ADVERTISEMENT

Hardt: 'Everything is awesome!'

The empty look from Hardt aimlessly staring into space is a metaphor for the men's basketball program. There is nobody home.

The droning in the video clip from clone is a disingenuous load of crap. I have no respect for somebody who deliberately misleads and omits the truth.

Of course I wouldn't expect Clone to trash his players, BUT, to say that they played great and that it was a missed shot that prevented a win? That is ridiculous, and patently untrue.

Coaching failures combined with player failures sent them home.

Last edited:
"Everything is awesome."

I'm not seeing that quote in the story. Can you point it out to me?
I think you get my point. He's making a bunch of excuses for this disaster and intends to do nothing about it. As far as he is concerned, things are fine. We won the A10 last year and a tournament game. He will try to get at much mileage out of those as he possibly can.

Mooney's heart issue came about at the end of the season, but reading this you'd think it happened in the first week or two and completely changed the entire trajectory of things. Obviously it didn't -- we sucked long before it happened.

I think you get my point. He's making a bunch of excuses for this disaster and intends to do nothing about it. As far as he is concerned, things are fine. We won the A10 last year and a tournament game. He will try to get at much mileage out of those as he possibly can.

Mooney's heart issue came about at the end of the season, but reading this you'd think it happened in the first week or two and completely changed the entire trajectory of things. Obviously it didn't -- we sucked long before it happened.
That very well may be. But quotation marks have a very specific meaning. Attributing a quote to a person who said nothing of the sort is wrong.

We knew all these things, we knew all these transitions. But we didn’t know what the outcomes were going to be.

We didn't know what the outcomes were going to be? SERIOUSLY? WTF

If you knew the outcomes, there wouldn't be a point to playing the *&$^ing games.

I used single quotes, which are commonly used to paraphrase, as I did. Double quotes would have implied a direct quote.
OK. Thirty-five years of working with the AP style guide taught me differently.

When should you use single quotation marks in US English?

Single quotation marks are only used inside double quotation marks. They follow the same rules as other quotes, but only when replacing double quotation marks. Typically they show quotes within quotes, as when one person is quoting what another person said.

More importantly, I do not disagree with you. Our AD has his head up his ###

I used single quotes, which are commonly used to paraphrase, as I did. Double quotes would have implied a direct quote.

no English major but double quotation marks would have worked too bc they don't always mean a direct quote.

Can be used for nicknames...Wet Blanket or "Wood Blanket"...just for instance. Also used to convey sarcasm which easily could have applied.

But 1 thing is dead wrong. Hardt never would have used the word 'awesome' anyway. Even in attribution it's a bad choice. It should be something like splendid or sublime.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
What a load of garbage this is. Let's make a lot of excuses for a piss-poor season! Great work, John.

Hardt staring into space, looking for a clue
We really just don't give a f*ck is what he is saying here. We had no expectations, we never do, whatever happens, happens and we will just do the exact same thing next year. Hardt is such a failure as an AD, failure in leadership, failure in leading our athletics in anything, I suppose he is bringing in the money and that apparently is the only metric they play any mind to.

The thing that is the most frustrating is this: As the AD of the University of Richmond, you have a ridiculous amount of resources, access to a lot more if you do things right, beautiful facilities and campus, a top-level university, a really good athletics history – literally EVERYTHING that you need to be a winner across the board consistently in damn near every sport. I'm sure there are a ton of kids who are being recruited who get to campus and are blown away by it all.

Half of this stuff will just happen organically without you doing a damn thing. But the other half REQUIRES you to do SOME damn thing! And it appears he has either no desire or no ability to do that, so here we sit. It's just maddening as hell.

This is the one time a year where Hardt actually does a media interview about the state of the basketball program. This is our flagship sport and he makes himself available once a year in March to talk about it in front of the media. I mean, this guy, could be wearing a shirt that says, "Who cares" and he couldn't broadcast his lack of interest in the success of our flagship sport any louder.

The only thing I took from that article is that Hardt is looking a little long in the tooth in that picture, so maybe he is seeking to retire soon and then maybe we can a real AD with real ambition running the ship.

I took the same thing, 97 - he looks old as hell, coming from an aged person and people on this board I think we can say that :). Hopefully we get another AD in the next few years that understands the value of good hoops program. We can hope.

I took the same thing, 97 - he looks old as hell, coming from an aged person and people on this board I think we can say that :). Hopefully we get another AD in the next few years that understands the value of good hoops program. We can hope.
graduated Iowa in '84, so figure he's only about 60.

The reality is our entire athletic department is rotten. Keeping Mooney is on Hardt, but Hardt obviously has zero internal pressure to do any better than we are doing.

Basketball is obviously front and center, but the football team is a shell of what it was under Rocco, London, Clawson. We used to have a really good baseball program under Atkins, that has been stuck in the same mediocre purgatory, going on 20 years, Woodson has been here 10 years, zero NCAA bids, zero A-10 championships.

Our whole athletic program is about "competing" vs. winning championships. It has been that way since Jim Miller left. We've hired 2 AD's since then. One remote worked, before remote work was a thing, got called about by the winning departing football coach for being a settler, so we found him another job and then hired the exact same guy.

I think the message has been loud and clear for a while now, winning is not a priority at all. Mooney is perfect for our culture. I hate our culture. You say hate is a strong word and it is, but I summarizes my feelings on the University of Richmond athletic culture to a T.

This is the one time a year where Hardt actually does a media interview about the state of the basketball program. This is our flagship sport and he makes himself available once a year in March to talk about it in front of the media. I mean, this guy, could be wearing a shirt that says, "Who cares" and he couldn't broadcast his lack of interest in the success of our flagship sport any louder.

The only thing I took from that article is that Hardt is looking a little long in the tooth in that picture, so maybe he is seeking to retire soon and then maybe we can a real AD with real ambition running the ship.
That's a photo from Buffalo last year

It's really hard(t) to believe that a guy who only got his job because his daughter was roommates with our top benefactor's daughter turned out not to be great at the job.

& they did their best to pretend it wasn't. Remember all that stuff about our AD selection committee? Yet nobody can name me 1 other finalist for the job. Those always come out these days. We knew other finalists when Gill was hired. David Hale explicitly said no AD candidates had even met with the committee yet when Hardt name got rumored by espnRichmond and then voila...hardt is hired within a week. I know how committees work that's an impossible timeline. It was a setup from day 1 due the connection.

What stinks too is there are two Richmond alums who r sitting D1 ADs out there who would come in and give it everything they had.

Cake job and easy money. Winning not priority 1. Not any pressure. Hardt probably tries for 18 years?

Reactions: Eight Legger
The Richmond Spiders is and has been a developmental program. They bring players in and develop them. With the immediate transfers and the transfer portal, this will be destroyed. I can't see a situation where we have many 4 year or 5 year players. I hate what the large conferences have done to college basketball.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
What a load of garbage this is. Let's make a lot of excuses for a piss-poor season! Great work, John.

Hardt staring into space, looking for a clue
1-11 on the road in the A10. That is horrific. We are in for a very long run of lean years imo. CM doesnt have the skill, knowledge, guts, etc. To turn this mess around and Hardt doesnt have the balls to can him. Gonna be tough to stay interested.

Since one opinions overrules everything else. It’s time to hibernate. With the basketball program/ football program heading towards free fall. The AD reaches his goal. We are free falling. Like the song

Just the kind of hard hitting journalism I’ve come to expect. Milquetoast.
Actually I thought it was as scathing as it could be since we know there is very thin skin at UR. The question I would ask Hardt is transition to what? My hope was that we would see a PROGRESSION throughout the season. Instead, we saw the exact opposite. There was no preparation for the future at all and instead there was the continued reliance on the seniors. Look no further than the final loss of the season and Thomas’ decision to play Grace instead of Quinn at the end of the game. Keep the most effective interior player of the game on the bench so he doesn’t get his fifth foul EVER. Of course I have no idea why he didn’t just play them both, since that was the stellar starting lineup ALL YEAR. As Hardt said in the article “looking for some of the magic” from last year’s A10 tournament. Yep let’s stay rooted in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT