ADVERTISEMENT

King A10 CO - Player of the Year.

I love how King carries himself on the court. He is a little cocky out there and he plays with passion. You saw that on display on Saturday when he turned and looked at the Mason bench after one of his made 3's, did the "too short" after another made shot and got all fiery when Mason got the timeout granted after we inbounded. That's moxie and every team needs someone like that (Bigs also has some).

You can tell the other guys like him as well. He is just a really fun player to watch, can't say we've had a player like him probably since Kendall Anthony.

Completely agree, 97. You hit a lot of the fun intangibles about King. We need confident, determined, fiery but yet controlled guys like him! Like you said, Bigelow is showing his aggressiveness and determination as well. Same is showing with Dji and even Quinn, too.

We typically do have enough talent to play good, aggressive basketball. We are sometimes stymied by Mooney's need to play finesse system ball.

Side note: You mentioned King's staring down the bench. While I like his confident and even a bit cocky play, you do have to be careful to not rally the other team when you target the other team with it. I also remember Gilyard getting a T for staring down the other bench. Thought it was unfair because he didn't do or say anything I don't believe.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
We are sometimes stymied by Mooney's need to play finesse system ball.
this Mooney team is as tough as any Mooney team we've had. and I don't think it's because Mooney is coaching differently or Boyden's influence. it's the players we've been landing. we've been adding athletic, defensively tough players. whether that's by design and a philosophical change or by luck that those are the players we've landed out of all the players we target is the question.

this Mooney team is as tough as any Mooney team we've had. and I don't think it's because Mooney is coaching differently or Boyden's influence. it's the players we've been landing. we've been adding athletic, defensively tough players. whether that's by design and a philosophical change or by luck that those are the players we've landed out of all the players we target is the question.
I need to clarify that by stymied by Mooney's style, I am referring to previous teams, not this one. I think you caught that by your response, but I just wanted to be clear.

I don't think it's Mooney's choice to coach differently, more a matter of being forced to allow a different individualized player style because they won't be there long enough to mold them to his system as much.

I believe we've had plenty good, tough players on previous teams who could have played this tough, aggressive, determined style where raw talent shines thru. Mooney typically prefers a more systems oriented style, though.

All of what you say is true, credit most surely must go to Mooney and his staff, this is number one!

I need to clarify that by stymied by Mooney's style, I am referring to previous teams, not this one. I think you caught that by your response, but I just wanted to be clear.

I don't think it's Mooney's choice to coach differently, more a matter of being forced to allow a different individualized player style because they won't be there long enough to mold them to his system as much.

I believe we've had plenty good, tough players on previous teams who could have played this tough, aggressive, determined style where raw talent shines thru. Mooney typically prefers a more systems oriented style, though.
I just don't believe that Mooney molds players to a more passive style.

posters said that we don't emphasize rebounding. yet Burton rebounded every year. Bigelow rebounds. because that's who they are. it's just that we don't always have Burton/Bigelow type of guys who rebound.

we're running the same offensive system as usual. I don't think we're doing things different schematically on defense either. but we do have better defenders.

Reactions: VT4700
I just don't believe that Mooney molds players to a more passive style.

posters said that we don't emphasize rebounding. yet Burton rebounded every year. Bigelow rebounds. because that's who they are. it's just that we don't always have Burton/Bigelow type of guys who rebound.

we're running the same offensive system as usual. I don't think we're doing things different schematically on defense either. but we do have better defenders.
Ok. We'll have to mostly disagree. I think by running his system, players are inherently softened a bit. I don't think it's Mooney's stated intention to soften them or make them more passive players, it's just a result of coaching the system.

I think many of our players year to year have enough raw talent to be successful at "street ball" against very talented players from topnotch teams.

Rebounding. Umm, it's very clear that this is not a priority for Mooney's teams. That's not to stay Mooney doesn't realize you need to occasionally rebound the ball, so he'll allow some of his best rebounders to go after the ball. This leads to a more aggressive style in those players, which you often see in the elite teams.

Reactions: Eight Legger
That's not to stay Mooney doesn't realize you need to occasionally rebound the ball, so he'll allow some of his best rebounders to go after the ball. This leads to a more aggressive style in those players, which you often see in the elite teams.
so you think Bigelow substantially outrebounded Matt Grace least year in fewer minutes because:
1) Mooney allowed Bigelow to go after rebounds more than Grace, or
2) Grace had been softened by being in Mooney's system for 4 years?

I think Bigelow is a more natural, aggressive athlete than Grace. I think Mooney needs at least one or two rebounders on a team, so he gives Bigelow more of a green light.

Grace is a good example for your point. He became less of an issue, more of an asset as his career at Richmond progressed. But he didn't come in as a super athlete, and he didn't leave as one either.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
agreed. a team of more natural aggressive athletes will rebound and defend better. and right now we have more of that type of athlete playing for us than usual.

Reactions: urfan1
agreed. a team of more natural aggressive athletes will rebound and defend better. and right now we have more of that type of athlete playing for us than usual.
I'm really hoping Walz becomes the next really good rebounder for Mooney. He's big, he's strong, he can jump and he's intense and aggressive when he plays. Would also think there's a chance he could be a good shot blocker as well.

I think Bigelow is a more natural, aggressive athlete than Grace. I think Mooney needs at least one or two rebounders on a team, so he gives Bigelow more of a green light.

Grace is a good example for your point. He became less of an issue, more of an asset as his career at Richmond progressed. But he didn't come in as a super athlete, and he didn't leave as one either.
Look I was wrong about Grace when he came here saying he wasn't an A-10 caliber recruit. But as it played out last year with him in a starters role, I think it became apparent that Grace was not an A-10 caliber starting player on a team that can contend in the A-10. Bigelow is an A-10 level athlete, so he can do things that Grace couldn't for us, such as rebound against anyone, run in transition, etc....

I do think a lot of it is recruiting the right type of players. Mooney looked good when he had Gonzo, KA, Smitty, Butler and even Geriot. Those guys were all mentally tough and not afraid to mix it up - in addition to being pretty darned skilled. I remember talking with Mark Kwolek a few years after at a Fordham game and he was saying how the coaches were bemoaning the weaker make up of the current group. Of course I am thinking: Who recruited these guys???
And I do get, you can only glean so much how a player to translate from hs to D1 - but coaches do need to identify that type of player and personality. I think Jaynel is a good example, I thought he looked like a bit of a KA type of personality and talent, but it did not work out. I like that we brought in Mikel at same time as Smith. Smith was a bit more hyped I think, but so far Mikel is showing he can play right away at this level. I do think the transfer portal / NIL is opening Mooney up to change, and has been good so far.

I'll disagree a little -- I think there is definitely a different look defensively since Boyden got here. Both in terms of actual fundamentals, but also in terms of effort/identity. But the additions of D-Lo and Harris, and the elevation in time for Dji, have put good defensive players on the floor more often, which of course helps.

Yes, I saw a noticeable difference in the D at the beginning of the year last year with Boyden as well. I believe Mooney even credited him as the defensive coach. Then the toll of the year seemed to allow it to tail off. But you do need the horses. Love having Harris on the floor. Too lazy to look up his minutes but I want even 5-10 more than whatever he is playing now.

2nd of many more to come for the "king"

I am not sure the A10 Player of the week is enough to reward King for one of the most outstanding weeks a Spider has had in decades. The St. Louis coach nailed it when he said "we need to follow the scouting reports, when he crosses half court he is in range."

Not sure when the last Spider scored 27 or more points twice in a week, but if it has been done, King has the record for doing it with longest 3 pointers or most people in your face, falling backward with less than 2 seconds on the clock 3 pointers. Many of his 3 pointers would be well past the NBA 3 point line. When he is hot, I am not sure anyone can guard him. He is going to have a fabulous pro career and I would not be surprised to one day see Gilly guarding him in the NBA.

Jordan King is recognized in the Times Dispatch.

“He was a walk-on at Siena five years ago,” said Richmond coach Chris Mooney. “That is mind-boggling.”

Coach Mooney talks about his unique skill set.

"Obviously, his fearlessness, competitiveness, shot-making ability, all of those things. I saw him interviewed a couple of times, and just (liked) his personality and upbeat way."

Reactions: UR80sfan
Congratulations to Jordan King! Great fun watching him play this year. Had no idea what to expect and then in the first game against VMI he sank 34 points! Some of the shots he made this year seemed almost impossible - time would be running out, he would be supposedly trapped in a corner, and then the ball would be flying through the air and we would have another three points! Go Jordan and go Spiders!

No doubt a most valuable player and an impressive student athlete. The coaching staff will have a hard time equaling this feat in future seasons.

Only one challenge left and that is for Jordan and the team figure out how to overcome the lockdown in the tournament.

Reactions: mr.spider
No doubt a most valuable player and an impressive student athlete. The coaching staff will have a hard time equaling this feat in future seasons.

Only one challenge left and that is for Jordan and the team figure out how to overcome the lockdown in the tournament.
They will be ready!

When we landed King in the portal I knew we had a good player on our hands. I watched some of his highlights, saw he had scored 14-15 ppg the last few years, and thought that transferring up to a better conference we would see his numbers stay the same or maybe even take a little dip but that he was a great fit for us.

But I have to admit I did not anticipate him being a POY guy for us, and I'm so glad to have been wrong. It seems like he's been in the business of proving people wrong the past 5 years (and probably longer) and relishes exceeding expectations.

Congrats to Jordan on an amazing year, and being a big part of such a turnaround season. Whatever happens in the A10 tourney we have been treated to a fun run, and you are forever a part of the Spider family.

When we landed King in the portal I knew we had a good player on our hands. I watched some of his highlights, saw he had scored 14-15 ppg the last few years, and thought that transferring up to a better conference we would see his numbers stay the same or maybe even take a little dip but that he was a great fit for us.

But I have to admit I did not anticipate him being a POY guy for us, and I'm so glad to have been wrong. It seems like he's been in the business of proving people wrong the past 5 years (and probably longer) and relishes exceeding expectations.

Congrats to Jordan on an amazing year, and being a big part of such a turnaround season. Whatever happens in the A10 tourney we have been treated to a fun run, and you are forever a part of the Spider family.
Agree 1000%

Just an outstanding year by Jordan. To come into a new team, a team with very little expectations, and do what he did leading us to be A-10 regular season champions is simply amazing. We have had a lot of great guards during the Mooney era, but to me we have had only 2 that elevated not just their play but the entire team's play are Jordan and Kevin Anderson.

I hope he has a weekends worth of A 10 POY in him, if he does, I feel like we are going to be cutting down the nets on Sunday. So, no pressure Jordan:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT