ADVERTISEMENT

Grant injury

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
There is a chance that Grant might miss a few games because of an ankle injury. It will be a game day decision, but our next couple games are probably not considered that important and as a result he will sit if there is any risk to further injury. It is a good sign that the athletic departments has not said anything indicating it is not serious. I sit very close to where he went down and he was in a great deal of pain and was not a 100% when he went back into the game.

What does it mean if he sits? He is the most important player on the team who will be very difficult to replace. It will probably cost us between offence and defense a 6 to 12 point differential. The good news is that Matt is a solid back up who can effectively run the office. I assume Matt would be backed up by KOUREISSI or possibly Burton. Below is a reminder of what Grant has done for this team. I hope to see him play on Thursday or if he sits, recover quickly.

Selected preseason Second Team All-Conference by the Atlantic 10
Became first player in Spiders history to earn All-Conference honors following freshman and sophomore seasons
Finished season with 1,083 career points, the most ever by a Spider by the end of his sophomore season
Scored a team-high 17.2 points per game, third most in the A-10, and registered 7.1 rebounds per game, eighth most in the A-10
Ranked fifth in A-10 in field goal percentage (50.3)
Led A-10 with 221 field goals ... also finished in top 15 in conference in assists per game (3.5, 13th) and blocks per game (1.06, 11th)
One of six underclassmen (freshmen or sophomores) in D-I to average 17 points and seven rebounds per game
Joined T.J. Cline in 2016-17 as the only Spiders to record 500 points, 200 rebounds, and 100 assists in a season
117 assists were second most in D-I by player 6'10" or taller (Ethan Happ - 153)

Reactions: CH_Spider
Just curious are u calling it a gameday decision based off JOC's tweet or some other information?

Also in a NCAA or Bust year every game is very important. But this stretch of 3 games is probably the best time for it to occur if you had to choose to miss games.

Vandy would be tougher without him because SEC teams would more likely have bigger physical inside players. The following 2 we should win regardless. Remember we are a NCAA and best class ever in UR history expected team. A 12 point differential is huge, it should never be that large with our team. Of course it hurts, he's hard to replace especially at his position.

Heal up quickly Grant

Just curious are u calling it a gameday decision based off JOC's tweet or some other information?

Also in a NCAA or Bust year every game is very important. But this stretch of 3 games is probably the best time for it to occur if you had to choose to miss games.

Vandy would be tougher without him because SEC teams would more likely have bigger physical inside players. The following 2 we should win regardless. Remember we are a NCAA and best class ever in UR history expected team. A 12 point differential is huge, it should never be that large with our team. Of course it hurts, he's hard to replace especially at his position.

Heal up quickly Grant
I spoke to someone close to the team, but they did not give a lot of details. BTW, it is not the best class ever if Grant is sitting on the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanw19
I think this hurts for the Vandy game and Wisconsin game. Assuming the Wisconsin game is his first game back, that is tough one to come back into the mix after being out possibly a week and a half. But this is the time to get him healed as mentioned above - we should survive the next 3 games without him if this is an NCAA expected team and best class ever group.

Matt is not a "solid back-u

Disagree with Grace as a solid back-up. Grace can give Grant 5 or max 10 minutes rest. If Grant can't go, Mooney has to embrace a smaller line-up and probably play Burton or Sal more minutes, vs. Grace more minutes.
Agreed. I think Cayo has the strength to defensively guard a center. And then I’d rather have the athletic ability of burton and Sal with Grace still playing a reserve role.

I think Matt's a solid backup 5 ... but not a starter yet even when Grant's out. I'd ask Nathan to man the 5 which is a lot to ask against Vandy. and I start Burton at the 4. Matt and Sal back them up. and they all have to rebound.

this is a bad game to not have our best rebounder. we have enough trouble on the boards as it is.

That will be the CM excuse if we lose to Vandy.
Possible he maybe tries to play against Vandy in a limited capacity from a minutes standpoint and then if needed - rest him in the following game or two to try and get back to 100% for Wisconsin?

I think we lose any game if Grace is playing 20 minutes or more. I’d rather Sal or Burton get the start. With that being said, I still would bet on Grant playing

I think we lose any game if Grace is playing 20 minutes or more. I’d rather Sal or Burton get the start. With that being said, I still would bet on Grant playing
I've seen this regarding Sal over Grace a few times now. I don't know what you all are seeing other than wishful thinking at this point. I get the higher ceiling thing, but right now for one game I don't see a substantial difference. Grace might even be ahead to me, especially at the 5.

I've seen this regarding Sal over Grace a few times now. I don't know what you all are seeing other than wishful thinking at this point. I get the higher ceiling thing, but right now for one game I don't see a substantial difference. Grace might even be ahead to me, especially at the 5.
Haven’t looked up stats to back me up, but purely from watching, Sal rebounds at a much higher rate than Grace.

Haven’t looked up stats to back me up, but purely from watching, Sal rebounds at a much higher rate than Grace.
Here's my issue with Grace. He is passive and is one of those players who plays not to make a mistake but by doing so, he rarely makes any plays to help the team on either side of the ball.

I watched Grace get pushed right out of a good defense rebounding position by a guy who was probably no more than 6'5 against St. Francis. On offense, Grace does not even look to score the ball.

Sal might get pushed around just as much as Grace on defense but at least he is looking to involved himself on offense and not afraid to mix it up out there. I'll take that effort and attitude every day over someone not sure of themselves out there.

Reactions: Spider2020
Having said that, I'd be more comfortable with Nate at the 5 and Burton at the 4 over Sal at this point. But lets also be real, if that is the case, both Nate and Burton are gonna pick up some fouls and then Sal is getting some increased minutes.

Let's just hope Grant can go and this is all a moot point.

Reactions: plydogg
the statistical rebounding differential is not significant at this time (<1 extra per 40 mpg in Sal's favor). I believe Matt's a better shooter, passer, and interior defender. I'd love for Sal to wow me and make me eat my words. I just haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: UR80sfan and VT4700
Agree on this, matt is actually reasonably sound in defensive positioning and as the distributor when running the O. He’s not athletic and isn’t going to do what grant does underneath but I doubt Sal or tyler would either.

Last edited:
Looks like GG can be seen jogging in the background of the boomerang posted on the MBB Instagram stories. I would think him taking part in shoot around would mean they are leaning towards him playing tonight?

A team with NCAA aspirations and loaded with the best class in school history should be able to overcome 1 player sitting out a game against a bad team at home.
Remember, to many on here, nothing is ever the moonman’s fault. NOTHING.

Been one of my biggest beefs last 6-7 years, severe lack of interior depth. I know truther47, it is hard to recruit big men. ACC, BIG, BE etc scoop them up. But once again, we have had depth before. Would love to be able to plug in a Darrius Garrett or a Josh Duinker in this case.

Nesmith who is Vanderbilt's leading scorer rebounds well at 6'6 but Clevon Brown at 6'8 is who helps him with 8 rebounds a game. In their first two games they are active down low averaging 31 rebounds per game. That being said, the Spiders pulled down 33 rebounds the other night.

Reactions: plydogg
It would be nice to think that Richmond can win when Golden isn't available. We've seen him injured, in foul trouble, and out of gas. We have to learn to win otherwise.

Well, losing your best player could have a negative impact, don't you think?
Who are you kidding? Seriously. Golden is soft. He can play the bad boy to the fans, but he can't deliver on the court. There is absolutely no way that I would start him. He is a total prima donna. I know his mom thinks otherwise, but she is just being a mom and doesn't have a clue. That's what moms do. Would you want her coaching out team? But Grant's not the only pussy on our team. Gilyard and Francis are living off the illusion that they should be recognized because they are short. I mean, give me a break. Neither one of them would stand out if they weren't 5"3". If you want to get better, you need to get real. Add to that, the fact that we have a coach who doesn't have a clue. I mean not even a sniff of a clue. Did you see the game tonight? I mean did you observe what he was doing on the sidelines? I would say clueless, but that would be an insult to those with a clue. He looked terrified. It must be disturbing for him. I would expect more of a Princeton grad. I think we need to write this up in the next Princeton Review under the category of dumbest reviews.
And then there is Bob Black. What can I say? Crutcher has placed the foxes in charge of the clubhouse. And even though he has picked the dumbest foxes on the planet, they are still winning. So such is our plight.
God, it would be so easy to coach this team. Just need to kick some of them in the ass. Shame that's not going to happen.
Now I just wait and see how the moderators edit my post to bring it in line with their views. Does anyone know which party they belong to?
D. Tarrant.

Who are you kidding? Seriously. Golden is soft. He can play the bad boy to the fans, but he can't deliver on the court. There is absolutely no way that I would start him. He is a total prima donna. I know his mom thinks otherwise, but she is just being a mom and doesn't have a clue. That's what moms do. Would you want her coaching out team? But Grant's not the only pussy on our team. Gilyard and Francis are living off the illusion that they should be recognized because they are short. I mean, give me a break. Neither one of them would stand out if they weren't 5"3". If you want to get better, you need to get real. Add to that, the fact that we have a coach who doesn't have a clue. I mean not even a sniff of a clue. Did you see the game tonight? I mean did you observe what he was doing on the sidelines? I would say clueless, but that would be an insult to those with a clue. He looked terrified. It must be disturbing for him. I would expect more of a Princeton grad. I think we need to write this up in the next Princeton Review under the category of dumbest reviews.
And then there is Bob Black. What can I say? Crutcher has placed the foxes in charge of the clubhouse. And even though he has picked the dumbest foxes on the planet, they are still winning. So such is our plight.
God, it would be so easy to coach this team. Just need to kick some of them in the ass. Shame that's not going to happen.
Now I just wait and see how the moderators edit my post to bring it in line with their views. Does anyone know which party they belong to?
D. Tarrant.
Wow! U get up on the wrong side of the bed?????

Reactions: spider fan
Based on what I saw last night - I would see if they can sit Grant in the next game, let him heal up. We will need him more for the Wisconsin game and beyond. I would hope we can sit him in one of the next 2 games and still win and get him 100%

Remember, to many on here, nothing is ever the moonman’s fault. NOTHING.

There's maybe one person on here that fits this description, and even that poster has sort of "blamed" Mooney for things. There's not a single other poster that has taken the position that nothing is Mooney's fault.

This is the same as the "Truther" moniker. Posters keep throwing it out there as the boogeyman against whom we must incessantly post negative or foreboding messages, "because Truthers", but no one can identify a Truther.

Please somebody identify the "many on here" or the "Truthers" so we know against whom all of these arguments are being made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT