ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

Dad, in my admittedly limited eye test time on Dji, I will say that he operates inside very well and unlike any guard I can remember at UR. A unique skill set I would say which I am unused to seeing at UR...really looking forward to him being on the court alot more in whatever capacity that may be.
Thanks for the kind words...I personally think Dji is best as PG but bc of his size and his versatility he can excel as a combo. Him and Jason are legit the only two PGs we have on the team. I think they split the time in the end prob 20/20 depending on the night. Having a legit 6'6 PG is something special. I have said this before but Dji does everything well but needs to find something to be great at. If he can avg this upcoming season 10 ppg 8 ast, 6 rbs we will be ok. He loves to create off the dribble and really is an old school pass first guy, I would say too unselfish even. He must also take care of the ball which I think his size will help with that as well. Let TB, Roche, and Quinn do a bulk of the scoring and we could shake up the A10 this season.

Thanks for the kind words...I personally think Dji is best as PG but bc of his size and his versatility he can excel as a combo. Him and Jason are legit the only two PGs we have on the team. I think they split the time in the end prob 20/20 depending on the night. Having a legit 6'6 PG is something special. I have said this before but Dji does everything well but needs to find something to be great at. If he can avg this upcoming season 10 ppg 8 ast, 6 rbs we will be ok. He loves to create off the dribble and really is an old school pass first guy, I would say too unselfish even. He must also take care of the ball which I think his size will help with that as well. Let TB, Roche, and Quinn do a bulk of the scoring and we could shake up the A10 this season.
Let him find his way as magic did for the Lakers. We have a great team in the makings. I say this as a high school coach with over 18 years of experience

10,8, and 6? That would be amazing. And, you mentioned maybe in 20 minutes? That would be nearly impossible. Jacob averaged 37 minutes a game his career, and gave us 13, 5, and 3. And, THAT was very solid!! I would take that every game from the PG position, meaning both Nelson and Dji combined. Shoot, give me 10, 5, and 3 from that spot, limit the turnovers, and we will win a lot of games. A whole lot of games.

10,8, and 6? That would be amazing. And, you mentioned maybe in 20 minutes? That would be nearly impossible. Jacob averaged 37 minutes a game his career, and gave us 13, 5, and 3. And, THAT was very solid!! I would take that every game from the PG position, meaning both Nelson and Dji combined. Shoot, give me 10, 5, and 3 from that spot, limit the turnovers, and we will win a lot of games. A whole lot of games.
Most def…in 20 would be a lot to ask for sure but if he plays 30 🤷🏼‍♂️…but def agree with your last part. But hey…let’s get him playing first 😀

I don't think our team stye of play lends itself to one guy averaging 8 apg. we don't have one guy dominate the ball like that. but I love guys that pass well and I think we have a team full of them now.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
i have said it once i will say a 1M times...parents of players should not be posting.. You're doing no one any good, especially your son, to appease this board, most of whom know as much about basketball as public health experts know about public health.

i have said it once i will say a 1M times...parents of players should not be posting.. You're doing no one any good, especially your son, to appease this board, most of whom know as much about basketball as public health experts know about public health.
I disagree ... not sure why you felt to post this .. Pretty confident that SpiderDad understands that he is in a different place than I think anyone else on this board. It is his right to post, not post, or "lurk" around if he wishes. I am virtually sure that the majority of the active people on this board deeply hope that SpiderDad's involvement continues far behind the time Dji graduates and either plays some level of pro ball or uses his Richmond Spiders degree as a spring into a successful career as so many of us have done.

Last edited:
Good morning and Congratulations., now you have said it a million and 1 times...You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I'm not up here bashing, I'm up talking about something I care deeply about and observations and X & Os ...If that bothers you, don't respond to my posts just continue be a "LongTimeLurker" No one is up here to appease anyone but if that's what you've gotten out of my posts 🤷‍♂️ I'm not up here with an avatar being an unknown. MBs/Social Media are for that if that is what you like but I don't operate that way. I've been this way my entire life . At the end of the day...God is Good, the sun will still come up, my son will continue to do what he loves, and I will continue to cheer and talk Richmond 🕷️🏀 with those that would like to talk. Pssst....I can take criticism about my son as long as things never get personal...bc you know it comes with the territory of big time sports. Have a blessed day ✊🕷️🏀

I disagree ... not sure why you felt to post this .. Pretty confident that SpiderDad understands that he is in a different place than I think anyone else on this board. It is his right to post, not post, or "lurk" around if he wishes. I am virtually sure that the majority of the active people on this board deeply hope that SpiderDad's involvement continues far behind the time Dji graduates and either plays some level of pro ball or uses his Richmond Spiders degree as a spring into a successful career as so many of us have done.
🙏 ✊

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I don't think our team stye of play lends itself to one guy averaging 8 apg. we don't have one guy dominate the ball like that. but I love guys that pass well and I think we have a team full of them now.
You may be right...that's why I said IF he could...For me I think that would be ideal for Dji or Jason as the lead. I don't think Jason would be in position nab 6 rbs but never the less...let me dream😀

I have never stated a disagreement with any post on this board but I will do it now. I welcome Dad’s comments everyday and think it is great that he shares his knowledge, opinions and thoughts . His comments are well balanced. Dad, I hope to meet you this coming season.

yeah I think you’re wrong on this take. I welcome families of players. Love the human side of the kids out on the floor.

Parents that come on this board to seek or supply analysis is wonderful.

Parents that come on this board to protect their child from any and all criticism are problematic.

Spiderdad75 has been nothing but the first, not the second.

Last edited:
I haven’t posted in years mainly due to my impatience regarding successful posting. I have lurked and have my views. I appreciate Spider Dad 75 being on the board with his thoughts and comments. This past season I attended my first game at the Robins Center since my graduation year ie 1976. Picked the wrong game ie St Joes. Loyalty unaffected. did watch their win at Rhody and followed most of their games on the computer otherwise. Sounds like we reloaded this Spring and here’s wishing for successful scheduling and good health for the team.

I haven’t posted in years mainly due to my impatience regarding successful posting. I have lurked and have my views. I appreciate Spider Dad 75 being on the board with his thoughts and comments. This past season I attended my first game at the Robins Center since my graduation year ie 1976. Picked the wrong game ie St Joes. Loyalty unaffected. did watch their win at Rhody and followed most of their games on the computer otherwise. Sounds like we reloaded this Spring and here’s wishing for successful scheduling and good health for the team.
Hope you are able to join us at a game next season. Stop by Section 9, Row D to say hello. Extremely confident that the outcome will be better than the St. Joe's game.

I understand Lurker's POV. it could go badly of course. not sure as a coach I'd want any players or family posting on a message board.

but Dad's become the MVP of the board and we've had no issues. that's partly because while he is of course admittedly biased, he's also very reasonable. and partly because this board is also very reasonable. and fortunately we don't have a lot of opposing fans spending time here.

Dad, you're insight is greatly valued. thanks for sharing. once a Spider, always a Spider.

I understand Lurker's POV. it could go badly of course. not sure as a coach I'd want any players or family posting on a message board.

but Dad's become the MVP of the board and we've had no issues. that's partly because while he is of course admittedly biased, he's also very reasonable. and partly because this board is also very reasonable. and fortunately we don't have a lot of opposing fans spending time here.

Dad, you're insight is greatly valued. thanks for sharing. once a Spider, always a Spider.
🙏 ✊ Appreciate it. I would understand if I or another parent were raving lunatics and all we did was bash or talk bad about others. Of course everyone is different and handle things differently. I have been lucky enough to be around a lot of high level basketball minds and players. I am constantly learning still. I am a former coach of school and AAU. Now, instead of teaching Dji things he's teaching me about the game. I love that! I think the biggest thing where parents go wrong is they aren't honest with their kids and can't take constructive criticism. I mean no one likes hearing bad things about their child but people will always talk. If you are honest with your child...ex: Dji needs to be more aggressive. This is a real thing, as we have talked about this since he was in HS. If someone here says that, why should I get mad? The only thing parents should really get upset about is personal attacks. It certainly isn't easy hearing things but I know what type of player my child is. If Sman says...Dji needs to work on his ball handling or or he needs to work on his lateral quikness etc...parents shouldn't get upset but again we are all different. I appreciate all the convos up here and since we have been at UR you guys/gals are the only ones I really get to talk basketball with on a regular. 🏀🕷️

SpiderDad is one of the best posters on here. He in informative, gives us a different perspective, and occasionally a bit of inside scoop. Yeah, generally players parents being on the board can be a no go zone, but if you are able to understand the board dynamics and have a good confidence to not take anything too too seriously on here, it can be done. And SpiderDad has shown he can do that, so please don't let our Board "Get off my lawn guy" tell you otherwise.

SpiderDad is one of the best posters on here. He in informative, gives us a different perspective, and occasionally a bit of inside scoop. Yeah, generally players parents being on the board can be a no go zone, but if you are able to understand the board dynamics and have a good confidence to not take anything too too seriously on here, it can be done. And SpiderDad has shown he can do that, so please don't let our Board "Get off my lawn guy" tell you otherwise.

yep. good twitter follow too :)

Dad75, I would take just the 6 rebounds a night and you and I would be hugging!! 😊
I feel ya…We worked out yesterday…well he worked out I rebounded 😂 he’s so ready to play and show fans his ability. Def been shooting it well. I pray for healthy and successful season from him and all our guys. But yeah, 6 rbs would be great right 😀

Was just re-watching some of Dji's AAU/HS highlights. Just hoping he can stay healthy this year and I think he will have a big role. Between injuries and short hook, we have only been able to see a few flashes at UR so far. If he can stay healthy in summer/fall into the season, I think could be a good scorer at this level. If that works out, I think best lineup would be playing with Nelson. If Nelson is as good and ready as we all believe. Roche or Bigelow at other forward spot opposite Burton. Can't remember all the lineups we were throwing out on the other thread, but think something like this could be pretty good for long stretches:

Nelson
Dji
Bigelow
Burton
Quinn/Grace

Roche designated sniper. Goose and Crabtree would definitely have something to say too.

Am hoping Mooney is open to letting guys battle it out pre-season and early season without any penciled in positions.

Was just re-watching some of Dji's AAU/HS highlights. Just hoping he can stay healthy this year and I think he will have a big role. Between injuries and short hook, we have only been able to see a few flashes at UR so far. If he can stay healthy in summer/fall into the season, I think could be a good scorer at this level. If that works out, I think best lineup would be playing with Nelson. If Nelson is as good and ready as we all believe. Roche or Bigelow at other forward spot opposite Burton. Can't remember all the lineups we were throwing out on the other thread, but think something like this could be pretty good for long stretches:

Nelson
Dji
Bigelow
Burton
Quinn/Grace

Roche designated sniper. Goose and Crabtree would definitely have something to say too.

Am hoping Mooney is open to letting guys battle it out pre-season and early season without any penciled in positions.
Yeah I was telling my wife it seems like forever that we’ve seen Dji play basketball. He was like 1 or 2 rbs shy of avg triple double his Sr year so I believe like you do he can score at this level. But you’re right staying healthy is the key! We are going to stay prayed up and believe that he will be good!

I feel ya…We worked out yesterday…well he worked out I rebounded 😂 he’s so ready to play and show fans his ability. Def been shooting it well. I pray for healthy and successful season from him and all our guys. But yeah, 6 rbs would be great right 😀
While I am one of the guys supporting you being here, you need to understand, that if Dji is averaging over 20 minutes and has one bad game, there will be a couple of posters that will mock him, and irritate the rest of the posters here.

If you can handle that, then staying shouldn’t be a problem for you or anyone else.

While I am one of the guys supporting you being here, you need to understand, that if Dji is averaging over 20 minutes and has one bad game, there will be a couple of posters that will mock him, and irritate the rest of the posters here.

If you can handle that, then staying shouldn’t be a problem for you or anyone else.
Hey, these kids are raking in $10 or $20 a week now in NIL money. They are professionals and can take a little criticism. 😂

Oh it’s coming 😂 I know it and I’ll be fine and I know how to hit the ignore button 😀

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderK
Yeah I was telling my wife it seems like forever that we’ve seen Dji play basketball. He was like 1 or 2 rbs shy of avg triple double his Sr year so I believe like you do he can score at this level. But you’re right staying healthy is the key! We are going to stay prayed up and believe that he will be good!
Staying healthy is definitely key for Dji, probably true for Crabtree also. I think Goose deciding to return really puts a dent in available minutes for Dji. I could see Nelson and Dji on the court together, but it will probably be with Goose versus in place of. We will see how it all works out as the season unfolds, but in the beginning especially I expect to see lots of Goose.

Staying healthy is definitely key for Dji, probably true for Crabtree also. I think Goose deciding to return really puts a dent in available minutes for Dji. I could see Nelson and Dji on the court together, but it will probably be with Goose versus in place of. We will see how it all works out as the season unfolds, but in the beginning especially I expect to see lots of Goose.
I’m excited for Dji,Goose and our entire roster 🕷🕷🕷🕷

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT