ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond Player Impact Matrix

I think whatever formula is being used needs a lot of tweaking. Bigelow had 12 rebounds, including 4 offensive, and 0 turnovers in 19 minutes. If you are talking about impacting a game, that can't possibly equal 0.01 in any formula, anywhere, anytime.
I get where you're coming from, but he missed every shot he took. It's a holistic statistic, taking a variety of factors into account. I'll go back and take a look, but I like where it stands. Sometimes, it's not going to show exactly how one might feel about a player in a particular game. For example, Grace should not be up top in my opinion, but is how it is.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I think whatever formula is being used needs a lot of tweaking. Bigelow had 12 rebounds, including 4 offensive, and 0 turnovers in 19 minutes. If you are talking about impacting a game, that can't possibly equal 0.01 in any formula, anywhere, anytime.
agreed. rebounds are currently undervalued. from watching the game, can't tell me Bigs was the least "impactful" because he missed 4 shots. he was more impactful this game than Crab, Roche, Goose and Quinn.

Missing all of your shots is definitely a negative impact, so I get that. But I do still feel like his 12 boards compared to 2 for Roche should have outweighed the one more missed shot from the field and a miss from the line.

It's kind of nitpicking though...we obviously needed more out of both of them (and others) on Saturday.

RPIM's for Win over GW

RPIM MVP: Tyler Burton

PlayerRPIM
Tyler Burton35.31
Isaiah Bigelow15.30
Andre Gustavson13.63
Jason Roche13.08
Jason Nelson10.63
Neal Quinn10.30
Matt Grace9.53
Connor Crabtree0.10
Marcus Randolph-5.02

Solid overall performance for the Spiders! Almost 7 players in double digit RPIM's is great overall team play even with Grace and Nelson not playing as well as they could have. Onto the next one!

RPIM's for Win over Duquesne

PlayerRPIM
Tyler Burton33.16
Isaiah Bigelow23.30
Neal Quinn12.43
Andre Gustavson11.72
Matt Grace10.98
Jason Nelson8.70
Jason Roche8.27
Marcus Randolph2.51

*NOTE: Jason Roche received a bonus for his game winning basket. Reason why he's still so low was his overall poor performance for the earlier parts of the game statistically (though he really could've had 3-4 threes, so a bit unlucky)

RPIM's for Win over Davidson

PlayerRPIM
Tyler Burton23.36
Jason Nelson22.63
Isaiah Bigelow12.55
Neal Quinn11.90
Jason Roche8.74
Marcus Randolph7.45
Matt Grace7.36
Andre Gustavson6.63

Arguably, Nelson should have this one, but Burton made up for his poor 3 point shooting with his performance at the line and his rebounding ability. Seeing all RPIM's over 6 is amazing, that's what we need to win each game in the A-10.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
RPIM's from Loss to St. Bonaventure

RPIM MVP: Matt Grace

PlayerRPIM
Matt Grace26.73
Isaiah Bigelow16.89
Tyler Burton16.62
Jason Roche12.71
Neal Quinn10.20
Jason Nelson7.37
Andre Gustavson3.37
Marcus Randolph0.98

Pretty brutal game from Burton last night, can't win if he plays that poorly. Nelson struggled as well. Poor decision making in the front half of the second half and we couldn't make our way back. Grace shot well, though I don't like some of the 3s he takes. Bigelow needs to be on the floor late for his FT shooting, he's been on fire. #FreeRoche

RPIM's from Win over Rhody

PlayerRPIM
Tyler Burton33.02
Neal Quinn22.95
Andre Gustavson14.89
Jason Nelson12.54
Matt Grace9.83
Marcus Randolph6.00
Jason Roche4.72
Isaiah Bigelow1.51
Dji Bailey-1.12

This is our recipe for more wins in the A-10. Tyler shoots solid (needs to hit some of those 3's, but love his aggressive drives to the basket) and goes for 20+, Quinn contributes well as a threat down low, and other players step up when they need to (Goose hit a couple of nice 3's alongside his great defense). Good to see Dji back, though I think his playing time is limited with Randolph taking over his minutes. Roche had a tough game but nice to see him contribute to our Princeton O on those cuts, and he looked solid on D. Look for a rebound game from him against VCU with crowd support.

Reactions: plydogg
RPIM's from Loss to VCU

RPIM MVP: Matt Grace

PlayerRPIM
Matt Grace21.56
Jason Nelson11.29
Neal Quinn11.08
Tyler Burton10.64
Andre Gustavson9.90
Isaiah Bigelow8.85
Jason Roche7.40
Marcus Randolph5.87
Aidan Noyes3.00
Dji Bailey1.40
Michael Walz0.20

Tough game from Burton, he was not his best and it cost us. Unfortunately we can't support the team around him if he has an off game and that's unfortunate. Grace has shown his consistency in the past few games this season but nobody else can say the same. Tough all the way around.

wasn't sure where this would be best posted but figured the advanced stats folks in here would be interested--

wow.
interesting that the best shooting lineup is the best point differential lineup. lol
not saying dont use Quinn plenty ... but shouldn't we at least try starting this most successful lineup?

wow.
interesting that the best shooting lineup is the best point differential lineup. lol
not saying dont use Quinn plenty ... but shouldn't we at least try starting this most successful lineup?

Thx for posting 8legs. Always interesting to look at those. Yeah use it more sman. And see what happens if u sub Bigs for Nelson in that one. I’m confident that would be even better/our best but it gets no run.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Thx for posting 8legs. Always interesting to look at those. Yeah use it more sman. And see what happens if u sub Bigs for Nelson in that one. I’m confident that would be even better/our best but it gets no run.
that's the only other lineup with a positive point differential.

Kinda hard to make sense of it...the only difference between the not-great most-used lineup and the really good one is swapping Roche in for Quinn. But putting Roche in with other combos doesn't work nearly so well.

So to summarize:

Our starting lineup -1
Bigelow for Quinn -8
Roche for Grace -4
Bigelow for Grace -8
Roche for Quinn +45
Bigelow for Quinn & Roche for Goose -3

Is that correct? and for the season, the A10 or the last 5?

Lastly if there are 8 players and 5 need to be on the floor is that 32,768 combinations? Nevermind, that is with up to 5 of each player and there position in the lineup mattering.

6720 combinations (8*7*6*5*4), but obviously a lot of them wouldn't make sense.

6720 combinations (8*7*6*5*4), but obviously a lot of them wouldn't make sense.
I agree and I was calculating 8 to the 5th. But that would include Quinn, Burton, Burton, Burton, Quinn and Burton, Burton, Quinn, Quinn, Burton as two viable options.

s-l500.jpg

The bottom one is slightly negative & has Nelson instead of Goose. I said that lineup but swap those 2.
ah.
the bottom one (Bigs for Goose) is slightly negative on the NET, but 67 points scored vs 64 points allowed.
I like that one.

No Randolph listed. And Nelson & Burton in every listing.
Therefore Quinn, Grace, Bigelow, Roche & Goose for 3 spots...

Quinn is starting to look like a liability. Giving Roche a starting spot allows him to establish himself early in the game and Quinn being sub #1 presents a unique challenge to defend against.

Quinn is starting to look like a liability. Giving Roche a starting spot allows him to establish himself early in the game and Quinn being sub #1 presents a unique challenge to defend against.
Man, I disagree. I want extra as many minutes for Roche as possible, but I think Quinn is showing us more and more each game recently on both ends. He is being more aggressive on offensive looking for his shot and can pretty much get a really good look with his size anytime he wants (he just has to want it a bit more). And when he is more aggressive, he is going to then draw more double teams, in which case a great 3 pointer like Roche is someone you want out there to pass it back out.

Man, I disagree. I want extra as many minutes for Roche as possible, but I think Quinn is showing us more and more each game recently on both ends. He is being more aggressive on offensive looking for his shot and can pretty much get a really good look with his size anytime he wants (he just has to want it a bit more). And when he is more aggressive, he is going to then draw more double teams, in which case a great 3 pointer like Roche is someone you want out there to pass it back out.
I like Quinn. I like Grace. I don't like Quinn with Grace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT