ADVERTISEMENT

@GMU Game Thread - Sat 230PM - USA Network

Got our ass handed to us today. Time to start another winning streak. Stuff happens. Not surprising, other than the score.
Why is it not surprising? Leader in the conference, chance to seal sole possession of regular season championship (if Loyola wins they are co-Champs) and its “not surprising” the team came out flat as hell, and got blown out. Im surprised. Only one reason someone would not be surprised.

what an unmitigated disaster. Head coach on down through every player who was on the court.

This game is Exhibit 1 through 1000 why. you sometimes need specific plays to get your best shooter looks. We ran the offense and ran it some more and then ran it again for good measure and they picked up Jordan 65 feet from the hoop, doubled him on every touch and somehow he went 35m with 2 FGA. When he doesn't get shots, he presses to make plays elsewhere which is not what we want or need and he turned it over a ton.

Anytime he subbed out, Mason went 1-3-1 and we lazily fell for the trap of having our worst 3 point shooters take them on key possessions.

Hope it is a wake up call.

As someone said, odds on at large were extremely low already, now exactly zero point zero. NET was never improving. So take this as motivation to play tougher, harder, smarter and coach a better game. The passivity was painful to watch today, especially as Mason scored at the rim or kicked to 3 point shooters all game. Bring some fire and figure out how to get King looks no matter what they throw at him.

So who is 7, 8, 9? Of St Joe, Bonnies, and GMU?

what an unmitigated disaster. Head coach on down through every player who was on the court.

This game is Exhibit 1 through 1000 why. you sometimes need specific plays to get your best shooter looks. We ran the offense and ran it some more and then ran it again for good measure and they picked up Jordan 65 feet from the hoop, doubled him on every touch and somehow he went 35m with 2 FGA. When he doesn't get shots, he presses to make plays elsewhere which is not what we want or need and he turned it over a ton.

Anytime he subbed out, Mason went 1-3-1 and we lazily fell for the trap of having our worst 3 point shooters take them on key possessions.

Hope it is a wake up call.

As someone said, odds on at large were extremely low already, now exactly zero point zero. NET was never improving. So take this as motivation to play tougher, harder, smarter and coach a better game. The passivity was painful to watch today, especially as Mason scored at the rim or kicked to 3 point shooters all game. Bring some fire and figure out how to get King looks no matter what they throw at him.
How is it possible that Jordan King has 10 points and takes only 12 shots across back to back games? Since the first VCU game there have been several games where the opponent have successfully schemed to severely limit him and Mooney has not had an answer. We will not win one game in the A10 tournament when he scores 10 points or less.

Reactions: Eight Legger
How is it possible that Jordan King has 10 points and takes only 12 shots across back to back games? Since the first VCU game there have been several games where the opponent have successfully schemed to severely limit him and Mooney has not had an answer. We will not win one game in the A10 tournament when he scores 10 points or less.
You are right, we could never beat St Joe if he scores 10 or less…

I couldn’t see anything on the replay. I think the Mason guys were celebrating and Walz just walked right into them. Taunting I suppose.
They were jostling for position under the hoop and Walz ended up with his arms wrapped around Henry from behind. Henry didn't take kindly to it and threw Walz off him a bit and they had a few words. Walz seemed to stay under control but Henry started to get riled.

Reactions: urfan1
I couldn’t see anything on the replay. I think the Mason guys were celebrating and Walz just walked right into them. Taunting I suppose.
Mike grabbed Henry around the waist on prior play, they did not like it and went after him wen play was over.

Was that in the A10 tournament? Thought that starts for us on Thursday.
Did Covid cancel all the games before the tournament this year? I thought they were played.

i agree we wont win a weekend game without King playing average or better…

They were jostling for position under the hoop and Walz ended up with his arms wrapped around Henry from behind. Henry didn't take kindly to it and threw Walz off him a bit and they had a few words. Walz seemed to stay under control but Henry started to get riled.
I guess you guys rewound the tape. The replay USA showed only showed the halfcourt “discussion”. Thanks for the correction.

Tough game. Our guys looked tired. We have the #1 seed. I have a feeling we will see Mason again in the tournament.

CM hasnt even tried. Its the proven formula to beat this team and coaching has no answers for it.

CM hasnt even tried. It’s the proven formula to beat this team and coaching has no answers for it.
Um - I think Wed night was the answer of what happens when either Jordan is cold shooting or he isn’t getting open … Either Jordan on Thursday gets back to the King we have seen all season or he doesn’t and we need the 4 other starters in double digits and Jordan with 4-6 assists

CM hasnt even tried. Its the proven formula to beat this team and coaching has no answers for it.
Overall this has been Mooney's best coaching job from portalling to team building and playing the right combinations. But this is a concern. We have seen it down the stretch down the season with lack of adjustments to the other team clamping on King. He has had some other worldly shooting performances with guys in his face to bail us.

Good news is that hopefully we got that one out our system now instead of clunker in A10 tourney.
I'm still miffed that we are not sole A10 champions. Oh well.

If the Giants and Eagles have the same record but Eagles have the tie breaker beating the Giants twice they both ar NFC East champs? So you could have 9 NFC champs in 6 years?

We're the champs, Loyola is grasping at straws to sell merch. F 'em. We owned them at their place, end of story.
Hard for me to get worked up at co-sharing with the Ramblers. I sort of view the A10 as a bit like the brilliant Axis and Allies board game and think we are building a growing alliance with Loyola and Davidson and maybe Bonnie since their fans are crazy fun to party with … versus the Evil empire of Dayton / VCU/ SLU.

We've got a banner hanging in the Robins Center that says we were 1985 ECAC South regular season champs even though it was a tie with Navy who swept us and got the 1-seed in the tourney.

Anyway...

Did they explain the 7-8-9 tiebreaker? Will there be a third official bracket?

Did they explain the 7-8-9 tiebreaker? Will there be a third official bracket?
"The Hawks, Bonnies and George Mason all tied for seventh, and seeds were determined by the league’s three-team tiebreaker procedure, based on combined results against Richmond and Loyola Chicago."

Bona was 1–1, Mason was 1–3, and St. Joe's was 0–3.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
"The Hawks, Bonnies and George Mason all tied for seventh, and seeds were determined by the league’s three-team tiebreaker procedure, based on combined results against Richmond and Loyola Chicago."

Bona was 1–1, Mason was 1–3, and St. Joe's was 0–3.
I thought it is based on combined results against the highest common opponent.
so highest equals A10 record not A10 tourney seed…

Um - I think Wed night was the answer of what happens when either Jordan is cold shooting or he isn’t getting open … Either Jordan on Thursday gets back to the King we have seen all season or he doesn’t and we need the 4 other starters in double digits and Jordan with 4-6 assists
This…Jordan had another off night. They pretty much face guarded him all night. It isn’t as simple as people are saying get more shots. I would say make more bball plays. Dji had like 3 buckets in a row, I say give it back to him and let’s see if he stays hot. If not try something else. But I thought Dji was getting going but after that 3rd bucket I think he got one more shot which was a 3. Idk I’m not too pressed about the loss. The NET is trash and we should be considered this is a tourney team. We had to win the tourney anyway so why not go do it. 🕷️🏀

vcu and UMASS face-guarded him too, and it didn't go well for us those two times. The second vcu game was better because Quinn got going early. I think that's the key, because we don't seem to have a plan otherwise for his to get King going when this happens. I guess not every team has the pieces to do this effectively, so that's a silver lining.

I'm not really sure who I want in that first game. Hope they play a 3OT 125-124 game. St. Joe's seems like a better matchup for us because they'll just be jacking up threes all game. Mason is just annoying.

Flush it and forget it. And pray The King doesn’t have any more performances like this waiting for us in Brooklyn or it will be a train wreck.
Right! Flush it and forget it. I’m not surprised by the final score. After what the team had done in the last weeks, the team was probably done. Let’s hope they show up fresh and inspired in Brooklyn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT