ADVERTISEMENT

Crutcher Update on AD Search and Leadership Reorganization

I believe it's a federal requirement that all jobs in education be posted publicly in order to attract diverse applicant pools, unless a specific waiver is granted.

Reactions: urfan1
I believe it's a federal requirement that all jobs in education be posted publicly in order to attract diverse applicant pools, unless a specific waiver is granted.
SF, believe you are correct. Good point.

True. This may sound silly, but it's also important to cast a net that is wide enough, in case the search firm does not get to everyone. The "fail safe," so to speak. There are a variety of ways to find people.

I'm not sure why diverse or diversity are dirty words in conducting our search. Let's get with the new millenium people.

I just want to hire the best candidate. No old school, no quota, no PC - just the best one.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise. If we get better candidates by being diverse in who we look at, we will be more likely to get the best candidate. It's not about being PC, it's about opening up the pool.

Reactions: wr70beh
I wasn't suggesting otherwise. If we get better candidates by being diverse in who we look at, we will be more likely to get the best candidate. It's not about being PC, it's about opening up the pool.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Still can't see how diverse means qualified . Makes no sense . Either you're qualified or you're not , no matter what your background is. The implication is the employer doesn't know who is qualified among the applicants . And needs the checkbox to properly hire who is BEST for the THEIR organization ? No

Do you even know what the definition of "diverse" is?

I think you are conflating diverse with diversity. The origin of this was the suggestion that by listing the job req we might get a more diverse applicant pool. What's bad about that? If some guy from Weber State is interested but would have never gotten a look now does and is awesome then that's a good thing.

Diversity has come to be construed as the expansion of different types of people as distinguished by, among other things, race/gender/orientation/disability/etc. I sense you object to this if it's a requirement that the candidate must be able to "check a box" that they're one or more of the above. No one is suggesting this as far as I'm aware. But we certainly shouldn't turn those people away if they're qualified.

Last edited:
Ok there is a job opening , it is advertised thru the media , someone is interested , they apply , someone looks them over and gives them yes no or maybe , based on their qualifications to get the job done . How does an opening of the pool fit in and what the heck does that even mean ??

Reactions: AnnapSpider
Ok there is a job opening , it is advertised thru the media , someone is interested , they apply , someone looks them over and gives them yes no or maybe , based on their qualifications to get the job done . How does an opening of the pool fit in and what the heck does that even mean ??
What if 38 people with equal qualifications apply instead of 3 people with equal qualifications applying? That is opening the pool of applicants. Is that not better?

Now, what actually occurs is a very different debate...

Opening of the pool = accepting more applications to consider before deciding sounds good to me . .. but having a committee seek out predetermined checkboxes in order to have the pool being called open is what I object to .
Ok I'm done .. we're going to have some big upsets this year , back to basketball

On first glance, Hardt would be a great hire.
Agreed. I don't know much about him but he has been the AD at Bucknell for 18 years. You don't stay in this type of position for that long if you aren't really good at your job. And his last two hires for head coach of the men's basketball team have been really good, Paulson and Davis. Both of which have had an uncanny success against Mooney.

Agreed. I don't know much about him but he has been the AD at Bucknell for 18 years. You don't stay in this type of position for that long if you aren't really good at your job. And his last two hires for head coach of the men's basketball team have been really good, Paulson and Davis. Both of which have had an uncanny success against Mooney.
97, check out his biography; pretty outstanding!

http://m.bucknellbison.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=209052769&DB_OEM_ID=32100&

If you can't beat them- hire them. LOL

Apparently, he's not shy about getting donors to fill the coffers. That alone makes him one step better than his predecessor .
Yes, he has a nice fundraising pedigree. I grew up in Lewisburg. Bucknell and UR are very similar schools in many ways.

If he is a candidate and this is not a done deal then I hope this kind of report does not cause him to withdraw from consideration. I don't like the way the article reads.

Would think probably close to "done deal" but the quote about not meeting with any candidates to date from Hale is puzzling; if that is the case why is this published?

It would not be the first deal to not go through because something was leaked to the media a bit too soon. Hopefully, the report is accurate because this guy seems to have an impressive resume.

Yes, he has a nice fundraising pedigree. I grew up in Lewisburg. Bucknell and UR are very similar schools in many ways.
Right on the size, private, academics(?) but is that the goal for athletics? I certainly hope our football program can stay in the top 25 area, Bucknell's not there and I really hope our basketball program can get into the top 50 pretty regularly.

Reactions: Stork3
Knows how to get basketball coach inspired to beat Richmond ...so will the reverse be true?

Right on the size, private, academics(?) but is that the goal for athletics? I certainly hope our football program can stay in the top 25 area, Bucknell's not there and I really hope our basketball program can get into the top 50 pretty regularly.
Bucknell plays in the Patriot League so this would be a step up for sure in the athletic hierarchy for him. Their hoops program has been pretty darn good (in spite of) the fact that they are in the Patriot League. I think that bodes well. As does, the 2 really successful hires he made to lead that hoops program. He apparently knows how to hire a good basketball coach.

Bucknell and UR are very similar schools in many ways.

I get this to a degree, but I hate this comment. 97, don't kill me, but it's very Cooper.

UR is such a unique school. Top Liberal Arts. Good Law school. Top B-school. D-I athletics at a competitive level. It is nearly in a class of its own. I don't mind our top academic being from a "nerd school," but if I had my druthers, I'd have my AD from a P5 like Wake, Vandy, ND, Rice (?).

Actually, I wouldn't mind a bit if we had an AD from outside collegiate athletics...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT