ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney will be back - its all in the money

Frankly it's hard for me to believe the Jim didn't have some incentives/expectations in Coach Mooney's contract.....we'll probably never know.

Jim was no idiot, to give someone a million dollars a year for 10 years without reasonable goals etc would be idiotic.

Frankly it's hard for me to believe the Jim didn't have some incentives/expectations in Coach Mooney's contract.....we'll probably never know.

Jim was no idiot, to give someone a million dollars a year for 10 years without reasonable goals etc would be idiotic.

I think he has incentives in his contract. I think he gets extra $$$ for beating VCU, NIT bids and NCAA bids. Obviously, he is not collecting on those incentives.

Concession revenue might actually approach ticket revenue. I know when I take the family to the RC for a game, I pretty much plan to spend at least $25-30 if not more on food and drinks. So fewer butts in RC seats is not just impacting the ticket moneys. ...........

Successful business enterprises know when they have made a mistake that at some point it's better to stem the losses, and move forward with a new endeavor that promises better performance and increased revenues. ..........

And here I was "believing" that the "new endeavor" was beer sales to increase revenue.
Here's a misguided thought of how to raise all the money needed to accomplish every goal....at the next home game against Broad Street allow unlimited beer sales on each purchase... hire at least 50 extra police personnel..................and still rack up exponential financial gains to make up for any shortfalls.....................

Reactions: Eight Legger
I would be shocked to learn that Williford makes over $500k.

EDIT: As of 2017 he was making $236k according to the R-TD.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing
Trust me - he makes more. The RTD also has Bennett at making only 420K. You have to remember as it pertains to state schools and salaries, only a portion of their salary comes from the Tax dollars, which is what RTD gets reported. Money that comes from additional sources - such as Athletic funds, are not counted in this amount. So while he only gets $236 from the school - he probably gets another 200K, maybe even 300K from the private athletic funds.

Ron Sanchez was the top assistant at UVA and left to sign a five-year $650,000 per year contract in Charlotte. So that would likely be enough to get Williford here.

I believe Mooney will be named the next coach of the Phoenix Suns in March. They have a long road to travel and they need a coach who will not rush them.

Reactions: SpiderK
I don't fault Miller for the 10 year deal. It was something that had to be done, and I am sure if you could go back in time on this board to the posts when this deal was announced - I am sure it was almost all positive. Remember at the time - we were trying to keep up with VCU who just gave Shaka a 10 year 1 million plus deal. As well as were trying for once to keep a coach long term rather than lose them to a P5 school following successful NCAA visits. So we thought by finally paying the big $$$ and keeping Mooney we were on the verge of a breakthrough. But it just never happened. Recruiting has never increased and realistically we have only been close 1 year to making the NCAA tourney when we just missed out and got a 1 seed in the NIT.

I don't fault Miller for the 10 year deal. It was something that had to be done, and I am sure if you could go back in time on this board to the posts when this deal was announced - I am sure it was almost all positive. Remember at the time - we were trying to keep up with VCU who just gave Shaka a 10 year 1 million plus deal. As well as were trying for once to keep a coach long term rather than lose them to a P5 school following successful NCAA visits. So we thought by finally paying the big $$$ and keeping Mooney we were on the verge of a breakthrough. But it just never happened. Recruiting has never increased and realistically we have only been close 1 year to making the NCAA tourney when we just missed out and got a 1 seed in the NIT.
Actually, according to VT, we did make the tournament that year -- and we beat Kentucky in the first round!

I didn't like it when it happened and do fault Miller since it obviously had no opt-outs for not winning conference, not going to NCAA, having .500 and losing seasons, etc. No coach should ever be given more than a 5 yr contract. You can simply build in extension opportunities for great performance. What any of us have to do in the real world to be successful.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The issue is not the contract. The issue is the University acting cheap and not willing to buyout the contract. If you are willing to offer this type of deal, which I am sure the school, administration, and probably even the Board has to approve - then in the back of your mind - you have to be willing to pay the price to get out of it. You can't act like you have money to offer the contract, but when its time to get out or fix the situation, you say "we don't have the money".
I feel like UR bought a brand new Bentley, but when it broke down - they just said, sorry - we don't have the money to fix it or pay for the repairs. We just need to wait until we pay off the loan or hopefully the car will keep running and basically fix itself.

All we need is money for the new coach. We're paying Mooney for the next three years, every two weeks, whether he stays or we fire him tomorrow. So clearly we have that money allocated already.

Can we find another $3 million over the next five years for the new guy? That's the real question.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
All we need is money for the new coach. We're paying Mooney for the next three years, every two weeks, whether he stays or we fire him tomorrow. So clearly we have that money allocated already.

Can we find another $3 million over the next five years for the new guy? That's the real question.

So, $600, 000 a year sounds pretty good and the next question they will ask is how many guys can we get through admissions? When told zero, they will say, no thanks, I will look elsewhere.

So, $600, 000 a year sounds pretty good and the next question they will ask is how many guys can we get through admissions? When told zero, they will say, no thanks, I will look elsewhere.

Wait I've been told admissions are no longer a real issue -- is that false?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT