ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Jenkins

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what does this promotion mean other than change in job title and probably a raise? Has someone else moved on? Do his duties change?

Does this really mean anything? And from another point of view - I can see promoting an assistant after we had a good or great year, but we are coming off one of the worse years in the Mooney tenure - and right or wrong - the accountability rests with the coaches. So why again would we be promoting an assistant coach after a 12-20 season.

I just think of a promotion at our day jobs, you usually do something good to warrant it or the company (team) does something good and wants the share the wealth. So did I miss something? Did we just bring in a top 25 recruiting class and I missed it?

Coming off a 12 win season and 7 year postseason hiatus, giving out raises and promotions to your coaching staff seems a bit tone deaf. If your going to do that, perhaps just do it internally and not publicize it so much.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
a promotion for being competitive in games. Don't worry about the record. Just make sure the seats are sold. Oh wait, I see a lot of empty seats I wonder where everyone went. Showing effort and keeping it close is more important. If we lost just show sportmanship afterward.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Coming off a 12 win season and 7 year postseason hiatus, giving out raises and promotions to your coaching staff seems a bit tone deaf. If your going to do that, perhaps just do it internally and not publicize it so much.

97 - I see you and 23 are back to hijacking posts. Why haven't you guys ruined the all time starting 5 yet? Can't figure out a way to blame it on Mooney or haven't heard of any of these guys being mentioned that played before Y2K?

97 - I see you and 23 are back to hijacking posts. Why haven't you guys ruined the all time starting 5 yet? Can't figure out a way to blame it on Mooney or haven't heard of any of these guys being mentioned that played before Y2K?
More personal attacks. I have been on there - the all time 5 thread. In fact I was surprised to see Curtis Blair so under represented.

You trying to stir the pot here again. You stay away then come guns blazing. I will say this, I have been losing interest on here. I did really really wonder why we have two associate head coaches now?

Reactions: PASpider
More personal attacks. I have been on there - the all time 5 thread. In fact I was surprised to see Curtis Blair so under represented.

You trying to stir the pot here again. You stay away then come guns blazing. I will say this, I have been losing interest on here. I did really really wonder why we have two associate head coaches now?

Hahaha - that was an aggressive post! Good call, I'm on the wrong side of things there. Totally agree on Curtis. He would be under strong consideration at the 2 guard. He was a great player. He has a son that goes to Steward here in Richmond, will be in 10th grade. I see him around from time to time and he is a very good guy.

My response was on topic about the Marcus getting a promotion, so I don't think I hijacked the thread. Just pointing out that I don't think anyone on staff is deserving of raises or promotions given the current state of the program right now.

If Mooney and his staff lead us to a great season next year, than I would be all on board with them getting some type of reward for that.

Hahaha - that was an aggressive post! Good call, I'm on the wrong side of things there. Totally agree on Curtis. He would be under strong consideration at the 2 guard. He was a great player. He has a son that goes to Steward here in Richmond, will be in 10th grade. I see him around from time to time and he is a very good guy.
Wow, does his son play hoops or any other sport? Curtis is probably one of the 3 or 4 most athletic players I have seen during my years watching - Kevin Smith and Stapleton come to mind.

Wow, does his son play hoops or any other sport? Curtis is probably one of the 3 or 4 most athletic players I have seen during my years watching - Kevin Smith and Stapleton come to mind.

He plays hoops. You can tell he's a good player but he has these great big hands and feet that he hasn't quite grown into yet. You can tell that when it all comes together there is going to be a leap forward production wise. He's worth keeping an eye on for sure.

Seems the assistant coaches would be promoted if they didn’t lose a kid to Louisville and one to Columbian Gold.

I don’t really get the point of a titular change but I don’t think it matters a bit as their titles are probably meaningless as a practical matter. I also don’t care if he got a raise, he seems like one of our better coaches and I want to keep anyone who can recruit which he seems decent at by others accounts. So good if it helps us improve.

Advertising it probably is also unnecessary but again, the only people who care are at either end of the pro-neg spectrum.

I’m going to promote myself this week to keep pace. Undersecretary to the Side Boss to the Man.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what does this promotion mean other than change in job title and probably a raise? Has someone else moved on? Do his duties change?
As I understand it, an associate head coach is guaranteed a seat on the bench next to the head coach so it looks like Mooney will have both AHCs next to him. It will be interesting to see who gets to sit next to Mooney's right and whisper in his ear since the person to the right of the coach is usually the most senior AHC in rank. If it is Jenkins then he has probably moved ahead of Jones and therefore more influential if Mooney chooses to listen.

Barry Trotz was so upset that one of his assistant coaches was promoted to associate head coach that he won an historic championship, then resigned.

I would like to congratulate Marcus on the promotion, which from everything I have heard, is completely deserved (regardless of our record last season).

The quality of our recruits started to improve significantly at the same time that Marcus joined our program. I don't know if this was CAUSED by Marcus' arrival but the timing suggests it could be directly related. In any case I am very pleased to hear that Marcus is being recognized for his hard work. Nice job coach Jenkins!

Continuity? Do we really want continuity?

Seems like a bunch of hot garbage to me.

Agree, JOC has done a good job lately, but what a load of crap. We need a change, but I don't see it coming any time soon.
I actually don’t know that JOC was suggesting that continuity is good in this case, just that it is the case.

Yep. We want/need continuity. It’s a great time to be a REAL Spider!
Ulla, enlighten us, what is a REAL SPIDER? Is there an official definition on Richmond.edu or the Athletic Department website? Knowing the UR, I suspect there must be a monetary contribution associated with such an elite status. How much was your initiation fee? Do you get a plaque? Who signed yours?

Ulla, enlighten us, what is a REAL SPIDER? Is there an official definition on Richmond.edu or the Athletic Department website? Knowing the UR, I suspect there must be a monetary contribution associated with such an elite status. How much was your initiation fee? Do you get a plaque? Who signed yours?
9, I got my plaque back in the late 60’s and George Modlin signed it. Back then it did not cost nearly as much as it does now. I might mention that on my walk today early in the morning, I passed by the RC and ran into an all time Spider great who was meeting one of our coaches. We chatted a few minutes and he told me how much he thought of our coaches and our university. Many on this board only see UR from afar and have no idea how much our current players and alums think of our coaches. Believe me it is very real and UR is blessed to have them.

Last edited:
9, I got my plaque back in the late 60’s and George Modlin signed it. Back then it did not cost nearly as much as it does now. I might mention that on my walk today early in the morning, I passed by the RC and ran into an all time Spider great who was meeting one of our coaches. We chatted a few minutes and he told me how much he thought of our coaches and our university. Many on this board only see UR from afar and have no idea how much our current players and alums think of our coaches. Believe me it is very real and UR is blessed to have them.

Some of the real spiders whose posts and opinions I value the most are those who have the stones to challenge and criticize (words not in the lexicon of some on this board) those in the athletic department who are underperforming.

BTW, Modlin, according to the history books, is known as the last president to oppose the admission of students of color (which, I am told, includes athletes) despite their admission at other more forward-thinking schools across the Commonwealth. At that time, and I assume in your era, the university had a similar thinking law school dean who up until he was threatened with loss of accreditation of the law school for a similar attitude.

So, Ulla, maybe you'd be better served in making your point by not using a reference to Modlin. Word might get out and then we'd be embattled with those wanting to change the name of some buildings, a law library, and other honorary emblements on our campus which have heretofore been accepted without question. May I suggest that you entertain the notion of mentioning Tiberius Gracchus Jones instead?

BTW, I am not posting from afar.

And I wonder about your criteria in determining an all-time Spider great inasmuch as you did not mention his/her name yet everything he apparently said was interpreted by you as good and positive about our university. I hope you have higher standards than those you apply to recruits.

I think we’re all pretty much real fans here. Except that one dude over there Eating paste...

Let’s lighten up.

Reactions: urfan1
Mmmmm paste...
  1. a mixture of flour and water, often with starch or the like, used for causing paper or other material to adhere to something.
  2. any soft, smooth, and plastic material or preparation.
  3. dough, especially when prepared with shortening, as for making pie crust and other pastry: puff paste.

Mmmmm paste...
  1. a mixture of flour and water, often with starch or the like, used for causing paper or other material to adhere to something.
  2. any soft, smooth, and plastic material or preparation.
  3. dough, especially when prepared with shortening, as for making pie crust and other pastry: puff paste.

Oh, I knew you were a paste eater!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT