ADVERTISEMENT

Burton going through draft process again, no decision on returning to UR

This is correct. He was the guy who revealed the existence of Oval Office taping.

Lisa was the girlfriend of one of my frat brothers. Knew her well.
I knew Mark Ovenden through WCRC, saw him about 10 years ago out here when South Dakota State played in a WBB regional, he was working for a Sioux Falls TV station. You guys and Phi Kap were the best on NFR. The KAs and Theta Xs were a little too redneck for me. Spent several block parties on your front lawn. Either you or Phi Kap had an "international" film festival put on by the pledges, IIRC.

Reactions: KE Spider
The KAs and Theta Xs were a little too redneck for me.
Ha! We just partied a little more and were less sophisticated about it. Many outstanding life long memories and friends from NFR. The lies and war stories get bigger every year.

Go Spiders!

Reactions: Gallipoli
Good times indeed. A core group of those Phi Kaps still gather for tailgates at football games. Yep. The stories live on.

Good times indeed. A core group of those Phi Kaps still gather for tailgates at football games. Yep. The stories live on.
The 1970s-80s Pikes have a big tailgater in the B3 lot every home game. And we just got re-chartered, Omicron will return to campus this fall after many years on double-secret probation. Mr. Stu Bean, a good friend, was a great Phi Kap.

Reactions: KE Spider
KE's have a long time group of tailgaters too (2 actually - different age groups). Many were traveling 150 miles or more, but after Lauletta's graduation, our crew has dwindled.

KE's have a long time group of tailgaters too (2 actually - different age groups). Many were traveling 150 miles or more, but after Lauletta's graduation, our crew has dwindled.
That’s really cool to hear. During my time at Richmond (2012-2016) interest in football among the student body was paltry at best

Kyle roomed with the son of one of my college roommates.

That’s really cool to hear. During my time at Richmond (2012-2016) interest in football among the student body was paltry at best
Ply, why was that? Disinterest in the sport? More attractive entertainment alternatives? Lack of school spirit? etc., etc.

Flagging student support has been discussed here for years. Hoping someone from your generation can provide some insight.

It was such a big part of the college experience for most back in the 70s. Essentially game day was a party day with football thrown in too!

Ply, why was that? Disinterest in the sport? More attractive entertainment alternatives? Lack of school spirit? etc., etc.

Flagging student support has been discussed here for years. Hoping someone from your generation can provide some insight.

It was such a big part of the college experience for most back in the 70s. Essentially game day was a party day with football thrown in too!
In a weird way I think the move back to fb games on campus somewhat contributed to this since while tailgates still exist they seems to be more alumni than students compared to what I remember in the fields next to City Stadium in the early to mid 90s.

Reactions: urfan1
Students haven't really gone to football games en masse regularly in the three decades I've been following the program. For big games they'll show up, but otherwise it's mostly been a tailgating thing and then they leave at halftime or sooner. I do think moving on campus made it less of an event, which hurt.

Not ply so can't speak for him, but having worked with students from that same timeframe there had a decent amount of experience. The majority of their students are either from the Northeast or major metro areas. Neither of which are strong hubs of college football where people follow the sport.

Don't let the apathy of supporting our own programs fool you, plenty of the students there are huge pro sports fans. Ton of NHL, MLB, NFL fans there. Many of them were on the spirit squad at their own high schools but found that their was almost not encouraged to support the teams at the school, almost as if it was ingrained into the culture.

Unpopular opinion, but I still maintain leaving City Stadium killed the big game atmosphere around the games we had. Robbins stadium, while nice, gives off the aura of a Richmond Flying Squirrels game while the rustic charm of city stadium gave the crowds character. Someone tell me how often we have seen that atmosphere on campus?

The schools heart was in the right place, but moving on campus killed community support for the program and the students did not pick up the slack. Its mainly for alumni gatherings that are more likely to stand around the charcuterie table than in the stadium. Maybe some people enjoy that sterile atmosphere with a track, but give me those capacity crowd games at city stadium any day of the week over games where we couldn't even outdraw Varina and Highland Springs.

Lets be real too, there is a ton more to do both off campus and on than there was in the 1970s.

The golden era of student support at least in my life time was when @Spiders05 was running the rowdies. The student support hasn't even come close to what it was when he ran it and when he left the drop-off was immediate. If we had just one student or frat that cared about it the way those guys did, I guarantee you the Robins Center/Stadium would be far more intimidating. He singlehandedly help build a student section for UR at the costco center back in the day.

P.S. Bring back the rowdy run.

Last edited:
Males no longer have a 2-1 enrollment ratio, as when I was in school.

The downsizing of the fraternity system has hurt. We always had 40-50 guys at football games, plus dates. So did most every other fraternity, I think there were 11 on campus then (7 OFR, 4 NFR). That doesn't happen anymore.

Fraternity row should be hopping on game day, with alums returning to their lodges. Instead, when I've been back for Homecoming, the one Saturday they all should be open and hosting parties, I noticed almost all the lodges are closed.

From my experience most people didn’t think it was a “real” sport because it was FCS and not FBS. It had nowhere near the support basketball did. I also though found that the student body was not very interested in sports in general.

There were a few tailgates which were popular but I don’t think many went to the game after

From my experience most people didn’t think it was a “real” sport because it was FCS and not FBS. It had nowhere near the support basketball did. I also though found that the student body was not very interested in sports in general.

There were a few tailgates which were popular but I don’t think many went to the game after
Tailgates.
Pre-game.
Maybe a half of football, but mostly looking at your phone.
Leave at halftime.

FCS football is primarily for alumni In my opinion. Looks like the top 3 CAA football teams in attendance in 2022 were Delaware (17k), New Hampshire (10.7k), and W&M (10k). I can guarantee there are no more W&M students at games than at UR.

Sad but true that college sports aren’t as popular with the college students especially the smaller schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT