ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day: Spiders @ vcu

mr.spider

Team Manager
Nov 18, 2003
Huge game! Win this and we should be feeling really good about our position. GO SPIDERS! Keep up the great work, ladies!

Reactions: urfan1
Crush their will with the strength of 1,000 bulldozers. Bury them beneath an avalanche of three-pointers. Step on their throats with the force of an NFL team wearing steel aeration cleats. No mercy!

Spiders turned it over 7 times in the first quarter to fall behind 19–7. They’ve cut the deficit to 5 as VCU went scoreless in the first six minutes of play in the second. Neither team shooting well.

I turned this game off when we got down by 9 cause I sat down for dinner. I think they did better without me watching it. I’ll have to see if Peacock lets you watch it after the fact like ESPN+ does.

Suck on that, lanmbs! We came into your building and OWNED you worse than we did in ours. You have been SWEPT. You have no chance at winning the league now. And your AD is still a clownshow. Enjoy looking up at us the rest of the season, losers.

VCU at #73 NET would be a Q1 win for us, but they'll undoubtedly slip a few spots into Q2 range in the morning.

Mason also lost tonight, giving us and Joe's two games separation over the rest of the field. We still have two tough games against Mason and Duquesne. The other three should be easy wins on paper, but still gotta prove it on the court.

Yep - VCU dropped 5 slots to 78 and the Spiders gained one slot to 49. Our four losses and their NET through games played 2/14/24:

Duke- 22
Michigan State- 23
Villanova- 39
Duquesne- 132

Women's NET is even worse than the men's. How do you go on the road to a top 75 team that only has 3 losses, win handily and only move up one spot? Absurd.

Keeping an eye on women's bracketology. Creme has us in as the auto bid at an 11-seed at the moment. Amazes me that a 23–2 St. Joe's squad is in the first four out. Mason is in the next four out, and a very solid VCU team is nowhere to be found.

College Sports Madness hasn't updated since 2/13, when they had St. Joe's in the auto spot as a 12 and the Spiders in the first four out. The Spiders were in the last four in for the previous week, but apparently shellacking URI and GW wasn't enough to keep them in.

Her Hoops Stats has the Spiders in with the auto at a 12, while St Joe's is last four in at an 11-seed play-in.

CBS hasn't updated since 2/10, but has the Spiders with the auto at an 11 seed and St. Joe's at-large at a 10 seed.

Women's NET is even worse than the men's. How do you go on the road to a top 75 team that only has 3 losses, win handily and only move up one spot? Absurd.
Because it's the 26th game of the season. And once you're towards the top, there is less room to climb. There are other good teams, too.

I love how we've done this season! Keep it up, Spiders!

I'm so torn up about this that it will be difficult to sleep. From all the laughing I'll be doing. fvcu
I haven't studied their schedule carefully, but with only 4 losses, I don't know how they're not close to bid consideration.

The women's tournament is even worse than the men's when it comes to mistreatment of mid-majors. They have to get 11 or 12 SEC and 11 or 12 Big Ten teams into the field.

We hold on to win 75-71, going 17-for-17 from the foul line.

Last edited:
Is there an NCAA payout for the women's teams that make the Tourney?

The women’s hoops championship media contract is just bundled in with a bunch of other championships. They’ve looked at breaking it out on a standalone basis (where it would be probably 10x–20x smaller than the men’s contract), which would make it easier to set up direct payouts, but apparently it hasn’t been found feasible yet.

They get expenses covered, but it was only just a few years ago that the NCAA was called out for providing them with pathetic support facilities while at the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT