ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think. I am assuming everybody comes back who is eligible, which means we will have 9 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Burton, a potential A10 player of the year,
Goose, terrific defender and solid guard
Grace, who has been playing very well recently
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes

We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers

In addition, we have 3 scholarships for a transferor new recruits which might include a potential starter.

It is going to be exciting to see who our starting 5 will be. This will be a good team with a quality bench.

Last edited:
There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think. I am assuming everybody comes back who is eligible, which means we will have 12 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Sal, I think next year will be his year.
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Wilson, hopefully he fine tunes his game

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Southall
Noyes

In addition, we have 4 scholarships for transfers on new recruits which might include a potential starter.

It is going to be exciting to see who our starting 5 will be. This will be a good team with a quality bench.
I am ready for the big dance next year!! Freshmen work well in the Mooney system.

I don’t think the team is as bad as some may project but your scenario presumes the return of three seniors at least one of whom sounded uncommitted earlier this year and another who has played virtually no meaningful time.

There seems to be decent talent on the roster but people often tend to overestimate “new guy” impact.

The problem is CM has not shown any ability to pull an NCAA worthy performance out of a young/inexperienced group.

So basically another two year experiment. Neat.

Last edited:
I don’t think the team is as bad as some may project but your scenario presumes the return of three seniors at least one of who sounded uncommitted earlier this year and another who has played virtually no meaningful time.

There seems to be decent talent on the roster but people often tend to overestimate “new guy” impact.

The problem is CM has not shown any ability to pull an NCAA worthy performance out of a young/inexperienced group.

So basically another two year experiment. Neat.
Best class ever sitting on the bench.

Tbone is correct...it is only this year that the super seniors don't count toward the limit of 13.

We have one star, two decent players, five guys who've barely seen the floor for one reason or another, and four guys who have never seen it. This should not instill confidence.

Tbone is correct...it is only this year that the super seniors don't count toward the limit of 13.

We have one star, two decent players, five guys who've barely seen the floor for one reason or another, and four guys who have never seen it. This should not instill confidence.
Your second paragraph is just plain fact. I’m in total agreement. We all would love to see something beyond expectations, but we hardly ever seem to even meet minimal expectations.

I have edited my post for the number of scholarships available. With only one to give there might be some team management. For example if one of the redshirts isn't progressing, they might be encourage to transfer to a program they have a better chance at excelling.

I think you are being a little harsh relative to the returning players. Of the 5 you said saw limited minutes, Crabtree, started for Tulane as a freeman year, Wilson had a lot of playing time this year, Dgi played well when he was healthy, Sal, is an unknown, but he has play well in some games while at Richmond.

As far as the rising sophomores, their one year in the program should make them much more productive than a typical freshman.

Last edited:
Ok 80s, I don’t disagree that we have some good talent on the roster for next year, assuming they all return. But tell me this: Why should anyone have any confidence in that team or any other team here coached by Mooney making the NCAAs if the current one can’t?
Only someone who is out of step with reality and sadly that includes Hardt.

Reactions: Eight Legger
80sfan with incorrect information who would have thunk it. & also same guy who predicted the best 2 year stretch in Richmond history including being consistent top 25 this year. If u can get Long Island to concur w you I will bet everything I own on the Under in the w/l total.

You had me at “Sal, I think next year will be his year.”

wait...hold on...is this with or WITHOUT Coach Mooney?? Important distinction. Changes everything.

There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think. I am assuming everybody comes back who is eligible, which means we will have 12 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard

Nelson
Dread
Southall
Noyes

In addition, we have a scholarship for a transferor new recruits which might include a potential starter.

You have a Huge IF in that Rosy prediction. It could just as easily be that none of your top 5 return. Plus how much time do you think the red shirts actuall got to practice, no play, Mooney’s system vs being the opponent.

Reactions: 8legs1dream

Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard

Nelson
Dread
Southall
Noyes

In addition, we have a scholarship for a transferor new recruits which might include a potential starter.

Is this the logic:

A coach who was unsuccessful getting some of best player's in school history (over 15-years) (including the so-called "greatest class of all time") into the NCAA tournament, will lead a group of players whom said coach believes are below the talent level of this year's regulars, to a successful season.

I don't disagree that there is some talent, but, there is NO REASON to believe that Mooney will be successful. He screwed up NCAA teams with the likes of Anthony, Cline, S. Jones, T. Allen, Golden, Gilyard, Francis, Burton, etc. and you want us to believe that he will win with Sal, Wilson, Randolph, Grace, and a bunch of redshirt freshman?

Mooney has demonstrated repeatedly that he doesn't have the ability to get teams with sufficient talent and experience into the NCAA tournament. But, Mooney will work wonders with next season's roster? Barring massive transfers (and not likely then) it isn't going to happen.

Bring in a terrific coach and my optimism goes way up. But, that isn't going to happen either.

Last edited:
I love how you think every random piece of Moon propaganda that pops up in your noggin deserves it's own thread 🤣🤣🤣
LOL I know! I give the guy props the other day for his cheerleading small positive aspect he posted instead of giving more propaganda crap a thread of it's own but back at it again. Unreal!

How about 80's I start one entitled .....
Next year team will be better than expected by the board2

with short but sweet ....
because Mooney will no longer be coaching the Spiders

I tend to agree that next year’s team won’t be terrible. However, I really doubt that Sal is coming back for a 5th year, I expect him to either transfer or just graduate. And nothing against any of our walk ons, but if Southall is considered a possible starter next year that is a serious indictment on our program

Yeah, my brain skipped over the fact that Southall was on the list and Walz was not.

way too many unknowns to think next year could be a strong year, but I'm still looking forward to it. we have some exciting young talent.

Reactions: nathanw19
I tend to agree that next year’s team won’t be terrible. However, I really doubt that Sal is coming back for a 5th year, I expect him to either transfer or just graduate. And nothing against any of our walk ons, but if Southall is considered a possible starter next year that is a serious indictment on our program
You could be right about Sal. I original though the post grads didn't eat up a scholarship, like this year. A lot will depend on what the coach thinks he will add to the team next year. He hasn't has a great year, but I thought he did good job the year before in limited minutes.

Ok to be fair, I truly think Tyler is gone and will leave a vapor trail getting out of here. I don’t see why Sal would come back after the way he has been treated. Wilson too for that matter. I would see us ending up 10-21 at best the next two years.

Ok to be fair, I truly think Tyler is gone and will leave a vapor trail getting out of here. I don’t see why Sal would come back after the way he has been treated. Wilson too for that matter. I would see us ending up 10-21 at best the next two years.
Agreed. Think Tyler is out of here. He will have his pick of the litter in terms of BCS schools. Look for him to go back closer to home (Big East) school where he can play for a team that is surefire NCAA bid getter.

No reason for him to spend his last year here on a rebuild, particularly when his family is lighting up Mooney on social media.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT