ADVERTISEMENT

Early A10 Predictions

The beat goes on.
I have zero issue with our ranking at 12. He is 100% correct that even if Tyler returns, this is exactly where we finished last year. Burton simply can't hide all of our faults and roster issues. King is nice pick-up but again our roster is simply not all that talented, we lack depth and our coach has shown when he has a ton of talent still underperforms, I think we see just how bad he can be with a roster of non top talent.

The top of the rankings our crazy. Fordham, number 1 in the league, come on man.

I have zero issue with our ranking at 12. He is 100% correct that even if Tyler returns, this is exactly where we finished last year. Burton simply can't hide all of our faults and roster issues. King is nice pick-up but again our roster is simply not all that talented, we lack depth and our coach has shown when he has a ton of talent still underperforms, I think we see just how bad he can be with a roster of non top talent.

The top of the rankings our crazy. Fordham, number 1 in the league, come on man.
That is 4 spots above where I have us finishing next year with the current roster.

The two interesting teams on here. St. Joes being a top tier team next year. I think he is correct that they have the talent, but next year could be a make or break year for Lange at St. Joes. This is his time to capitalize and have one good season and get an extension or possibly move on from St. Joes if they have an unbelievable run.

Other surprising, but no so surprising - VCU. They lose their entire coaching staff and basically their entire roster -but doesn't matter - they still are picked top half of the league, and I honestly don't think anyone would be surprised if they battled for top spot next year in the A10.

Reactions: Ram Bal
Yep, VCU lost everybody - but they have continued to capitalize and build a program since that F4 run. Lose coach, lose players - program hires motivated coach - and bringing in really good talent. If they land this french guy, they have hit a home run this offseason.

Meanwhile this is one of the most annoying offseasons I can remember. While I don't expect Mooney to adjust well to changes, last offseason I thought he did as well as possible for him in the portal. This year, with NIL - it just seems impossible to finish off the roster. Love the King pick up, but we don't seem in the game for other impact guys. Hopefully can land Langford - and Boyden can continue to establish a defensive mindset.

certainly frustrating that things aren't moving quicker, but King looks like a heck of a pickup. it ain't over 'til it's over.

Other surprising, but no so surprising - VCU. They lose their entire coaching staff and basically their entire roster -but doesn't matter - they still are picked top half of the league, and I honestly don't think anyone would be surprised if they battled for top spot next year in the A10.

we all know how this dog and pony show plays out

Reactions: whampas
….VCU. They lose their entire coaching staff and basically their entire roster -but doesn't matter - they still are picked top half of the league, and I honestly don't think anyone would be surprised if they battled for top spot next year in the A10.
If these rankings hold true, it is more of an indictment on the quality of the A10 in my opinion. How good can a conference be if you can blow up a team and contend in the upper echelon in one year with a new coach and essentially an entirely new team?

If these rankings hold true, it is more of an indictment on the quality of the A10 in my opinion. How good can a conference be if you can blow up a team and contend in the upper echelon in one year with a new coach and essentially an entirely new team?
I don’t know.

If Mark Few left for the A10 and brought his entire roster with him, contending wouldn’t seem a stretch…

Reactions: urfan1
Just saw this and Torvik presently not impressed with Spiders hopes next year. I think only saw ahead of just GW. More way too early projections but will a few here give Mooney much credit if finishing 16-15 ..... 10-8 in conference? Possibly another banner raising. Please Tyler come back and someone show him the money.

Just saw this and Torvik presently not impressed with Spiders hopes next year. I think only saw ahead of just GW. More way too early projections but will a few here give Mooney much credit if finishing 16-15 ..... 10-8 in conference? Possibly another banner raising. Please Tyler come back and someone show him the money.
Wow, Southall and Weaver with more contribution than Bigelow, Tanner or Burton…

I can’t begin to take any preseason rankings at all seriously right now given the shape of most rosters. Lots of filling out to do.

Of course if we had to play today with the roster on hand I think it would be pretty ugly. There were some dubious choices last year for who got heavier PT that perhaps will improve our outlook this year. But I’m more pessimistic than most when it comes to preseason analysis.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I think #192 is actually optimistic if you're not including Burton, Bigelow and Tanner.

Why don't you guys just go get a bunch of great players from the transfer portal?

Yep, VCU lost everybody - but they have continued to capitalize and build a program since that F4 run. Lose coach, lose players - program hires motivated coach - and bringing in really good talent. If they land this french guy, they have hit a home run this offseason.

Meanwhile this is one of the most annoying offseasons I can remember. While I don't expect Mooney to adjust well to changes, last offseason I thought he did as well as possible for him in the portal. This year, with NIL - it just seems impossible to finish off the roster. Love the King pick up, but we don't seem in the game for other impact guys. Hopefully can land Langford - and Boyden can continue to establish a defensive mindset.

Still no Tanner or Bigelow minutes, but now...
Starters:
King 33.6 minutes
Quinn 32
Roche 29.2
Hunt 28.8
Bailey 28

and the A-10 standings seem to be in flux...

We can't find anyone stupid enough to come to Richmond where as VCU doesn't seem to have that problem.
trollyoday.jpg

It might take the best coaching of Mooney's career to get the 23/24 edition of Spider Basketball to finish better than 10th place in the A10.

The beat goes on.
Wonder where Busting Brackets would have us now.

This is starting to feel like another transitional year to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97spiderfan
This is the way that I see it, time will tell. Fasten your seatbelts.

Rough:
1) 23-24 will likely be a transitional year (as admins call it). The overall poor portal performance by the staff makes it almost a lock. .500-ish, potential to be a tad better
2) Mooney is still the coach. His middling skills have not improved. Slow to adapt, poor bench coaching, and confusion regarding player combinations will promote the usual chaos.
3) Frontcourt play may be suspect, and could be an albatross. This is not to say that there isn't potential, because I believe that there is. In my opinion, this is a real coin-toss situation. How the big men perform collectively will determine the altitude of the season in my view. Injuries COULD be an absolute disaster
4) Burton gone. I don't see it as the bullet that most on this forum do. Yes, he is a good player, BUT, I don't think that he was so great that he isn't replaceable. A challenge to replicate his production, yes. Will other's step up, we shall see??

Good:
1) Guard play is MUCH improved! This will make the overall team performance better, likely much better. King for Nelson is a major upgrade. Add Bailey, Hunt, and Trevor Smith, guard play potential is a positive in my opinion
2) Quinn, Bailey, Bigelow, and Roche are all another year more experienced. Hope springs eternal that this will translate into better overall play
3) Noyes, Roche, Bigelow, & Tanner COULD make Burton's loss a minor event. How much impact they have, and will they be mismanaged, are legitimate questions
4) A-10 is weak. While this is a negative in the big picture, it does provide an opportunity for a transitional team to win

Overall, I think that the 23-24 team will be somewhat better than last year. How much, is a legitimate discussion. I think that this team has the potential to surpass expectations.

Last edited:
Not, good analysis. Agree that Burton's playmaking, shooting, dribble penetration is very replaceable. BUT, the area we always seem to fail is bringing in some guys that have his athleticism, strength and rebounding. Noyes has great bounce. But he is thin, and his effort on D looked good - but I am not sure if he is a plus lateral defender. I think Noyes will have a good year, and likely to give us more consistent 3 point shooting. But I agree, our front court is quite thin. We really really need Quinn and Bigs to stay health, and play 30 minutes per game. We seem to keep striking out on any guys that could help, like the SMU transfer. That is a major concern. Agree between King and the returners I feel good about the guard play being better and more productive.

Not and 23 right on target. This should definitely be a year requiring CM’s ability to
use depth. Agree guard play shows more potential and success by committee, but key
is small forwards, who will give us a scoring threat. Lastly Tyler was a strong rebounder
with Bigelow close behind, but we need better team rebounding.

Fwiw I had pretty high expectations if Burton had returned. I think we were quite undervalued. And I thought Mooney may really be going for it w a King and Brown backcourt (obv missed on Brown & maybe some others). idk but he may have misjudged Burton returning. There was some optimism from ppl about it. And as result we screwed up portal targets. Part of reason I say going for it...bc IF not this year then when? U r in year 19. We would have 4 strong grad guys - Burton, King, Bigs, Quinn, maybe add 1 more. There is very little depth for 24-25. Due to poor recent recruiting. U would be losing those 4, u also have Dji with a grad transfer option next season. u have the more frequent regular transferring. This felt like an all in ncaa or bust type year to me. Now instead we might be going onto year 2 of a transitional years plural, but with no sign of a bestclassever coming thru the ranks. Of course our coach still has 4 years left on deal, tough to wrap your head around, but we've covered that already.

We can hope Trevor Smith Tanner Noyes and Walz r the next great ones that just feels like a leap right now.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Herein is the problem. The optimism is very rarely rewarded. It doesn’t mean you have to be negative but it does suggest being pragmatic.

24-7 is the only [Edited] There have been three seasons in a dozen seasons that bball has overproduced. Until we consistently overproduce I tend to temper my expectations.

Last edited:
we are already 0-2 factoring in Mooney's incredible loss rate vs VCU. Otherwise this season is gonna suck as bad as the last one and it sucks cause there's not going to be any change just more excuses. The program that once was respectable is now on pace to hit rock bottom........

Herein is the problem. The optimism is very rarely rewarded. It doesn’t mean you have to be negative but it does suggest being pragmatic.

24-7 is the only season in a dozen seasons that bball has overproduced. Until we consistently overproduce I tend to temper my expectations.
Correct.

With Burton we were below .500 last year. Not sure how we produce better next year without Burton. Reality trumps eternal optimism when the Mooney factor is applied.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT