up good point PA that spiderman also mentions as well. Beagle was certainly a priority recruit for us as there weren't really any other big men we were contacting on the transfer portal. Plus, a quality big man tends to be more sought after in the portal, so we likely put a lot of emphasis on getting Beagle, which means we will expect big minutes from him.

We realistically could have a starting 5 of all players we recruited this year:

1 - White
2 - GW3
3 - Apostolos
4 - Nescovic
5 - Beagle

However, I find it hard to believe that Mooney won't have 1 or 2 players who know the system well from this past year, not be in the starting rotation. For me the 2 most likely returning players to start are Hunt and Walz. Perhaps what Walz lacks in scoring ability, he can make up on the defensive end and rebounding. If White, GW3, and Nescovic play up to their potential, then scoring won't be an issue for us. Defense is what really stepped up this past year and that's what we will need again to finish at the top of the A10.

Walz had ~2x the assist rate and ~4x the block rate of Beagle. They have similar offensive efficiency numbers and usage rates, essentially the same offensive rebounding rates, but Beagle beat out Walz in defensive rebounding rate (25% vs 16%). Beagle played around twice as many minutes per game.

It will be interesting to see how minutes play out at center next year. If we need a point-center I think Walz may have an advantage.
Walz averaged 11 minutes a game and played more against second lines. Apples to oranges if you’re trying to compare rates that way.

that's more a product of our offense than anything.
Walz wasn't the passer that Quinn was.
we'll see how Beagle adjusts to our system.
Same could be said for Beagles offensive stats as well. Albany was a top 10 tempo team, which really boosted his raw numbers.

Same could be said for Beagles offensive stats as well. Albany was a top 10 tempo team, which really boosted his raw numbers.
just pointing out that looking at assist rates in comparing Beagle and Walz tells a very skewed picture. our starting center had 44 more assists than our PG last year. any UR center will have assists.

I don't know enough about Albany basketball to say if Beagle had a rebounding advantage over most every center in the country based on his coaches rebounding philosophy, but his team only averaged 3 more rpg than UR did, yet he secured a boatload of them.

I liked how Walz sees the court. He has the advantage of being in an offense that the big man thinks pass and handles the ball. Doubt Albany used big men like that but who knows. Will be a learning curve fir Beagle vs Walz has been living it for 2 years.

Reactions: urfan1
Don’t discount the CM Loyalty Factor. Walz has been here, returning player, stepped up his game, and my gut says Mooney rewards that. Maybe not but a good situation to have 2 big guys that seem capable. Keep in mind that we know exactly what to expect/project of Walz. With Beagle it’s stats and video that people are stating their opinions on him. Both he and Walz should get plenty of minutes.

I really like what the Spiders did this offseason. Neskovic, Beagle and B.Artis are proven, experienced players. GW3 and Apostolos have upside and come from high profile programs. I also like that three of the five have multiple years of eligibility.

With that said the gap I see is someone who can replace Dji's skillet. A 6-5/6-6 wing who can play defense, rebound and penetrate/create their own shot. This is where I'm excited that our younger players emerge - Tanner, McGlothin, Robinson.

It's rare for a freshman to come in playing top-level defense, so in that regard, I'd say we're more likely to find that in one of the transfers.

Good post 95. And I concur on your concern. I think we lost defensive presence and toughness and rebounding with Dji, Bigelow and Harris. Seems we may have a better skilled offensive team. Hoping that will offset what we lose on defense.

We had our last Spider Collective Zoom call with Chris Mooney Thursday. He was very open in his discussions about the team and players. Most of what he said I will keep confidential, however the high level view is that this is a very strong team with intense competition to start at 4 of the 5 positions. There is a very high probability Hunt starts. He is the leader of the team and an outstanding guard.

He reviewed and showed films of each of the players added from the portal and they are an extremely impressive group. He also said very positive things about a few of the players that were recruited out of high school over the past 2 years, with at least one competing for a starting position.

Based on prior history I expect more returning to UR players to start the season. As the new guys get acclimated/learn to play our style of basketball and earn the coaches' trust, that will likely change.

I have it under good authority that you could make a killing selling the yet to be seen " Apostolos Tapes" on the dark webs.
The coaching staff based on their connections have a lot of great non NCAA game tape of him playing, which allowed them to evaluate his skills. One of the benefits of Mooney is that he has strong relationships with a lot of coaches.

Last edited:
My starters:

1. White
2. Hunt
3. GW3
4. Neskovic
5. Beagle

To me 4 of the 5 are pretty solid (White, Hunt, Neskovic and Beagle). All of these guys are proven D! high level starters. I pegged the other slight for GW3 based largely on his pedigree but I think Apostolos and McGothin could just as easily win that in a sure to be open competition.

If Roche ends up starting at the 3, that would not be a good sign. Roche has a skill set and a role on this team but his limitations (foot speed, low end athletic ability, only can score from 3) make him best suited for a reserve role if we seek to contend for an A-10 title this year.

Walz will be an important bench piece as well.

If Tanner is as good/smooth a shooter as we think he is, I can see him battling for a starting spot. His defense remains an unknown.

Agree that this team seems to have a very high offensive ceiling. Open the gates and let them run. Throw waves of scorers out there nonstop.
Tanner is playing very well in Spring practice. I expect him to be part of the rotation.

I hate to ask this because someone will say something negative, but…

Do we have any players that we would be upset if they played at least 10 minutes a game if not injured?

Last edited:
That would be great if Tanner earns big minutes.
While I would be very excited for either Tanner or McGlothin or whoever can earn the starting spot at the wing - I feel like the best scenario might be Apostolos being the main guy. In this scenario, he is most like a top 100 hs player that was very good. Just happened to be playing behind guys that were some of the best in the country at his position. Also, two seasons of practicing under Hurley and vs great players would have him up to speed defensively and battle tested - as much as possible in relation to the other options.

Tanner is playing very well in Spring practice. I expect him to be part of the rotation.

who are most likely candidates to not make the top 10 rotation in your opinion UR80s? Even tho Moon will utimately shrink that I think u need at least 10 with injuries etc. and its great if 13 r legitimately fighting for the 10. I wouldn't say the spring or summer practice is always a great indicator either - we've had reports from Moon or others -on Dji, Noyes, Duinker...that really didn't turn out.

I would have Tanner in my bottom 3. Mainly bc he was behind Noyes last year, maybe only ahead of T Smith on entire roster. Soulis there too only bc unknown and a couple established guys in Beagle & Walz ahead. Last one Robinson bc it's very likely at least 1 of the 2 frosh are there, maybe it's McGlothin. But I'll go Robinson.

This is not to minimize anyone, but 3 guys will be there. I don't care who is in the top 10 myself, so if I'm wrong great for any of those 3. I'm confident there will be a surprise, at least 1 good and bad as far as PT.

who are most likely candidates to not make the top 10 rotation in your opinion UR80s? Even tho Moon will utimately shrink that I think u need at least 10 with injuries etc. and its great if 13 r legitimately fighting for the 10. I wouldn't say the spring or summer practice is always a great indicator either - we've had reports from Moon or others -on Dji, Noyes, Duinker...that really didn't turn out.

I would have Tanner in my bottom 3. Mainly bc he was behind Noyes last year, maybe only ahead of T Smith on entire roster. Soulis there too only bc unknown and a couple established guys in Beagle & Walz ahead. Last one Robinson bc it's very likely at least 1 of the 2 frosh are there, maybe it's McGlothin. But I'll go Robinson.

This is not to minimize anyone, but 3 guys will be there. I don't care who is in the top 10 myself, so if I'm wrong great for any of those 3. I'm confident there will be a surprise, at least 1 good and bad as far as PT.
I have no idea how big the rotation will be, but we do have a lot of good players and I am not going to comment on who will get the least minutes.

There is a good chance Tanner makes the playing rotation and a very small chance of starting, although this is a very deep talented team and things could change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT