ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Thread, Spiders invade Coastal Carolina

Whoever was calling plays today didn't event give our guys a chance to compete, very disappointing game to have in the 2nd round of the playoffs. It's amazing how good this team can look in some weeks and how bad it can in others.

Originally posted by ur2K:
Whoever was calling plays today didn't event give our guys a chance to compete, very disappointing game to have in the 2nd round of the playoffs. It's amazing how good this team can look in some weeks and how bad it can in others.
It is the old Myster better known a Mickey Mouse. It has been up and down. Proud to make it to this point, Did want the team meet those guys up in Fargo. .

This game reminded me of the game against Lehigh in 1998. Both times the offensive coaches didn't recognize where we had the advantage and where they had the advantage. Therefore our game plan played to their advantage.

Disappointing to not play our best game at the end and thought our O game plan against them was pretty awful. Our D just had to be on the field way too much. Winning games like this starts with controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, and we just did not come even close to doing that. Can only hope coaches take the offseason to figure out some things, or next season will be very tough.

Wish all the best for our Seniors and thanks for all your great work in getting us back to the playoffs. Know it's been a long road.

OC had no response to Coastal blitz.Strauss lack of mobility was perfect for their blitz all day.Their DLine was small but they compensated for their continuos blitzing.Oline was outnumbered on most plays.Wall Street guy scouted and out coached us.

16 UR Drives never started outside UR 30:Average all drives-inside 20

RICHMOND 1st R22
RICHMOND 1st R05
RICHMOND 1st R20
RICHMOND 1st R16
AVG. R15
RICHMOND 2nd R03
RICHMOND 2nd R18
RICHMOND 2nd R10
RICHMOND 2nd R35
AVG. R15
RICHMOND 3rd R22
RICHMOND 3rd R24
RICHMOND 3rd R27
RICHMOND 3rd R30
AVG. R25
RICHMOND 4th R10
RICHMOND 4th R20
RICHMOND 4th R20
RICHMOND 4th R07
AVG. R18

Coastal punter put 4 of 8 punts inside 20.

If we field punts the starting position would have been better. I realize we don't want to turn it over on a muffed catch, but why even put a guy back there if he's never going to field it. You'd think we would try to block more punts. Just yet another year where we missed on special teams.

it was not so much us as it was them. they had two weeks to figure out a game plan and that included sending coaches to see us in person, something we could not do. all we had was probably a couple of tapes they had to give us. they came up with a game plan and it was the right one particularly on defense and we never adjusted to it. they took away our quick outs by covering us tight out there, then blitzed. because our quick throws were covered MS had to hang on to the ball just long enough for the blitz to be in his face. to be honest, Joe Gibbs, never adjusted to the same thing being done by the raiders in the super bowl and he was a pretty darn good coach. if someone is kicking your butt, better figure a way to turn things the other way, we did not. all the credit in the world to them, they not only had a good plan, they executed it and that is what it is all about.

we made the playoffs for the first time in a while, we had another winning season and we beat w&m, all in all, a season i can live with and really hope that we have gotten the program back on an even keel and we can go forward as a playoff contender though we lose a lot of great seniors.

That week off made a difference as well. They were fresh and CC coaches came up with a good game plan. Even when we adjusted so,ewhat in the 2nd half, our defense was wore down by then and they were able to run on us. Our defense was on the field for 51 plays in the first half. Almost a whole game. They executed their game plan well. While disappointed by the loss, love the effort the boys put in. They fought to the end and had a very good season.

would imagine that tight ends remained in most of the day attempting to block, though it did not seem to help too much. maybe need to keep some backs in to help with the bliz as well.

Don't know of a tight end in the country that would transfer to this program to block 99% of the time. They average 1 pass thrown to a game. The OC just doesn't use them. Good luck to all the Spider players in the future. The seniors had a lot of success, especially the last 3 years. Hiring Scott set this program back 3 years, its a shame. They all leave with a UR sheepskin, which is more important to furthering their success in life than any number of wins. Good luck to all!!

I'd like to see our defensive backs at least be in the same zip code as opposition receivers.

I think our DB's had to play with a cushion to protect our safeties in pass coverage. Lot of grabbing on deep plays the last two years when they got isolated. I think this also effected our ability to blitz.

^^^ bingo jpo.

Devil is right as well. Word is they want a TE transfer but not sure who would transfer in. Our offense just doesn't use the TE in the passing game. Our offense is heaven for WR's but it might as well be the wishbone if you are a TE.

IIRC, wasn't Streeter, or Rocco, labelled a bit as running the spread offense. I thought we wondered if we would be switching to that over time when they arrived. And typically the spread offense does not utilize the tight end as much. So since our offensive minds come from a background of not using the tight ends very much, then they're not likely to want to use the tight ends very much. I would be in favor of using the tight ends more, if for no other reason that in our most successful season we used them a great deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT