Connor Crabtree welcome aboard!

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
I think this deserves it own post

Another former Tulane freshman basketball player announces transfer
Updated 11:07 AM; Today 11:05 AM
NMQZ2ZXLSZFZXF2V7VDVET6J7Y.jpg

2018-19: Appeared in 30 games and made 15 starts…Averaged 7.1 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 20.8 minutes per game…Shot 65-for-150 (.433) overall, 29-for-79 (.367) beyond the 3-point arc and 53-for-66 (.803) at the free throw line…Ranked fourth on the team in scoring and second in bench scoring…Notched his first career 20-point game with 23 vs. ECU (2/23)…Led Tulane in scoring three times… Scored 17 points and went 4-for-4 from 3-point range at Wichita State (2/9)…Put up 13 points and made three 3s to go with a season-high five steals vs Towson (12/21) at the Boardwalk Battle.

Before Tulane: Selected to compete in the 2018 Josh Level Classic…Played in the 2018 RDU High School Boys All-Star Game…Played one season under head coach Lee Martin at Hargrave Military Academy in 2017-18…Scored 705 points in 33 games…Averaged 21.4 points, 4.8 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game…Scored at least 20 points on 19 different occasions while shooting 53 percent from the field and 51 percent (119-for-233) beyond the 3-point arc…Led the Tigers win the Fork Union Christmas Tournament where he scored 24 points with six assists in the first game and 20 points in the second…Helped Hargrave win the 2018 First Piedmont Corp. Invitational behind his 17.5 points and four assists per game…Also named to the President’s Commendation List for his performance in the classroom…Lettered three years at Orange High School in Hillsborough and was named Big Eight Player of the Year, District VI Player of the Year and an all-state selection by the Associated Press as a senior in 2017…Averaged 26 points, five rebounds, four assists and just shy of four steals per game to lead the Panthers to a 23-7 overall record, an 11-1 mark in league play and a trip to the third round of the NCHSAA 3A tournament during his final year…Averaged 23 points, five boards, four assists and 1.5 steals en route to receiving all-conference and all-district honors as a junior.

Facts: Son of Keith and Carol Crabtree…Older brother (Keegan) lettered four years at NCAA Division II Lees-McRae College…Left-handed but shoots the basketball with his right hand...Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in health and wellness.

Last edited:
Seems like a good get. What position does he play? Kenpom says mostly a 3 with some minutes at the 2.

Among the recent names -- Joe Bamisile, Braden Norris, Connor Crabtree, and Daman Tate, I think he was my favorite. Tallest by two inches and has already proven himself at the Division I level. Good thing we got him too, because I don't think we had any other good options here after missing out on the other three... but it all worked out for the best.

Now we just need to get a legitimate PF and this will be an A+ off-season. Connor Crabtree, Tyler Burton, and the return of our top 7 is a great start.

Last edited:
Reactions: UR80sfan
Excellent get and if from the stats I see Connor doesn't start next year, will be the best 6th man the team could ask for. Like getting a quality frosh next year that can PLAY immediately. KUDOS big time to Coach Mooney!

This is a good get for us. Crabtree has really nice length for a guard, I think he'll play the 3 for us. I like list of initial offerings (it was interesting that he chose Tulane over Cinci and Memphis, considering Tulane is a train wreck of a program. Also like that both Boise and Nevada had him in for visits after he announced he is transferring. Both of those programs are very solid (Nevada is more than solid).

This is exactly the type of recruiting battle we need to win for every single slot on our roster.

This is a good get for us. Crabtree has really nice length for a guard, I think he'll play the 3 for us. I like list of initial offerings (it was interesting that he chose Tulane over Cinci and Memphis, considering Tulane is a train wreck of a program. Also like that both Boise and Nevada had him in for visits after he announced he is transferring. Both of those programs are very solid (Nevada is more than solid).

This is exactly the type of recruiting battle we need to win for every single slot on our roster.
Tulane is comparable to UR in academics. Larger private school, but very hard to get into and expensive. Looks like Mr. Crabtree is looking for a nice degree. More power to him.

Good get. Makes us an even deeper team 2 years from now, and a great piece to have, especially down the road in 2021-22 when we will lose 5 likely starters to graduation.

Tulane is comparable to UR in academics. Larger private school, but very hard to get into and expensive. Looks like Mr. Crabtree is looking for a nice degree. More power to him.

Geography is different - our campus is less prone to flooding....................

Arguably the most sought-after recruit of Mooney's tenure in terms of the caliber of programs that had interest at one point or another.

Admittedly I haven't done my research, but a part-time starter off a team that won only 4 games and lost their last 21 games is Mooney's most sought after recruit? Maybe I'm gun shy because the bar has been set so low in recent years....

I hope my gut is wrong and the rest of you are right.

I hear you Rick, but as I usually do on recruits, I'm going to give Mooney a lot of credit on this one. As noted, after his PG year and commitment to Tulane, he had some big dogs after him. Looking at his h.s. tape, kid has some bounce, can shoot it (and 80% FT last year is nice), and can pass it too.
But yes, I have been burned by the Kovien's and the long list too. Crabtree seems to have the athletic ability to play some D, if Mooney decides to emphasize that again. Very good pick up.
Mooney's grade for this offseason recruiting is incomplete though. Need a 6'9" athlete that is a "help now" player - grad transfer ideally. Mooney has the potential for an "A" grade, but if he strikes out on another interior guy for this season that could go down to a "C".

I hope Sal is lifting and doing Fezz's program to increase his quick hops this offseason. And call up TJ and get some workout connections from Nancy.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Crabtree's game makes me think of Greg Robbins, hopefully he will be ready to play right away, unlike GR who took until his senior year to become a significant contributor. But it would appear that CM pulled a rabbit out of the hat on this one.

Tulane is a much more selective institution that UR, their acceptance rate is around 23% where UR is around 33%. Crabtree should be a good fit academically.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

If the new coach after next year can use him properly and not put him in the doghouse immediately like Mooney does then it's a win. Only if we get a new coach after next season, though.

Reactions: keefusb
Mooney's grade for this offseason recruiting is incomplete though. Need a 6'9" athlete that is a "help now" player - grad transfer ideally. Mooney has the potential for an "A" grade, but if he strikes out on another interior guy for this season that could go down to a "C".
you've seen how the grad transfer scene plays out long enough to know that any 6'9" "help now" athlete who can walk and chew gum at the same time will end up at a high major. we're not going to land anyone that will "help now". in my opinion.

but I think we have 10 for sure guys who can definitely play, plus Tomas who might. our quality depth is the best it's been in a long time. I know you won't like it but I think we're done. we'll fill that last spot with a big like Matt Zona or Burke Smith next year.

as for the current class, even if it stays at Burton and Crabtree this class is an A. those look like 2 very good players.

Reactions: VT4700
Admittedly I haven't done my research, but a part-time starter off a team that won only 4 games and lost their last 21 games is Mooney's most sought after recruit? Maybe I'm gun shy because the bar has been set so low in recent years....

I hope my gut is wrong and the rest of you are right.
Rick, we are grading on the Mooney curve here. You have to compare him to the prospect of signing JMA, Kweisi, Kovien and other recent signees, who literally no one has ever heard of until we sign them.

At least, some other quality programs were after this dude. I would disagree that he is the most sought after Mooney recruit. Buck had offers from UVA, Cincinnatti, Maryland. Sherod had some nice offers as well.

You have so valid points though. Crabtree had a nice freshman year that would compare statwise to what Jake did for us. I do think because Crabtree is 6'6 and has some athleticism that he has a much higher upside than Jake. We needed height, we needed length, we need someone with some hops, couple that with a good FT percentage, good 3 pt shooter, I think Crabtree is a good get. Is he some program changing recruit, NO. Solid pick-up though.

you've seen how the grad transfer scene plays out long enough to know that any 6'9" "help now" athlete who can walk and chew gum at the same time will end up at a high major. we're not going to land anyone that will "help now". in my opinion.

but I think we have 10 for sure guys who can definitely play, plus Tomas who might. our quality depth is the best it's been in a long time. I know you won't like it but I think we're done. we'll fill that last spot with a big like Matt Zona or Burke Smith next year.

as for the current class, even if it stays at Burton and Crabtree this class is an A. those look like 2 very good players.
I'm going to be a hard grader, because too many times in the past 8 years I have identified a weakness/hole in our roster that indeed played out, and was a result of Moon not being aggressive enough, utilizing the transfer market, or just getting beat on recruits. Or not in touch with the transfers - like when ANO left. So, he needs that guy this year to get an A. Burton/Crabtree both look like players - well done - but we need one more guy.

Standford G/F grad transfer Marcus Sheffield just committed to..... Elon. Averaged about 6 PPG last year, but scored 18 against UCLA and has a 35-point game under his belt. This is the type of grad transfer we should be able to land -- someone coming from a great academic school who had a little success but could do better with more minutes. But I'm sure there are many excuses why we don't get this type of guy.

Standford G/F grad transfer Marcus Sheffield just committed to..... Elon. Averaged about 6 PPG last year, but scored 18 against UCLA and has a 35-point game under his belt. This is the type of grad transfer we should be able to land -- someone coming from a great academic school who had a little success but could do better with more minutes. But I'm sure there are many excuses why we don't get this type of guy.
I have seen quite a few of these types going to mid majors, I have not posted for fear of VT and spiderman writing pages and pages as to why they are not good prospects, but yes I do see them - despite that fact that sman says they are not out there.. And yes, most of these guys are much better prospects than Kwesi or JMA, but again we have the defeatist attitude that we cannot land them. I am not worried about the posters attitude, but seems Mooney is not able to land them. I would give Mooney an A- if he could land a Sheffield type. The Vandy big man went mid major too. I saw a nice story on how the coach that landed him pulled him up on the synergy app and watched a bunch of tape, then went and jumped on a plane to see him immediately. And that coach is about 20 years older than Moon.

think you're mis-paraphrasing me. I said the 6'9" athletic "help now" guys all go high major. you said we need a big guy now, right? not a guard? and when have I ever said a guy we wanted but didn't land wasn't a good prospect?

as usual, there's a story when a good grad transfer goes to a mid major. Elon's new coach was an assistant at Stanford and recruited Sheffield. coached him there too. then took an assistant job at Ohio State before getting the HC job at Elon in March.

Sheffield's following a guy he knows and trusts. nice get for Elon. this is an example of the benefit (in the future) of hiring a P6 assistant as opposed to a lower-major HC.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Exactly. Would be nice to bring in some coaches who have coached elsewhere and developed relationships. We've seen a bunch of kids this off-season end up following them. No one is following Steve Thomas or Rob Jones to UR.

Or the benefit of hiring assistants that have varied experience and a recruting network and contacts. That is the bigger issue. None of our coaches seem to have much of a network.

The Rob Jones network is large and growing. He should have substantial pull within the Salem Georgia high school community and Huntsville Alabama D-3 type of players.

Reactions: keefusb and KWeaver
Among the recent names -- Joe Bamisile, Braden Norris, Connor Crabtree, and Daman Tate, I think he was my favorite. Tallest by two inches and has already proven himself at the Division I level. Good thing we got him too, because I don't think we had any other good options here after missing out on the other three... but it all worked out for the best.

Now we just need to get a legitimate PF and this will be an A+ off-season. Connor Crabtree, Tyler Burton, and the return of our top 7 is a great start.

I think I'll now add "Marcus Sheffield" to the above list.

For me, the title of this thread shows up as:
Connor Crabtree welcome aboard!

I guess for others it shows up as:
Complain about the recruits we didn't get!
I've commented several times in this thread about Crabtree. I like him a lot. I was just responding to other comments about why we can't get grad transfers and gave an example of a lesser school that got a good one.

One thing that I don't think has been talked about (unless I missed it here) is why is he transferring? Did Tulane change coaches? Otherwise I'm wondering why he left...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT