ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

Am I the only one that thinks if we land Funk or similar, Goose and the transfer BOTH start? Burton is currently our starting 4, because we only have one other (Grace) who is proven at the 4/5 slots. Really we need 2 transfer bigs before Burton can spend most of his time at the 3. Unless that happens, Goose and a transfer guard are both starting. And yes I realize Dji, Crabtree, and others may also make claims at the spot at some point.

If we are starting Goose and Funk - that is not a good interior defensive team or rebounding team. I think if we cannot land bigs, and we land funk, and Burton is primarily a 4, we need Dji and Noyes at 3 for defense or rebounding. Really would like to see 2 interior players landed - with Grace/big 1/ big 2 sharing minutes at 4/5 - and Burton remaining at 3 (wing).

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Am I the only one that thinks if we land Funk or similar, Goose and the transfer BOTH start? Burton is currently our starting 4, because we only have one other (Grace) who is proven at the 4/5 slots. Really we need 2 transfer bigs before Burton can spend most of his time at the 3. Unless that happens, Goose and a transfer guard are both starting. And yes I realize Dji, Crabtree, and others may also make claims at the spot at some point.
Might start them both in the beginning, but I predict that Nelson will eventually start and play starter minutes. I see Goose most effective as a "reserve with an important role" anyway.

My gut tells me that Crabtree will start at shooting guard unless they land a portal that beats him out.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Yeah, I don't think we are really saying different things. Mooney's history is that he just defers to the older guys when he has them as options, or he starts the highly touted freshmen when he has no older guys. But this offseason is the first one that he really seems ready to embrace the transfer route and likely bring in at least one or two guys with immediate eligibility and long track records at the D-1 level, so I think it's a little more of an unknown as to how things will look.

I'm not a talent-evaluator, so the staff will have to determine whether the guys it has on the team now are better than the ones it's trying to bring in. It's possible that a lineup of Nelson/Dji/Goose/Burton/Grace/Crabtree/Noyes gets us 70 ppg and we're good to go. Or maybe we need a transfer center and transfer 2 guard to get us there. That's what the staff needs to decide.

And to your point, sure, no one goes to a school expecting to sit for four years, but that's always why some guys from every team usually transfer. Hopefully the best players play because they are the best options and not just because they've been in the program the longest. This is an area where I hope Mooney is evolving. We just need to put the very best team on the court we can every year, and if that means playing 5 freshmen over 5 seniors, then do it.

I do see Nelson as a day 1 starter, for a few reasons. He's a 2x state champion at 2 different schools and 2 different levels; he fits the mold of Kevin Anderson/Kendall Anthony/Jacob Gilyard, and all three of those guys played from day 1; and we have a need there. Will he play 40 mpg right away? I doubt it. More likely, he gets 20-25, Dji gets the rest of those and also splits some time at the 2, which gets him to 20-25 mpg too.

Another possibility is that Mooney knows Goose is gone, which creates more of a need at the 2/3 spot.

If everyone comes back, I could see something like this:
1 - Nelson 25 mpg/Dji 15 mpg
2 - Transfer 20 mpg/Goose 15 mpg/Dji 5 mpg
3 - Crabtree 15 mpg/Goose 15 mpg/Randolph 5 mpg/Noyes 5 mpg
4 - Burton 35 mpg/Someone 5 mpg
5 - Transfer 20 mpg/Grace 20 mpg

I don't know enough about Dread to know if he will see much action this year or not.
I think we are mostly in the same place...look I just love talking basketball with you guys 😃 the last few days have been - me: looks around, students are working...let me see what the guys are saying on the MBs 😂 I'm multi tasking.

I don't think Mooney recruiting transfer SGs shows we have a deficiency at the 2 or that Goose is leaving.
we currently have 3 openings. so we have depth problems all over. he'll get the best 3 players he can, with at least one being big. if the best he can get are backups ... that's not ideal. but it's an unfortunate possibility.

I also don't think Mooney has a predisposition to playing small PGs. I just think the best PGs he's been able to land have been small. and since they're the best, they play. I think the idea was Nelson and Wilson be the long term PGs. Wilson really only got a shot to prove himself at the 2. but since Wilson regressed and now left, that opens the door for Dji to move back to the point ... which as Dad has pointed out is really his most natural position and probably where he's best with the ball in his hands. I think it'll be a great competition between the two, and we're probably in a no lose situation. plus Dji can also play the 2 next to Nelson.

Eight, I think your lineup looks pretty good. I'm starting to think Randolph's more of a 2 than a 3. he's quicker than I expected and has a better handle. I think we land Quinn, and Grace's roll is similar to this past year where he backs up at 5 and plays some 4. I think Burton plays 3 and 4 if we land 2 bigger guys.
Sman I see Marcus as a two as well

I think we are mostly in the same place...look I just love talking basketball with you guys 😃 the last few days have been - me: looks around, students are working...let me see what the guys are saying on the MBs 😂 I'm multi tasking.
Yep, this board is a bit more hard to put away myself working exclusively from home the last two years.

Watching some video of Quinn and Funk, like them both on the offensive side of the ball. Worried about how they would be able to defend the athleticism in the A-10 vs the Patriot League that they were used to.

It has been our defense that has been pretty poor for a while now (and then got miraculously better in the A-10 tournament and against Iowa). So, if I'm Mooney, I'm checking out which guys can defend in our league as well.

The good thing about Quinn, is he is 7 feet tall. I have same concern about both - especially Funk. If he is a 45% shooter from 3, a little less. Sherod had a great career, but unfortunately due to the injuries was really a weak link on D. I am typically a defense first type of message board coach, so I share the same concerns.

With Goose coming back, if Mooney can keep Tyler & Grace along with grabbing Quinn and one of the scoring wings we're talking to in the portal, I'd have to give him a pretty high offseason grade given how much production we're losing from this year.

Reactions: SpiderK
With Goose coming back, if Mooney can keep Tyler & Grace along with grabbing Quinn and one of the scoring wings we're talking to in the portal, I'd have to give him a pretty high offseason grade given how much production we're losing from this year.
Goose and Grace are probably the easiest two wishes on your list. Let’s see how the rest goes.

Might start them both in the beginning, but I predict that Nelson will eventually start and play starter minutes. I see Goose most effective as a "reserve with an important role" anyway.

My gut tells me that Crabtree will start at shooting guard unless they land a portal that beats him out.
I don't know. My gut is that Goose has more than earned a starting role. Mooney has a long history of keeping starters as starters. This year there were 2 exceptions. After Nick's 2 injuries, it was evident he would become an early off the bench, as his starts were not great, and I like NS a lot. Also, Wilson was given ample time to show his value added, and he just didn't produce enough. Bottom line - I think Goose starts regardless of who is on the team next year.

I don't know. My gut is that Goose has more than earned a starting role. Mooney has a long history of keeping starters as starters. This year there were 2 exceptions. After Nick's 2 injuries, it was evident he would become an early off the bench, as his starts were not great, and I like NS a lot. Also, Wilson was given ample time to show his value added, and he just didn't produce enough. Bottom line - I think Goose starts regardless of who is on the team next year.
Goose fit this year's team well in that we had multiple scoring options on offense but needed defense. Who knows what next year's team will look like but I think we will need more scoring out of the 2 guard position than what Goose gave us this year. So, I disagree that Goose starts regardless.

Everyone was so sure that Sherod was our starter at 2 guard this year, which he was, but quickly became apparent that was a bad idea because Sherod couldn't defend. Same will apply with Goose but on the offensive end of things, if we get a guy either via transfer or Dji/Dread/Randolph who shows offensive aptitude superior to Goose.

And if we land one of these guards who averaged 15+ ppg last year, I don't see how that player doesn't get major minutes.

Goose fit this year's team well in that we had multiple scoring options on offense but needed defense. Who knows what next year's team will look like but I think we will need more scoring out of the 2 guard position than what Goose gave us this year. So, I disagree that Goose starts regardless.

Everyone was so sure that Sherod was our starter at 2 guard this year, which he was, but quickly became apparent that was a bad idea because Sherod couldn't defend. Same will apply with Goose but on the offensive end of things, if we get a guy either via transfer or Dji/Dread/Randolph who shows offensive aptitude superior to Goose.

And if we land one of these guards who averaged 15+ ppg last year, I don't see how that player doesn't get major minutes.
One of the few times I'll go on record & say I have faith in Mooney. It's here, and my analytics say as long as Goose is healthy then he's in the starting lineup game 1 next season.

Goose is one of two returning starters from an NCAA team that lost 6 players. He is easily our best defender and will be on year 5. Most people think the team will be worse this year, but somehow Goose is no longer good enough to start on a weaker team? Something has to give here.

Even if we land Quinn and Ethan Wright, I still see Goose in the starting lineup.

Nelson
Wright
Goose
Burton
Quinn

If Goose is healthy but on the bench for our first game, Mooney must have nailed it in the portal AND some younger guys have really stepped up. I would love that, but it isn't realistic.

Reactions: GKiller and VT4700
I think Goose definitely starts next year, and I think he should start. He is athletic, he can drive the ball and finish at the basket, can handle the ball, very good defensively, often takes the opponent's leading scorer completely out of the game, and offensively, he could only do so much as the 5th option. Each year, he has only taken an average of 3-4 shots a game, so I wouldn't worry too much about his scoring average. I would look for him to be more aggressive on offense, and think he can be about a 10 points a game scorer, especially if he can shoot the 3s around 35%. I think it's talent and experience, more than loyalty, that makes this an easy decision to start him.

I think Goose definitely starts next year, and I think he should start. He is athletic, he can drive the ball and finish at the basket, can handle the ball, very good defensively, often takes the opponent's leading scorer completely out of the game, and offensively, he could only do so much as the 5th option. Each year, he has only taken an average of 3-4 shots a game, so I wouldn't worry too much about his scoring average. I would look for him to be more aggressive on offense, and think he can be about a 10 points a game scorer, especially if he can shoot the 3s around 35%. I think it's talent and experience, more than loyalty, that makes this an easy decision to start him.
Great post 22 + 4678

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderK
offensively, he could only do so much as the 5th option. Each year, he has only taken an average of 3-4 shots a game, so I wouldn't worry too much about his scoring average. I would look for him to be more aggressive on offense, and think he can be about a 10 points a game scorer, especially if he can shoot the 3s around 35%. I think it's talent and experience, more than loyalty, that makes this an easy decision to start him.
it's not like he was the 5th option by mandate. he was the 5th option because he was the 5th best scoring option.

I hope you're right that he increases to 10 ppg and shoots 35% from 3. that would be awesome but surprising. we know he'll give us solid D and great effort.

Alright this post gets you 2 beers at Pig Beach. I'm taking 1 away from Spider23.

it's not like he was the 5th option by mandate. he was the 5th option because he was the 5th best scoring option.

I hope you're right that he increases to 10 ppg and shoots 35% from 3. that would be awesome but surprising. we know he'll give us solid D and great effort.
Bad take. Those stats would be the least surprising thing of all next year.

I also don't think Mooney has a predisposition to playing small PGs. I just think the best PGs he's been able to land have been small. and since they're the best, they play.

In fact many will recall Mooney originally wanted tall points. Pretty adamant about it early on. Think his first PG recruit was Brian Morris. Could maybe even argue Butler but I don't think he was ever envisioned as a point.

He did a 180 because KA was a transformational recruit and he figured out that it's harder to get big guards at our level, the real small ones are underrecruited and we've been highly successful with them regularly.

He had to run with Sylla at the point in his first year, so he figured that was what a point guard looked like. ;)

But ya, Morris was a big kid for point. As fate would have it, he only lasted a year before transferring to Towson, so KA was pressed into action as a frosh and the rest is history.

🔒 it in for Goose. I’m going with Dji( I know surprise) Goose, Tyler, Matt & transfer…BIG lineup
with some athleticism. If no Matt maybe transfer fills that spot.

Reactions: VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT