ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Quinn dramatic improvement

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Last year and during the first two games of the season, a majority of board members wanted Neal to adopt a more aggressive scoring approach. However, he only attempted one shot against VMI and merely four against Siena. Since then, he has had 20 or more points in three out of the last four games, including against Boston College and UNLV, and has been making about 2/3 of his shots. He also ranks 9th in the league in assist to turnovers.

Equally impressive has been his defensive performance, notably as a dominant force under the rim. In previous years, numerous drives to the basket would have resulted in scores, but due to his size, they now often end up as passes to teammates. In the past four games, he has twice blocked four shots, not including the last game where I saw many blocks, although the official statistician credited him with only one.

Not sure about what TJ and Grant taught him over the summer, but whatever it was, it appears to be yielding positive results.

Last edited:
I'll give Mooney some due here. He has talked about wanting Quinn to score more and pass less and that is playing out. Quinn also mentioned working with Boyden. I have been impressed with Quinn's effort to hustle back in transition and block or bother shots. I do think we are capitalizing well on Grant and TJ's success. I think we are in good shape for the future too with Soulis and Walz. Walz is really playing well and progressing right on schedule.

center is a real strength of the team at the moment.

the 2 man game play with King last night really epitomized the improved play from Quinn. After the initial in and out passes, he got it in a 2nd time and immediately made a quick (!!!) dribble move inside which caused King's defender to hedge down, but Quinn made an instant, perfect pass back out for a wide open 3, which King drilled.

He has a really nice drop step move, just has to be able to finish it against athletic defenders with length, and avoid the guards looking for steals as he sets it up. He should dominate against lesser guys all year IMO. He looks good.

King is shooting 52/47/85 splits, on more than 14 FGA per game, which is insanely good, and keeps things open for Quinn. Need Roche, Noyes and Bigs to shoot well from 3 for spacing reasons too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT