ADVERTISEMENT

Crutcher Update on AD Search and Leadership Reorganization

I get this to a degree, but I hate this comment. 97, don't kill me, but it's very Cooper.

UR is such a unique school. Top Liberal Arts. Good Law school. Top B-school. D-I athletics at a competitive level. It is nearly in a class of its own. I don't mind our top academic being from a "nerd school," but if I had my druthers, I'd have my AD from a P5 like Wake, Vandy, ND, Rice (?).

Actually, I wouldn't mind a bit if we had an AD from outside collegiate athletics...
how about Joe Giradi?...sorry couldn't resist...column on the Bombers letting him go mentioned his interest in a non baseball job like AD...

but he might not know anything about LAX?...

Go Spiders!

He seems like a very good fit. But I suspect if this isn't done in the next 48-72 hours he will be off the table. No way can he leave his name out there so publically for any extended period of time. If he does and then doesn't get the Richmond job, he has seriously undermined his own ability to continue to succeed at Bucknell. Not to mention, he is probably sincerely to respectful of colleagues etc. at Bucknell to do that (leave it all hanging out there) to them By Monday or Tuesday, either we are announcing him as our guy or he is making an announcement that he had some conversations with us but has withdrawn his name from consideration because he realizes he is all in on Bucknell.

I don't know the guy from Adam so this is not an accusation, but one possibility for the leak is that he (or his agent) leaked it to try and get something from Bucknell. Again, i have no reason to think that, its just crossed my mind as a possibility. Would fit with Hale's comments being so matter of fact and contradictory - - - he knows whats going on and doesn't much appreciate the guy using UR!

Another possibility (as I continue to think out loud) is that Hardt is the guy and it is a done deal and Hale is actually being honest saying it couldn't be true cause he hasn't met the Committee yet etc. because Quelly is actually making all the calls and the Committee is just for show etc. and Hale doesn't even know it (or Hale is right and Quelly is overstepping thinking its a done deal cause its what he wants). But something doesn't jive here. The story and related rumors don't get out there unless there is some truth and if there is some truth and Hale is in on the plan, he gives a much softer denial etc. He isn't just a candidate and one of the several the Committee will meet etc. He is either the guy in short order or he's out in short order.

Last edited:
It is strange that one report says that the hiring is imminent, yet Hale is quoted in the RTD saying they hadn't met with candidates yet.

So I understand from someone familiar with the situation that UR hasn’t met with any candidates at all yet, and Hale was rather agitated about this announcement. He may be a candidate but UR isn’t going to circumvent its own process.

It begs the question as to who pitched this to ESPN, it’s not good for the candidate or for UR. That person must have some credibility for this to be reported, or it was some pretty poor journalism on ESPNs part. Regardless,

Reactions: urfan1
That would demonstrate a level of subterfuge bordering on the inconceivable. “Someone” would have to bypass an entire selection committee and do so under the radar, right?

What im saying is I think Hale and his committee have been caught with their pants down and are covering. I really dont think ESPN sends that tweet without some really good Intel.

Hardt has been the guy for weeks.Hale,as a “democratic”leader,is deferring to his Committee,for not getting with all the candidates including Hardt.I can only conjecture as to who may have fed info to 950am to force the issue-to get on with getting on.Very embarrassingly sloppy stuff but not untypical for UR’s bureaucracy.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's really no way this goes well if they haven't interviewed anybody yet. Really three scenarios:

1. You bring him in for an interview now and announce quickly without interviewing anybody else. Doesn't leave him hanging, but selection committee knows they've wasted their time with the whole process.

2. You go through the whole process and slow things down with him hanging out there and the other candidates thinking they're only interviewing for show anyway. You likely go with him and the committee still thinks their time was wasted.

3. Hardt pulls out and we go through the process to find second-choice candidate.

Hardt has been the guy for weeks.Hale,as a “democratic”leader,is deferring to his Committee,for not getting with all the candidates including Hardt.I can only conjecture as to who may have fed info to 950am to force the issue-to get on with getting on.Very embarrassingly sloppy stuff but not untypical for UR’s bureaucracy.

This, unfortunately, just makes too much sense.

The biggest mystery is why Queally keeps wasting his time and money trying to lead horses to water. If he takes his ball and goes home, we're all hosed.

Strange that we would hire the search firm if this has been done because of his relation with PQ.

I'm not saying Queally is in any way related to Hardt or any other candidate.

What i am saying is that Queally has alot of money and he cares about what's going on and, at some point, he has to get sick and tired of this bumbling nonsense.

What im saying is I think Hale and his committee have been caught with their pants down and are covering. I really dont think ESPN sends that tweet without some really good Intel.
This may be accurate in this case but I wouldn't give that much credit to any press operation, including ESPN. Just look at the current news outlets. The mad rush to be first creates all kinds of misinformation.

This may be accurate in this case but I wouldn't give that much credit to any press operation, including ESPN. Just look at the current news outlets. The mad rush to be first creates all kinds of misinformation.

I really doubt there are any news outlets clamoring over being the first to report a probable candidate for Richmond's new AD.

i don't doubt it, that is their job, to be first, whether they are right or wrong, what the news is these days

I don't trust that Greg Burton has our best interest I mind when he reports. He has already burned his bridges with me...just saying.

I don't trust that Greg Burton has our best interest I mind when he reports. He has already burned his bridges with me...just saying.
Agree with you, 64. Burton is not much of a talk show host and, not that it matters, he is certainly not a UR supporter. I quit paying attention to him years ago.

Reactions: 64Spider
We all know where Greg Burton's alliegences lie. Its not like he hides them. However, he didn't pull this info out of thin air. Someone fed him it. I wonder if it is the same person who fed JOC the Keith Gill story before our athletic department was ready to pull the trigger on him going to the A-10? Seems like we have someone with our athletic department who has loose lips. If I'm Hale or Crutcher, I'm pretty pissed off that this stuff keeps getting leaked to the press before they are ready to make a formal announcement.

I know that there are a number of recent vcu grads currently employed by the athletics department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT