ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 - Update

There is talk of Frank Mason of Kansas who is similar in height to Gilyard of being a potential POY candidate. Gilyard is far ahead of him at this stage in his development. Congratulations to the coaching staff for getting a commitment from him!

Really like a line-up of Gilyard, Fore, Buck, Sherod, and Golden next year. That is a dynamic starting 5. Still concerned about depth because there is a lot of question marks with the rest of the recruiting class and not being on the same level as Gilyard.

Really like a line-up of Gilyard, Fore, Buck, Sherod, and Golden next year. That is a dynamic starting 5. Still concerned about depth because there is a lot of question marks with the rest of the recruiting class and not being on the same level as Gilyard.
Stansbury is really good.

This year, if everyone was healthy I see...
Cline, then Golden, with Abakah (for a rest)
Jones, Fore, with Kirby (for a rest)
Buckham, Sherod, Johnson, Wood

Friendshuh & Pistokacke on the bench ( I might prefer Abakah here but doesn't seem to be the rotation.)

Next season 14 instead of 12

Golden replaces Cline, Hopefully Friendshuh replaces Golden, Maybe Ford (for a rest)
Fore, Gilyard, with Kirby (for a rest)
Buckingham, Stansbury
Sherod, Johnson

Cayo, Schneider, Verbinskis, Pistokache, maybe even King on the bench, all with the chance to work their way up.

Last edited:
Our big man depth is concerning, but man do we look good at the guard positions for the foreseeable future.

I like Stansbury, in my mind he is an all conference type of player. Of course that could all change when he hits the court next year, but I will keep this image in my head until proven otherwise. Basing this off a couple of youtube clips as usual. I do think he has contributor written all over him.

What info do people have on Stansbury? All I know is that he played in European leagues for a year or two, but he did not put up good stats. I really have no idea how he will be in college basketball, he is a complete unknown.

Stansbury is really good.
Says who? I mean, I hope he is but to just make that statement without any type of back-up is pretty optimistic. He was in Europe and had an unusual recruitment process, which makes him difficult to grade out.

what little I have seen has impressed me, but others that have seen quite a bit say he is really good -- I hope the S stands for Superman!

It looks like Solly was 44-97 on 2s, 14-41 on 3s, 79 rebounds, 37 steals in 423 minutes in 19 games last year.
But love his last playoff game 7-7 from 2, 1-1 from 3, 5 rebounds, 2 steals in 19 min.

But have no idea if that competition is D league or D2...

Last edited:
Keep in mind Solly is also the son of a professional basketball coach and former NBA player. Seems to have worked well for Cline's understanding of the game that make him better than his physical tools say he should be.

Reactions: SpiderK
Next year "General Gilyard", commanding the troops: Khwan, Nick, Grant, and others at Buckingham Palace.

Reactions: urfan1
Love to see the impressive updates on Jacob. Agree with 97 that if GG can come in and do a reasonable imitation of TJC, Jacob may also be able to do one of SDJ.

The key for next year may be how well Solly plays, since he may be our "wild-card." Will Solly be able to play the "5" position for us, if needed. I would love to see Solly and JJ (or Nick) as our 6th and 7th men, since that would suggest we have a strong team. Hope the 5-man class includes at least one other guy (preferably 6-8) who can add some depth to our line-up, besides Jacob. Otherwise, we could have a very short bench again.

Love to see the impressive updates on Jacob. Agree with 97 that if GG can come in and do a reasonable imitation of TJC, Jacob may also be able to do one of SDJ.

The key for next year may be how well Solly plays, since he may be our "wild-card." Will Solly be able to play the "5" position for us, if needed. I would love to see Solly and JJ (or Nick) as our 6th and 7th men, since that would suggest we have a strong team. Hope the 5-man class includes at least one other guy (preferably 6-8) who can add some depth to our line-up, besides Jacob. Otherwise, we could have a very short bench again.
I agree, Solly is the wild card. I see Jacob starting at the point, Fore at the 2, Buck and Sherod at 3 & 4 and GG at 5. JJ and Solly first off the bench. PF is going to have to get better quick.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I wish they wouldn't write so many articles about him, too much notice, someone might steal him away

Well I thought anyone could get a release if they wanted, I can't imagine keeping a kid that didn't want to be here. Do they have to sit a year if they 're change their mind?

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the penalty for not fulfilling a signed letter of intent is that you have to sit out a year and you lose a year of eligibility.

I think we are a really good fit for Mr. Gilyard. Need him and Cayo to be contributors next year. I think Ford is a really interesting prospect. If he has the same drive as his brother that went to Northeastern, he could be a nice late find for us. Really not much out there on Verbinskis. Not sure what to think of Schneider, as much of the info I have read comes from the family business, not saying it is not accurate, but just considering the source.

Great article posted above and a nice video segment too. What stood out most to me was that he averaged 16 points per game as a junior and is more than doubling that at 33 PPG as a senior. This is what I would define as a very nice example of "blowing up." He will be a very good fit for us, and will have lots of great teammates to "distribute" to. If needed, it sure looks like he can score too, a la Kendall Anthony.... Thanks to those who posted the info above.

If you ask him, he said he prefers to distribute the ball. When he was on campus for his visit playing with our guys, he was facilitating rather than looking for his. He can certainly do it if he needs to, but believe he prefers using his ability to get others in position to score off great looks.

Facilitator or scorer - I really don't care. Just excited he's a Spider.

This kid is going to be special.

Next year I see us running small, but definitely RUNNING.

1 - Fore/Gilyard
2 - Fore/Sherod
3 - Sherod/Buckingham/Johnson
4 - Buckingham/Solly/Ford/Verbinskis
5 - Solly/Golden

Freindsuh, Pistokache, Schneider, providing us added bench depth! Future is bright!

This kid is going to be special.

Next year I see us running small, but definitely RUNNING.

1 - Fore/Gilyard
2 - Fore/Sherod
3 - Sherod/Buckingham/Johnson
4 - Buckingham/Solly/Ford/Verbinskis
5 - Solly/Golden

Freindsuh, Pistokache, Schneider, providing us added bench depth! Future is bright!
And Nathan Cayo may be the best of the bunch!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT