ADVERTISEMENT

My Brother

SpiderRick

Graduate Assistant
Oct 11, 2009
I just wanted to give some kudos to my brother Mark Vines who this weekend won the International Tennis Federation Senior World Championship in San Diego. Mark, who is 55, won the title for Men's 55 and over after tearing through a field of over 150 top players (many, like himself were former touring pros) from 35 different countries. He may very well wind up being the #1 men's 55+ tennis player IN THE WORLD when the next rankings come out. Many of you may remember him from his youth as the former Richmond tennis champion (5 times) and Virginia State Open champion (4 times). Mark was All American at SMU and a tour player back in the early 80's, had one tour title (Paris '81) before a rotator cuff injury cut short his career. His is currently the head pro at Oakwood CC in Lynchburg and has played the USTA senior circuit for years, ranked #1 in the U.S. in men's 40+, 45+, and 50+.

Way to go, lil' Bro!!!!

i do remember your bro from when moved back to richmond in the early 80s. great to see he is still out there doing great. boy, where did the time go, he was just a pup and now a senior citizen to some groups like aarp. we are getting old Rick but better...lol

Rick..congrats to your family. That is extrordinary. I hope that you can handle your brother on the golf course or some other sports venue. Keep the sibling rivalry equal. Certainly, you are very proud of him.

T, thanks, I can take him on the golf course, thankfully, although he has two holes-in-one to his credit and I have none. I use to plat some doubles with him years ago, but no longer play against him. The last time I played him in tennis, he beat me 6-2 playing right handed. Mark is a lefthander.

Spinner, it does seem like yesterday when I watched him win his first state open as an eighteen tear old. By the way, Mark lived in Austin for a couple of years maybe 20 years ago, and won the Texas State Open, and said it was one of his favorite titles.

Just thought I would bump this old thread up. Lil Bro will be defending his world title starting March 24th, in Antalya, Turkey. My Big Bro Mike and I are traveling there to support him. I'm excited about 12 days in Turkey with the two bros, we always have a good time together. Maybe I'll check in with the spidernation and update you guys.

Greetings friends from Turkey. Sadly, lil bro didn't repeat as singles champion, losing in the quarterfinals to a Spaniard who eventually won it.The tournament was played on the European standard red clay courts that the Spaniards grow up on, and the Americans never play on. For those of you who know tennis, it's a totally different game. Mark did, however, win the doubles title with partner Wes Cash from Chattanooga and they are ranked #1 in the world in men's 55. They've been playing together now for 2 years and have never lost a match or tournament. So I'm very proud of their accomplishments and we've all had a great time. The tournament is over we're spending few days sightseeing. My expectations weren't too high beforecoming here, but Turkey is an amazing place and are very friendly to Amer
icans.

turkey is fortunate that decades ago, during election time, the generals told the people, if you elect a fundamentalist islamic cleric or person of that ilk, we are taking over, they did not and the generals did not need to follow through with their threat. istanbul is a gem, very unique.

Spinner, you would know about turkey!
happy.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT