ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Weaver - 2021 Walk-on Commit

Being totally naive, why would a kid from KC, and his parent, chose to come to an expensive private
university so far away? Being a PWO means there is no money for him, so his folks have to pony up.
His post says that others recruited him, I’m assuming some offered scholarship dollars.

It feels like we are adding two PWOs a year lately. I've lost track but am I close to right? I wonder why that is?

Being totally naive, why would a kid from KC, and his parent, chose to come to an expensive private
university so far away? Being a PWO means there is no money for him, so his folks have to pony up.
His post says that others recruited him, I’m assuming some offered scholarship dollars.
I see no sign of any scholarship offers.

Why wouldn’t he want to come to UR? He’s a smart kid coming from a private high school. Kids like that come to UR from all over the country. This guy happens to also play basketball.

I would not assume that. Plenty of kids get recruited without being offered a scholarship. Also, if they get offered a scholarship from D2 or D3, it could be for a lot less than 100%, meaning some school will still need to be paid for.

I would not assume that. Plenty of kids get recruited without being offered a scholarship. Also, if they get offered a scholarship from D2 or D3, it could be for a lot less than 100%, meaning some school will still need to be paid for.
SF and you make good points. I’m just so used to the “what’s in it for me” attitude that is so prevalent today
I guess I have become jaded. I know I am always excited when I hear of a kid, that was a walk-on, is given a scholarship.
I need to refocus. Thank you.

Reactions: VT4700
Division III schools do not offer athletic scholarships.
But if your grades/scores/etc are strong enough, you can get a full ride academic scholarship.
I haven't seen this. I know some brilliant kids who were athletes that got some money at DIII, but certainly not full rides. if they're doing that to attract a good basketball player, they're clearly skirting the rules and it would raise a red flag. no money for athletics at DIII.
there's money at D2 but you sacrifice on academics.

depending on the kid/family, there are 2 goals beyond just playing when trying to play college basketball.
1) to get a scholarship. if not that, then ...
2) to get into a really good school that you might not get into without basketball.

Reactions: urfan1
I haven't seen this. I know some brilliant kids who were athletes that got some money at DIII, but certainly not full rides. if they're doing that to attract a good basketball player, they're clearly skirting the rules and it would raise a red flag. no money for athletics at DIII.
A coach can help a bit at the D-III level, being an advocate for a recruit and helping make the financial aid office aware if a need-based award isn't competitive with other schools, for example (speaking from experience on this one), but that only goes so far.

A coach can help a bit at the D-III level, being an advocate for a recruit and helping make the financial aid office aware if a need-based award isn't competitive with other schools, for example (speaking from experience on this one), but that only goes so far.
yes, same happens at the Ivy level I'm told. but you still have to show need. and while lesser academic D3's give merit aid, the high academics like MIT, Amherst, Hopkins, etc ... they don't give any merit aid to anyone. I don't believe Ivy's give any merit aid either.

there's money at D2 but you sacrifice on academics.
I've seen it first hand, here in Virginia. You'd need to be a stellar student.

Division III schools do not offer athletic scholarships.
But if your grades/scores/etc are strong enough, you can get a full ride academic scholarship.

That's why academic schools pretty much dominate sports at the D3 level unless they're a WIAC school. A lot of them are four year players not really there for sports entirely. Some may even of been good enough for a PWO at the D1 level but took money, less stress and more PT at the D3 level.

A lot of the lets call them less academically inclined schools usually pick up solid players but can't make the grades or realize they aren't going pro and taking out 40k a year in student loans is an expensive way to fail at making the pros. Thus most their roster is composed with well over 70% their rosters being underclassmen.

As a result the roster composition is completely different, with academic schools reflecting players part of a four year program while at other schools they're simply admissions fodder.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT