ADVERTISEMENT

Former Spiders & Friends of the Family playing in 23-24 ...

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
Not including Tyler in this thread since assume we will continue to use the dedicated thread for TB that was started a while back .. Think the list below is complete but if I have missed anyone, please let me know. Assume Andre and Marcus will start and maybe Isaiah if he is fully recovered from last year's injury. Haven't followed VCU closely and will be interested to see how it works out for Jason Nelson ..

Outbound transfers
  • Andre Weir - Junior - FGCU
  • Isaiah Wilson - Senior - Winthrop
  • Marcus Randolph - Junior - St. Peter's
  • Malcolm Dread - Sophomore - Mt St Mary's
  • Jason Nelson - Redshirt Sophomore - VCU
Brothers and Sons of former Spider greats
  • Nikolas Gustavson - Redshirt Sophomore - U. of Texas Tyler (D2) - had been at U of North Alabama last year but never played
  • Jarin Stevenson - Freshman at Bama
  • Curtis Blair III - Redshirting this year at Liberty

Last edited:
out of curiosity, I looked up the box score for their exhibition. Looks like he lead all scorers with 21 and was 5-8 from three, 5 assists, 0 turnovers. I will wait to see what he does against actual D1 competition but this is an indictment on MoonPie waiting to happen.
he came in with talent. we knew that. but he struggled running our offense for some reason. don't know why, but the style wasn't a fit. it's not like Mooney can't coach PGs. we have a long history of great ones who ran this offense to perfection.

it didn't work out, but I'm not going to sweat it if Nelson plays well for VCU. maybe their system is just a better fit for him. if so, he made the right move.

he came in with talent. we knew that. but he struggled running our offense for some reason. don't know why, but the style wasn't a fit. it's not like Mooney can't coach PGs. we have a long history of great ones who ran this offense to perfection.

it didn't work out, but I'm not going to sweat it if Nelson plays well for VCU. maybe their system is just a better fit for him. if so, he made the right move.
Agree with your comment. None of us said that Nelson had no basketball talent. What we said was that his defense was terrible, and his ballhandling and passing showed that was not ready to run the show at Richmond. His performance proved that beyond doubt.

Figured JayNel would get the bulk of the chatter on this thread at least initially.. but realizing Andre Weir had some growing up to do when he left Richmond early in what would have been his freshman and crazy hard COVID year, thinking he would be a pretty big contributor at this point had he stuck around- 6'10 and 265 lbs - watched him in a few games last season and he keeps getting better.

Figured JayNel would get the bulk of the chatter on this thread at least initially.. but realizing Andre Weir had some growing up to do when he left Richmond early in what would have been his freshman and crazy hard COVID year, thinking he would be a pretty big contributor at this point had he stuck around- 6'10 and 265 lbs - watched him in a few games last season and he keeps getting better.

he looks thinner.

he looks thinner.
yeah - thinner and stronger I think .. if I recall he was a late commit to Richmond and had never even been to campus given it was April of '20 and the start of COVID times .. remember listening to him and Dji or Isaiah Wilson (I think) on a Noah Goldberg podcast early in the fall of '20 and feared was going to be a bit too hard of adjustment for Andre .. although have no details of what exactly played out ..

Agree with your comment. None of us said that Nelson had no basketball talent. What we said was that his defense was terrible, and his ballhandling and passing showed that was not ready to run the show at Richmond. His performance proved that beyond doubt.
I would also add his mental game needs a lot of work. Once he made a few bad plays, he just let it snowball on him. And for a small guy playing D-1 basketball you need to be incredibly mentally tough. That is what made all of our great small guards so great. Yes, they had great talent but they had this drive and mental toughness that they get schooled one play or have an off game and come right back the next with an outstanding performance.

I didn't see that in Nelson. Granted he is young, so perhaps last year was a great learning experience for him.

Also agree his defense was pretty atrocious. A-10 teams would single him out to attack and that is a lot of why his time diminished once we got in conference play.

Going to add sons of past Spiders to this thread since the more players and teams to track the better ..

Jarin Stevenson at Alabama and Custis Blaire III at Liberty ..

Nelson struggled last year no doubt. & there were times he didn't give good effort on D either. That seems mental more than physical, and imo falls at least partially on coaches. Maybe he didn't like UR, it's not for everybody, I have no idea. He did wait out the 1 year as redshirt tho. I will say I thought there was more effort end of year such as conf tourney when he got back in there. We also hear over and over how hard the O is to pick up. That's a lot to take on & it didn't click.

But there's talent so with 3 years left after going thru a freshman year w heavy usage, yeah he shoud do much better.

But I agree w 8legs it would reflect as indictment on Mooney. That's the way it goes with these things. Especially when he gave him the keys and then sped off to VCU first chance he got. I believe first ever Richmond to VCU bball transfer. He'll be fired up to face us and it will be a storyline to the game(s).

Reactions: Section9.RowD

my view, which others don't have to share obviously, is that when you have been running the show for 20 years and know exactly what you are looking for in your system, scout a kid presumably since he was in middle school, recruit and extend an offer, sit him for a redshirt year to develop further, THEN give him the keys to the Cadillac and after all that investment it implodes that is bad enough on its own but to have the kid go to your biggest rival AND see him flourish there (if that is how it plays out)?
That just does not sit well with me at all. I don't really care what the excuses are that would be the biggest black eye of all. He drops a 30 piece on us or knocks down a game winner in the RC and it becomes that much worse.

I am with you 8legs. It seems like it was going to be a learning year for Nelson here, but he did not get the support possibly when things went wrong. I am not saying he is blameless, but it just seems that he did not have the warm fuzzies from our program. Hoping he does not kill us this year, but I feel like he will be extra motivated.

he's a Richmond kid who wanted to play in front of friends and family. we landed him. he was a great get. but he had a pretty bad year. he needed a fresh start.

honestly, would many of us here have been happy going into this year with him inked in as the starting PG?
I'm much more comfortable with King, and I like everything I hear about Tyne. plus we have Smith. I'm fine with where we are.

I expect he'll do well. that why we recruited him. he's talented. but the move might be best for both parties.

With the evidence so far it is hard for me to think he would be better than any of the three (?) KAs. Let alone his immediate predecessor.

With the evidence so far it is hard for me to think he would be better than any of the three (?) KAs. Let alone his immediate predecessor.
I think Mr T was comparing him to the PGs we give playing time THIS season.
We will see what those stats say in April. Not that stats can't be interpreted many ways...

Edit: (someday I will learn to type)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeeter
D1 Games tomorrow.

TB- American @ Villanova Fox App 7:30
Isaiah Wilson - Winthrop @ Clemson - 7 Espn+
Marcus Randolph- St Peters @ Seton Hall 7:30 Fox App
Jason Nelson - McNeese State @ VCU - 7pm - Will Wade reunion game

Jarin Stevenson - Morehead State at 8pm - ESPN +

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Nelson is not a starter for VCU in their opener tonight, but I'm sure he'll get some solid run.

Stats from Opening Night

TB-
Lead Wildcats with 15 points and 7 rebounds as Nova beat American after a close first half.
Isaiah Wilson - Didn't play - not sure if he has fully recovered from last year's knee injury as Winthrop was early handled by Clemson.
Marcus Randolph- Didn't start but played 19 minutes with only 3 points as St. Peters lost to Seton Hall by 11.
Jason Nelson - As stated above, also didn't start, also played 19 minutes with 2 points as VCU tore up the A10 10 leg ML parlay losing to Will Wade's McNeese State Sweet 16 bound team.

Jarin Stevenson - Nice first game for Bama. 21 minutes, 12 points, 5 rebounds as Bama crushed Morehead State by 32.

He is gone man! Get on board with our players or transfer.
5d153ec321a861052e14eee3

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Speaking of Davidson…Bobby Durkin with a good start. I’m going to be a broken record but we r going to regret not getting him here.

Tonight's Games involving former Spiders and Friends of the family
  • Andre Weir - FCGU @ Indiana 6:30 PM - BTN
  • Malcolm Dread - MT St. Mary's @Mayland 7pm

Reactions: urfan1
Weir: Scoreless in 14 minutes off the bench as FGCU put a scare into Indiana. Had four boards and a couple of blocks, but also four fouls in his brief time on the court.

Dread: Did not play as Maryland fairly comfortably defeated MSM. Not sure if there's an injury or if he's not in the 10-man rotation.

Fri night games

TB- Nova at LeMoyne (Beilein early school that has moved up to D1 this year). 630pm FS1.
Jason Nelson - VCU at Samford 7pm ESPN+ and MASN. Will see how he fares after his initial 19 minutes, 2 points night.

Jarin Stevenson - Bama at Ind State - 8pm ESPN+ after good first game for Jarin - 21 minutes, 12 points, 5 rebounds.
Curtis Blair III - Liberty hosting Charlotte. Curtis didn't appear to play in their opening game versus non-D1 MidAtlantic

Last edited:
Fri night games

TB- Nova at LeMoyne (Beilein early school that has moved up to D1 this year). 630pm FS1.
Jason Nelson - VCU at Stanford 7pm ESPN+. Will see how he fares after his initial 19 minutes, 2 points night.

Jarin Stevenson - Bama at Ind State - 8pm ESPN+ after dood first game for Jarin - 21 minutes, 12 points, 5 rebounds.
Curtis Blair III - Liberty hosting Charlotte. Curtis didn't appear to play in their opening game versus non-D1 MidAtlantic
Actually Samford at vcu MASN

You have all of the locations backwards...those games are at 'Nova, VCU, 'Bama, and Charlotte (Spectrum Center).

Also, Andre Weir and FCGU are hosting NAIA Ave Maria.

BTW, McKay said they're planning to redshirt Blair and the other two frosh.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT