ADVERTISEMENT

Early A10 Predictions

Herein is the problem. The optimism is very rarely rewarded. It doesn’t mean you have to be negative but it does suggest being pragmatic.

24-7 is the only season in a dozen seasons that bball has overproduced. Until we consistently overproduce I tend to temper my expectations.
What is your definition of overproduced? Can't be NCAA tourney because you didn't include 2022, as if the regular season is more important than the A-10 tourney title and 1st round dance win????

So, if it's not NCAA tourney, why wouldn't you include the NIT seasons of 2015, when we were picked 5th in the A-10 media pre season poll and finished 4th, and 2017, when the A-10 pre season polls picked us 6th and we finished 3rd?

I am not at all trying to say we have overproduced a lot and not trying to say that optimism has often been rewarded. Just simply questioning your saying we have only overproduced once in 12 years, and wondering how you can only focus on the regular season to make your point in 2022, but then not focus on the regular season in 2015 and 2017 to make your point.

What is your definition of overproduced? Can't be NCAA tourney because you didn't include 2022, as if the regular season is more important than the A-10 tourney title and 1st round dance win????

So, if it's not NCAA tourney, why wouldn't you include the NIT seasons of 2015, when we were picked 5th in the A-10 media pre season poll and finished 4th, and 2017, when the A-10 pre season polls picked us 6th and we finished 3rd?

I am not at all trying to say we have overproduced a lot and not trying to say that optimism has often been rewarded. Just simply questioning your saying we have only overproduced once in 12 years, and wondering how you can only focus on the regular season to make your point in 2022, but then not focus on the regular season in 2015 and 2017 to make your point.
I stand corrected. Three times in the most recent dozen seasons.

Torvik has 2024 projections

Minutes (which is always entertaining)

King 32.8
Quinn 31.2
Bigs 28.4
Hunt 28.0
Harris 27.2
Roche 22.4
Bailey 12.8
Smith 10.4
Noyes 4.4
Walz 2.4
Tanner 0
King 36
Bigs 34
Quinn 26
Hunt 26
Roche 24
Noyes 18
Walz 12
Harris 10

14 minutes combined for Smith, Tanner, and Dji. Just combined averages though..I could see these guys having 10+ minute games throughout the year. If one separates themselves a little, they could maybe get close to 10 a game. Smith and Tanner being a little unknown, if they are as good as I think they might be, I would expect their time to increase throughout the year, which would drop some minutes above. Not sure if Tyne or Graham will get much time this year, but with them also being a little unknown, who knows? And, all of this is based on a very early assumption that Hunt separates himself at guard, and gets big minutes. If he does not, his minutes drop, and that is more minutes for Smith, Tanner, and/or Dji.

Reactions: urfan1
I never predict minutes, but I think/hope that Torvik's 2.4 mpg projection for Walz is way off. if we didn't see Walz as a viable backup for Quinn, then we should have added a big man.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I never predict minutes, but I think/hope that Torvik's 2.4 mpg projection for Walz is way off. if we didn't see Walz as a viable backup for Quinn, then we should have added a big man.
And his 4.4 for Noyes. It looks like Torvik uses too much of the previous year to get his estimates instead of doing any research. I realize researching 350+ teams might be too difficult, but why publish something like this at all when it will likely be misleading for numerous teams?

And his 4.4 for Noyes. It looks like Torvik uses too much of the previous year to get his estimates instead of doing any research. I realize researching 350+ teams might be too difficult, but why publish something like this at all when it will likely be misleading for numerous teams?
I guarantee you torvik did absolutely 0 research for individual teams. These numbers are the result of pure modeling. everything on his website is predictive modeling.

My guesstimate:

King​
32​
Dji​
25​
Hunt​
20​
Roche​
25​
Tyne / Smith​
10​
Harris​
10​
Bigelow​
32​
Walz​
12​
Quinn​
28​
Tanner​
6​

Feel like unlike in many past seasons, there may be a lot of minutes up for grabs this year. I am saysing Tyne and Smith combined 10 minutes. That may be too many but hoping one steps up - I think it could be an either or type of situation depending who shows more early.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
My guesstimate:

King​
32​
Dji​
25​
Hunt​
20​
Roche​
25​
Tyne / Smith​
10​
Harris​
10​
Bigelow​
32​
Walz​
12​
Quinn​
28​
Tanner​
6​

Feel like unlike in many past seasons, there may be a lot of minutes up for grabs this year. I am saysing Tyne and Smith combined 10 minutes. That may be too many but hoping one steps up - I think it could be an either or type of situation depending who shows more early.

No Noyes?? And, 25 seems like a lot of minutes for Dji unless he makes some major improvements on offense.

Lets try it again:

King​
32​
Dji​
22​
Hunt​
16​
Roche​
22​
Tyne / Smith​
6​
Harris​
6​
Bigelow​
32​
Walz​
10​
Quinn​
28​
Tanner​
4​
Noyes​
22​

I am actually Noyes and Tanner play well enough to get more minutes than this.

at guard I feel like Smith and Tyne could both be good enough to push, but King's a lock at point and Hunt has a big advantage over the freshmen in experience.
but I still have Bailey starting in a Goose role until I hear otherwise.

at small forward, Noyes could end up anywhere from last year's minutes to starting and playing close to 30. yet I assume the starting SF job is Roche's to lose. and Tanner looks too impressive on tape to me to bury with no time.

Bigs starts at big forward. no idea what to do with Harris. he played an awful lot of minutes to put up so few stats. earned those minutes though. has to be a defensive stud I'm guessing. why else play him so much? so does he backup Bigs or play next to him?

Reactions: gospidersgo
I guarantee you torvik did absolutely 0 research for individual teams. These numbers are the result of pure modeling. everything on his website is predictive modeling.

Exactly. He’s got a very good site imo but a mpg prediction won’t be in his wheelhouse. Too hard when u have little mpg history of returners or new players unless they r highest level recruits. Think he’s answered this as much on his site or Twitter that there r essentially placeholders for gaps of data missing. He has our record at 15-16 & our schedule isn’t even out. But nothing wrong w that. The modeling will update as more data comes in.

So he’s def going to be off on roster projection. That said the board ain’t that much better anyway. Goose…running w the 1s…remember the poor Lasalle guy who took a beating for his 14th in league PG rankings…I’m just thinking of last year so pardon the recency bias.

I’ll add that traditionally anything re: lasalle is a good target & the running w the 1s aka offseason rumors scoop etc is a lot more fun to read.

Exactly. He’s got a very good site imo but a mpg prediction won’t be in his wheelhouse. Too hard when u have little mpg history of returners or new players unless they r highest level recruits. Think he’s answered this as much on his site or Twitter that there r essentially placeholders for gaps of data missing. He has our record at 15-16 & our schedule isn’t even out. But nothing wrong w that. The modeling will update as more data comes in.

So he’s def going to be off on roster projection. That said the board ain’t that much better anyway. Goose…running w the 1s…remember the poor Lasalle guy who took a beating for his 14th in league PG rankings…I’m just thinking of last year so pardon the recency bias.

I’ll add that traditionally anything re: lasalle is a good target & the running w the 1s aka offseason rumors scoop etc is a lot more fun to read.
That is my thought as well. Just interesting for what I believe is his first projection this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT