ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mooney – this is who he is

Some relative of Tyler Burton eviscerated Mooney on the team Facebook page…

Which post were they replying to, I am not seeing it. Can you post it here? I did find this gem however --

"Mooney is the best coach this program will ever have. All you know-it-alls don’t have a clue what it takes to recruit and Coach at UR. Any Coach with a couple of years success would be gone to a bigger program or conference. Mooney is staying. The rest of you can leave whenever you’re ready.
🕷
🏆
🏀
"

Which post were they replying to, I am not seeing it. Can you post it here? I did find this gem however --

"Mooney is the best coach this program will ever have. All you know-it-alls don’t have a clue what it takes to recruit and Coach at UR. Any Coach with a couple of years success would be gone to a bigger program or conference. Mooney is staying. The rest of you can leave whenever you’re ready.
🕷
🏆
🏀
"
Yeah I read that today too when o was looking for it. I threw up a little to start my morning. How can you be that delusional? Is something in the water in Glen Allen, VA?

🕷
🏆
🏀
"
We should settle for mediocrity as any good coach would win for a couple seasons and then leave. That’s the actual logic. Wtf!

This was the post:

I now understand why the billboard was up he really is a emotionless coach he lacks passion love and enjoyment for the game the guys play as flat as his personality is 🤷🏾‍♀️ unacceptable with a team like this there’s no reason they shouldn’t be making it to the NCAA tournament they’ll probably make it to the NIT again you’re not in the tournament tournament Mooney has no fight in him, and that’s something a coach period can NOT lack
Embarrassing 😳

This was the post:

I now understand why the billboard was up he really is a emotionless coach he lacks passion love and enjoyment for the game the guys play as flat as his personality is 🤷🏾‍♀️ unacceptable with a team like this there’s no reason they shouldn’t be making it to the NCAA tournament they’ll probably make it to the NIT again you’re not in the tournament tournament Mooney has no fight in him, and that’s something a coach period can NOT lack
Embarrassing 😳
Found it, she originally had posted "he really is a terrible coach" but edited it to be emotionless instead. You can't always equate feelings of relatives to feelings of the player but in this instance is probably appropriate.

🕷
🏆
🏀
"
Sadly, some of us are ready.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
This was the post:

Embarrassing 😳
Interestingly, the lady who posted this scored 1500 points in high school, got a schollie to Virginia Tech to play but contracted bacterial meningitis and had both her legs and arms amputated (I think I remember that). At any rate, this isn't some rando relative, who doesn't know squat about basketball. She was a baller and D-1 women's player.

May be that the reason that Mooney has looked so downtrodden the last couple of press conferences is that he knows (or strongly suspects) that Burton is thinking about options next year.

May be that the reason that Mooney has looked so downtrodden the last couple of press conferences is that he knows (or strongly suspects) that Burton is thinking about options next year.
Tyler sees the same disaster coming next year as we all do. I guess he would have two years left if he wanted it.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
Wow, that is a terrible story, just googled it. Kudos for her for keeping on, and having passion for life and the sport. Hope the Matt Smith and BB brigade don't attack her.
Might want to check Matt Smith latest retweet. Think we may have another recent convert seeing the light:)

Tyler's aunt bagging on Mooney for lack of emotion, etc.

Did he unretweet? Latest stuff I see on his account is all about handshake lines.

Still there. Just not as recent as that stuff. He retweeted 1 of the Collin Zucker tweets.

Reactions: 97spiderfan

🕷
🏆
🏀
"
Jeez, I guess this person didnt look into the history of UR bball at all. No NCAA’s in 11 years and a current team with the most experience in the history of NCAA having a mediocre season, and thats THE BEST UR can offer. Give me a break, pal. Its you who need to move on.

I read their comment to say "Mooney is the best coach UR will have that nobody else will want. It's difficult to recruit and coach at UR (Geez you think we don't understand that, after all we pay over $!mill a year to do it). Any Coach with a couple of years success would be sought after and gone, maybe, they might actually like coaching at UR. But if they are that's the life of a mid-major. Mooney is staying and the rest of you can go" -- I bet you Aced your leadership class, way to build unity.

I found the one gentleman’s comments to be sorely lacking in substance yet vehemently in support of his position. That alone is really strange.

But the weirdest part to me is the attitude that “if you don’t like it go be a fan elsewhere”. At some point folks who think like that will get their wish and have a poorly followed and generally underfunded program. Blech.

The people who still support this coach must have no aspirations in life. They’re content with whatever happens to come their way.

I read their comment to say "Mooney is the best coach UR will have that nobody else will want. It's difficult to recruit and coach at UR (Geez you think we don't understand that, after all we pay over $!mill a year to do it). Any Coach with a couple of years success would be sought after and gone, maybe, they might actually like coaching at UR. But if they are that's the life of a mid-major. Mooney is staying and the rest of you can go" -- I bet you Aced your leadership class, way to build unity.
Did I read correctly that he said he was a player under Lou Goetz? If so, he seems to be under the impression nothing has changed in the basketball world since…

Well of the 150 plus comments on the FB page, this was the only one in support of Mooney. And as happens on FB, he got assailed with responses to his comments, so me thinks this gentleman is in the minority.

I found the one gentleman’s comments to be sorely lacking in substance yet vehemently in support of his position. That alone is really strange.

But the weirdest part to me is the attitude that “if you don’t like it go be a fan elsewhere”. At some point folks who think like that will get their wish and have a poorly followed and generally underfunded program. Blech.
Yeah, that is what I find most frustrating about some of the few remaining Mooney supporters (Bob Black made a similar sentiment last year) is they are basically telling the rest of the fan base, eff off, go find someone else to root for and spend your money. To me that seems, antithetical to building a successful program with broad based support in the community and from alumni. Also from a business perspective telling a large segment of your customer base that they are not welcome anymore and encouraging them to spend their money elsewhere, seems like a dead end philosophy.

Reactions: Zeeter
Yes, the fact that public Mooney truther no. 3 retweeted this is giving me hope that support in the RC is waning.
Getting your ass handed to you by your rival with a bunch of 5th and 6th years players will do that for you. I think the VCU game was obviously the breaking point for most of the remaining vanguard of Mooneyism.

Curious, did Bob even talk about the game on Monday on his show. I know he did A LOT on the Wisconsin-Michigan game, talked about the UVA win, didn't listen to the whole show. Did he just not talk about our ass whooping?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT