ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse

Not a Lacrosse guy, but enjoying the Spiders success in the sport. Anxious to hear from the lax folks on what I have to say.

Where does Lax go from here with the program? We're certainly good, but also certainly not (yet) a true national power. We are elite in a lesser conference. We can beat the big boys. . . . but not regularly (and not (yet) at the end of the season). We can get a few recruits that the true big boys are after, but not the truly elite recruit and not quite enough of the ones that the National powers are after to raise us up to that level.

So where do we go and how do we get there or is this sort of it. Do we need a new conference - - - and is there anywhere that seems possible.? Will an NCAA win push us meaningfully forward or is our place in the lacrosse world going to be sort of where it is - - - really good, but not elite, capable of big wins (maybe even the occasional NCAA win), but maybe not a big run of them etc?

Its interesting, I think we'd have all signed on for the level of success we have seen (especially as quickly as its come), but now I am wondering is there more we can be? Can we be the Gonzaga of lacrosse - - - a truly elite level team with regular success at the highest levels (on the filed and in recruiting) or is that realistically out of reach given the lax landscape (about which I know nothing!)? And if its attainable, what has to happen for us to get there??

Not a Lacrosse guy, but enjoying the Spiders success in the sport. Anxious to hear from the lax folks on what I have to say.

Where does Lax go from here with the program? We're certainly good, but also certainly not (yet) a true national power. We are elite in a lesser conference. We can beat the big boys. . . . but not regularly (and not (yet) at the end of the season). We can get a few recruits that the true big boys are after, but not the truly elite recruit and not quite enough of the ones that the National powers are after to raise us up to that level.

So where do we go and how do we get there or is this sort of it. Do we need a new conference - - - and is there anywhere that seems possible.? Will an NCAA win push us meaningfully forward or is our place in the lacrosse world going to be sort of where it is - - - really good, but not elite, capable of big wins (maybe even the occasional NCAA win), but maybe not a big run of them etc?

Its interesting, I think we'd have all signed on for the level of success we have seen (especially as quickly as its come), but now I am wondering is there more we can be? Can we be the Gonzaga of lacrosse - - - a truly elite level team with regular success at the highest levels (on the filed and in recruiting) or is that realistically out of reach given the lax landscape (about which I know nothing!)? And if its attainable, what has to happen for us to get there??
Philly we are definitely headed in the right direction. Chemotti is a great coach, who has been to and won a national championship as the assistant to Loyola. His friends are coaches of the elite programs. But, we’re at that point where some teams just as soon avoid us. Like other sports, basketball comes to mind, where a top team doesn’t want to play a Richmond in lacrosse because they feel that they have more to lose than
win in a game against us.
When I walk into a party where the guests are alumnus of some of the top elite lacrosse high schools in Maryland, they listen and comment favorably about the Spiders. Getting a scholarship to Richmond is
not a “second” choice in most cases.
Saying all of this, yes I think we should move to the CAA in lacrosse. Better competition, teams in our recruiting areas, and just that much more in recognition.

Who do you think is ducking playing us? We've played Marquette, Duke (multiple times), North Carolina (multiple times), Notre Dame (w/ this season--multiple times), Virginia (multiple times), Maryland, St. Joe's, Fairfield (ranked when we played them) and Navy this year.

Who do you think is ducking playing us? We've played Marquette, Duke (multiple times), North Carolina (multiple times), Notre Dame (w/ this season--multiple times), Virginia (multiple times), Maryland, St. Joe's, Fairfield (ranked when we played them) and Navy this year.
Actually, you make a good point.
I was just looking at the whole body of work, and realize that
there are teams like Loyola, Syracuse, Cornell, Hopkins, and others that haven't been on the schedule.
But I will withdraw that comment. We do play some elite teams.
Didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Hard to tell from the highlights but it looked like we were scoring a lot against Towson.

Will be playing Marist for the first time ever on 2/14 (was in the Foxes schedule release this past week).

2020 tentative schedule:

Likely 7 home and 7 Away games.4 OOC teams remain undefined.

Of those 4,there will likely be 3 away and 1 home.

UVA ?

Duke ?

UMBC ?

(Bucknell out) ?
——————-

UR will host Marist(MAAC) 2/14

UR will host USNA(Patriot) 2/18

@ Mercer

@ Furman

@ Mount Saint Mary’s 3/3 4pm

@ VMI 3/6 7pm

UR will host Bellarmine 3/14

UR will host HPU 3/21

UR will host JAX 4/11

UR will host USAFA 4/25

Last edited:
I am relatively new to lacrosse. Would someone please explain what this means? Thanks.

NEW NCAA MEN'S GOAL MOUTH ARC KEEPS THE DIVE ALIVE
THU 12 SEP 2019 | PRESS RELEASE | COLLEGE

ncaa-goal-mouth.jpg

New marking is designed to help protect goalies and make the dive easier to officiate.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved adding an arc within the goal-crease area to clearly define the “goal mouth” in men’s lacrosse.

Starting with the 2020 season, the new arc will extend 6 feet from the center of the goal line to the goal lines extended. NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Rules Committee members think this adjustment will address concerns raised by head coaches and officials in the most recently completed men’s lacrosse rules survey.

Offensive players are prohibited from jumping or diving then subsequently landing in the newly defined goal mouth. In addition, the penalty for initiating contact with the goalkeeper within the goal mouth will result in no goal and a one-minute penalty. Landing in the goal mouth without contacting the goalkeeper will result in no goal and loss of possession.

CHEST PROTECTORS AND SHOULDER PADS
The panel also approved a rule change to help protect players from commotio cordis, an often-lethal disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart at a critical time during the cycle of a heartbeat.

Beginning in January 2021, goalkeepers must use chest protectors designed for lacrosse certified to the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment commotio cordis protective device standard at the time of manufacture or an alternative protective device certified to that standard.

Beginning in January 2022, field players must wear shoulder pads with protectors certified to the NOCSAE commotio cordis protective device standard at the time of manufacture or an alternative protective device certified to that standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT