ADVERTISEMENT

Campus Master Plan

I am no greenie, but I can't understand why the need for all of the new buildings. The trees on the west end of campus, particularly the the Westhampton side of the lake, really made the campus feel like you were in the mountains. Now it's like a shopping center. They need to consider the overall aethetic. Same by Fraternity Row. Hving your lodge front on a 1,000 spot parking lot is pretty lame.

heck, we are constructing all new buildings green so why not take into account our trees as well. have already taken out some of my favs on campus.

boy, I disagree.

Where South Campus is planned, you currently have ugly apartments and parking lots. Based upon the plans, they're looking to integrate the stream (I'm willing to bet most students don't know it exists), and put up buildings in our traditional style to replace the apartments. As far as south campus goes, I couldn't find a building that's planned that will be built in an area that's currently natural land.

My only concern is integration of parking decks. It will be interesting to see how that's handled since we currently have none.

Interesting to compare the Master Plan with an overhead shot of the current campus. As you can see UR is not planning on chopping down too many trees for all the campus additions. Looks like a few have to go with the new Sorority Building and its parking, as well as a few here and there. But it looks like more would be planted to make up for it. All in all it looks like a well thought out and exciting plan.

6298605061_4106bd9cf6_b.jpg

Asked JM about the lack of athletic projects in the master plan...he pointed to IM fields being converted to artificial surface and reconfiguring River Road fields from two fields to four for both varsity athletic and general use.

And he admitted that there is flexibility to respond to new needs, so if someone is willing to write a check, something could get done.

Still wish we could be more proactive about athletic facility ideas though...

would be nice if the proposed parking decks would go underground as opposed to above ground, would certainly retain the beauty of the campus much better.

My understanding is that the one on the RC tennis courts is intended to be partially subterranean or at least built into the side of a hill somewhat to lower its profile. But it's still a three-level, 450-space garage, so it will be visible.

don't know how many of you have read Dr. Heilman's autobiography but when the discussions started on a cap campaign after he became president he presented the board with the number he wanted and certain members thought he was nuts, crazy because they had never even though about a figure that high and he told them, he was the wrong man if they did not think bigger, much bigger. he was such the right guy at the right time.

From a recent letter from Dr. Ayers.

"Given the mild winter weather, construction on the Student Activities Center has made steady progress with exterior walls and roof structures taking shape. Completion is anticipated for late summer. In February the Board of Trustees approved the next projects in Phase 1 of Master Plan implementation? synthetic surfaces for two intramural fields; renovation of the 100, 300, and 400 blocks of the University Forest Apartments; interim renovation of Ryland Hall and North Court (academic wing); and Boatwright Memorial Library renovation, Phase 1. In addition, they approved the hiring of design teams for two new housing projects, the 144-bed suite-style residence hall behind South Court and the 176-bed apartmentstyle residence hall on the South Campus. Phase I of the Master Plan also includes significant renovations to the Robins Center, and that work has begun with improvements to the men’s and women’s basketball spaces, which will enhance recruiting as well as the experience of current student-athletes.

As part of the Housing and Dining Master Plan, surveys were administered focusing on space design, location, and amenities for both housing and dining services. The housing survey strongly reaffirmed that current housing offerings?the mix of single gender and co-ed, along with traditional doubles, suites, and apartments?are highly supported by our students and significant progress has been made with respect to campus amenities. The need to address the condition of the apartments and the desire for more single accommodations and residence hall common spaces were also identified. This information, along with other data collected, will be used in planning for the new South Campus residence hall and low-rise student apartments. Dining survey responses indicated a desire for a more even distribution of campus dining locations, later dinner hours, and expanded service options on weekends and late night. This information will inform decisions about food-related services in housing redevelopment and South Campus development."

Sounds like South Campus is going to move ahead pretty quickly. Very exciting.

Interesting to see how quickly they are moving forward with the new apartment complexes. This, combined with the administrative / admissions are on River Road will change that end of campus an incredible amount.

7018103685_02c76008ed_c.jpg

6871995382_62664e8735_b.jpg

The current UFAs are really more like townhouses than apartments and their single-family feeling of freedom is what makes them so cool generally. You have to be careful going to a true multi-family concept not to loose the control you feel in an attached single-family/townhouse units. If it ends up being more like apartments, it will suck for the kids because the students will still be "under their thumb" the way you feel in the dorms as freshmen and sophomores. I bet that they can find the right mix though- we do a damn good job at most things.

New photos of the student activity center project under construction...

Thanks, RCSGA. I hadn't realized my link got vaporized yesterday. I'll put it here in the body of this post so that hopefully it'll survive long enough to make the journey through the long series of tubes that it is the Internet.

Drove through campus yesterday. Better half and I could no figure how they will do a RR entrance that allows one to see Boatwright Tower without more deforestation and even then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT